It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students get pepper sprayed by science instructor for extra credit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

No worries.
I do understand the point of your OP.
It seems a little odd voluntarily doing something which you know is going to cause pain.

When I was at school I saw a kid get his nose broken when we had boxing.
Also two broken arms and two broken legs (four different people) playing soccer and other sports.
It didn't stop them from doing sports when they recovered.

Im sure I might feel differently if it was my kid but I don't have any.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: Sheye
There is an officer there so I imagine it was set up with LE as a way to experience what pepper spray does as well.

Maybe I'm over reacting ... and it was all good for everyone involved.. and a lesson in how to avoid pepper spray 😂

It may be a bit of an overreaction.
I got worse than pepper spray in basic training in the Navy.
LEO's have to get sprayed to use it AFAIK.

Thanks for that info .. wasn't aware of that.

Maybe I am over reacting but there is no chance I would have signed a permission slip as a parent.. and would have demanded that there be another " experiment" to choose from for extra credit.

High school students are not enlisting into the forces .. let them participate in this sort of awareness when they do.
edit on 17-5-2017 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

There is an officer there so I imagine it was set up with LE as a way to experience what pepper spray does as well.

Maybe I'm over reacting ... and it was all good for everyone involved.. and a lesson in how to avoid pepper spray 😂

It may be a bit of an overreaction.
I got worse than pepper spray in basic training in the Navy.
LEO's have to get sprayed to use it AFAIK.

Thanks for that info .. wasn't aware of that.

Maybe I am over reacting but there is no chance I would have signed a permission slip as a parent.. and would have demanded that there be another " experiment" to choose from for extra credit.

High school students are not enlisting into the forces .. let them participate in this sort of awareness when they do.

I can't blame you.
I probably wouldn't have signed a permission slip for that either, unless either of my kids begged me AND watched a video of the effects of pepper spray on a person first.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
There was an LEO there to supervise.

Also seems that this was for a Criminal Science Class.

Everyone signed a permission slip to voluntarily participate.

What's the issue?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
There was an LEO there to supervise.

Also seems that this was for a Criminal Science Class.

Everyone signed a permission slip to voluntarily participate.

What's the issue?

I guess the issue is watching these young adults go through serious pain and perhaps life long injuries as a poster stated earlier, all for a criminal science project ?

Seems sadistic to me. Show them videos of actual people that LEO's felt they had to pepper spray instead .

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I thought it was funny, they decided they wanted extra credit and knew exactly what was going to happen.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

Sorry, but this is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. That teacher and that cop should be reprimanded at least. Any parent who knowingly authorized this should be referred to Dpt of Children and Families.

Agreed 100%. I had to get sprayed as part of training for one particular job I had once. The instructor told us if we closed our eyes while we were being sprayed he'd spray us twice, so I got it good. Pepper spray is no joke, there's a reason it sends raging grizzly bears running for their lives. Spraying a bunch of high school kids who have no idea what they're in for is cruel.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

the issue is this is #ing stupid.
i would never have signed that slip and if my kid would have been anywhere near this i would have lost my # about it for sure.
school is not for toughening kids up and this is not the military or police force where kids need to know what this feels like.
idiots all around. the teacher. the cop. the parents signing. the kids that want it and the people in this thread that have no problem with it

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
after reading these replies, I definitely see why this country is filling up with wimps and schmucks... I'm losing hope

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ware2010
after reading these replies, I definitely see why this country is filling up with wimps and schmucks... I'm losing hope

Funny how someone losing hope, gives others hope ,that perhaps humanity isn't as cruel as some think it's ok to be.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ware2010

Funny how someone losing hope, gives others hope .

I like that.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

The police get pepper sprayed in the academy. If there was a chance of life long injuries I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't be pepper spraying them in the academy.

These kids signed up to get sprayed with parent permission. It's not like the teacher lined the class up randomly and pepper sprayed the class with his LEO friend.

I can't be angry with the teacher for going through the proper administrative steps to conduct this extra credit.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
school is not for toughening kids up and this is not the military or police force

Exactly. There's a difference between telling little Jimmy to stop crying and get up after he fell and scraped his knee playing soccer and acting like it's ok to use a chemical on children that is designed to be so powerful that it stops toughened criminals and raging bears dead in their tracks.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
As a former cop whom has been sprayed multiple times as well as Tased, not to mention gas chambers in the Army . . . I must say that I would pass up the extra credit if this was offered in a college class I was taking. Indeed, I would voluntarily be tased again prior to getting hit with OC spray (pepper spray).

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89
As a former cop whom has been sprayed multiple times as well as Tased, not to mention gas chambers in the Army . . . I must say that I would pass up the extra credit if this was offered in a college class I was taking. Indeed, I would voluntarily be tased again prior to getting hit with OC spray (pepper spray).

Thank you for posting that info . That is a serious statement coming from someone who's experienced it.. and you were brave enough to be honest about it.

Anybody calls you a wuss for being honest , I'm gonna want to pepper spray them 😜

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89

Former cop huh? Then youve met folks like me... pepper spray / OC / CS isnt fun, but doesnt effect me very badly. In fact, Id prefer CS to pepper spray! LOL! AND I hate spicy hot food. My 11 yr old would put pepper spray on her food if she could.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Yup, there is about 20% that it barely affects and about 2% that it does nothing to at all.

I can sit in the chamber with CS for hours with no effect (former CBRN NCO), but that OC is absolutely horrid.

But the strangest was a 100 lb girl in my police academy who was not affected at all by the Taser.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join