It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a Toyota tech in the house?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I work in a body shop. At work right now there is a 2013 Toyota Highlander that's been hit in the rear. We had to replace the rear bumper and liftgate.

When I started working on the vehicle, the liftgate would open. I don't know if the power liftgate would work or not but you could push the button, it would unlatch, and you could manually open the liftgate.

Now that I have removed the old gate and replaced it, I can't get it to open. The only thing I haven't put back is the trim pad because I don't want to have to take it off again. Should be fine though, since there's no electronics in the trim pad itself. I have checked all the wires and connections multiple times, making sure that no wires have been cut or pinched, and that all connectors are securely fastened and there's no loose connections anywhere.

When I shut the gate, the button doesn't seem to do anything to manually open the liftgate. No noises, the gate doesn't unlatch, nothing happens. If I press the button on the key fob it gives me one long continuous beep for several seconds and doesn't open. Same thing with the button inside by the driver's seat. I have checked the override switch in the glove box and tried it in both positions with the same results. If the liftgate is open the close button on the gate also gives me a long, continuous beep just like the open buttons do.

I'm at a loss for what went wrong and what to try next.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

I did a little google search and found this:

How do I reset the height on my 2014 Highlander adjustable power liftgate?

With the liftgate open and not moving, press and hold the rear liftgate button until it beeps 4 times (button is located on the door jamb of the rear liftgate, and only accessible when the liftgate is open). Continue to hold until it beeps twice, and then let go. Close the liftgate. When you next open the liftgate it will open to the factory settings.

Hope it helps.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I'm an auto electronics tech. First and obviously check all fuses, in the car and under the hood. The get a power probe at the harness in the trunk, check for 12v pulse when you hit the release button. Finally, lastly with the probe throw 12v to the trunk latch. It it doesn't work then bad release motor.

edit on 5 175417 1717 by WUNK22 because: Spell

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
a reply to: Aldakoopa

I did a little google search and found this:

How do I reset the height on my 2014 Highlander adjustable power liftgate?

With the liftgate open and not moving, press and hold the rear liftgate button until it beeps 4 times (button is located on the door jamb of the rear liftgate, and only accessible when the liftgate is open). Continue to hold until it beeps twice, and then let go. Close the liftgate. When you next open the liftgate it will open to the factory settings.

Hope it helps.

I've googled it myself and all that happens when I push that button is one long continuous beep like with all the other buttons.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I'll go with wunk22 but also add that if there is a connector going to the tailgate itself, it may not be not making contact correctly. I used to help a friend in his body shop once in a while with things. Never worked on a Toyota though, except to change an alternator.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Last time I made a post about fuses and car electronics, you suggested I get a power probe. I guess I should have taken your advice then. I don't have a power probe but maybe I can rig something up. I'm gonna start probing around with my multimeter now. All fuses checked out good.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Power probe is my go to tool. It can pulse 12volt negative and positive. Best of all airbag safe!! Is like $60, used it everyday, I have three, home, auto, shop. You won't be disappointed.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Well, even if I did have a power probe right now I wouldn't know exactly what wire to send power to. I've done all the probing amd checking I can. We called the dealer, they were no help over the phone (didn't really expect them to be). We're taking it to another shop that's got a guy that's real good with electronics now.

Edit, forgot to add, the button works, but there is no power going to the latch assembly and no change in any way when the button is pressed.
edit on 17-5-2017 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Check all the normal culprits and then use the "Muscle Mode" you know bang it, kick it, etc. then I would check the repair manual/automotiveforums

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Just figured I should give anyone who cares an update on this.

We just picked it back up from the mechanic today. He said the alignment of the latch and striker was off from the accident (which we knew but couldn't fix yet because we needed to get the latch working first) and it put the motor on the latch in enough of a bind that it entered what he called 'pinch mode' where the computer thought it was about to crush someone's hand or a baby or whatever so it shut down completely, not allowing any power to go to the latch at all, and he reset it with his tool for us. We don't have that kind of equipment so I would have never gotten it to work.

new topics

top topics

join