It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another large-scale cyberattack underway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
*Please mods move to corret forum*

Things will get interesting by the end of this week...

Another large-scale, stealthy cyberattack is underway on a scale that could dwarf last week's assault on computers worldwide, a global cybersecurity firm told AFP on Wednesday.

The new attack targets the same vulnerabilities the WannaCry ransomware worm exploited but, rather than freeze files, uses the hundreds of thousands of computers believed to have been infected to mine virtual currency.

Following the detection of the WannaCry attack on Friday, "researchers at Proofpoint discovered a new attack linked to WannaCry called Adylkuzz," said Nicolas Godier, a researcher at the computer security firm.

"It uses the hacking tools recently disclosed by the NSA and which have since been fixed by Microsoft in a more stealthy manner and for a different purpose," he said.

Yeaaa, go government!

"We don't know how big it is" but "it's much bigger than WannaCry", Proofpoint's vice president for email products, Robert Holmes, told AFP.

Proofpoint said in a blog that symptoms of the attack include loss of access to shared Windows resources and degradation of PC and server performance, effects which some users may not notice immediately.

"As it is silent and doesn't trouble the user, the Adylkuzz attack is much more profitable for the cyber criminals. It transforms the infected users into unwitting financial supporters of their attackers," said Godier.

Maybe I have it right now on my computer... Nice job NSA

Source
edit on 17/5/2017 by vinifalou because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
never mind...
edit on 17-5-2017 by intrptr because: OP added link

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

www.proofpoint.com...

So this malware closes off the WannaCry vulnerability so it can safely mine cryptocoins. lol

Over the subsequent weekend, however, we discovered another very large-scale attack using both EternalBlue and DoublePulsar to install the cryptocurrency miner Adylkuzz. Initial statistics suggest that this attack may be larger in scale than WannaCry, affecting hundreds of thousands of PCs and servers worldwide: because this attack shuts down SMB networking to prevent further infections with other malware (including the WannaCry worm) via that same vulnerability, it may have in fact limited the spread of last week’s WannaCry infection.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Sure, there are programs to protect your PC...but this is why I exclusively use Apple.
Never had a problem

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I've had very good experience with Microsoft Security Essentials if people need PC protection.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Windows 10 no issues in 5 or so years

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Is it compatible with windows 10 ??
Currently using defender and malwarebytes.

edit on 17-5-2017 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Definitely isn't the 'chan.

Wonder who is behind it. Probably a couple freelancers. Anon doesn't steal, just shuts down websites using bandwidth killer tactics.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Iconic

It has crossed my mind that maybe it's "someone" or "something" trying to blame North Korea.

This would be an very first act of war. Times are changing and this is how we do things now: technologically.

I mean, the software is from NSA and the vulnerability is from Microsoft. Come on, these guys knows how to hide things up!

Or maybe it's my conspiracy mind trying to figure thins out.
edit on 17/5/2017 by vinifalou because: heh

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Windows 10 was officially launched in 2015, are you from the future?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I'm not a hardcore conspiracy theorist, but I know enough about modern security to know that this isn't being done by babies in the basement.

My intuition tells me this is being performed by some powers that be (SPTB).

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I hope it hits some of the computers of the political partisans trolling this site out?

What a teeth grinder that would be!

Warmest

Lags

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
If they want your information, they will get your information.

By no means take that as agreement or acquiescence.

We have known for a long time, long enough ago to have done something about it, or to have pushed them further underground with their antics, but we turned a deaf ear and a blind eye to their shenanigans, so here we are.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
As far as I have heard, it tries to utilize the same weaknesses this wannacrybaby-trojan already has used.

Therefore, if your computer worked tuesday, it might very well keep on working.

Unless the Shadowbrokers hid some other nuclear-option of a software error deep in the wikileaks.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
So much for "mining" money. Anyone really think that would not get abused.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
As far as I have heard, it tries to utilize the same weaknesses this wannacrybaby-trojan already has used.

Therefore, if your computer worked tuesday, it might very well keep on working.

Unless the Shadowbrokers hid some other nuclear-option of a software error deep in the wikileaks.

Any weaknesses are being exposed by the very designers of the operating systems. That's the significant issue. Security is almost airtight these days. It takes a mole to produce one, now. The moles live by the beavers, now.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

Waiting to hear the obligatory "y0mg! itz the rUssiAnzZz cuz cyrillic charz in s0rs-k0de!" ... 3..2..1...

top topics

join