It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My First Sewing Project

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Nice stitching work mate.

Now blow some snot into that hanky to make it look more manly for the rednecks here...

Warmest

Lags
edit on 17-5-2017 by Lagomorphe because: Crap spelling

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Thanks!

It's pretty slow going as I am still very much a rookie!

I actually do carry a handkerchief daily...and I do 'use' them.

It was kind of funny this morning; I'd left the project out on the table last night and the wife unit had already absconded with it this morning when I woke up. "Hey, that one was for me!", I had to tell her. (I'd already made her a simple suede bag from some scraps I was learning with previously).

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Thanks!

It's pretty slow going as I am still very much a rookie!

I actually do carry a handkerchief daily...and I do 'use' them.

It was kind of funny this morning; I'd left the project out on the table last night and the wife unit had already absconded with it this morning when I woke up. "Hey, that one was for me!", I had to tell her. (I'd already made her a simple suede bag from some scraps I was learning with previously).

I tip my hat off to you dear sir...

I'm the one that does all the sewing here as my Mrs hates it... Something we learned in the army I guess!

I was also brought up to know how to stitch.

Warmest

Lags

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

On an even more comical note...

A while back I mentioned to the wife I was looking at sewing machines. She nearly instantly recoiled and said..."I canNOT sew, I do NOT want to learn how to sew, so if you think you're doing me a favor by buying a sewing machine, you are sorely mistaken!!!!"

WOW!! Struck a nerve there I guess! LOLOLOL!! I cracked up.

"Well, alrighty then! I guess there's no mincing of words there, now is there???!!!", I replied (in between chuckles and snorts). "It's for me, Silly! I'm gonna' learn how to do this."

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
DON'T I repeat DON'T go to the Brother site and start looking at knitting machines...

Warmest

Lags

a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Good job -- and congrats!!!

There is nothing un-manly about sewing. It's a valuable life skill! My brothers had to learn to sew right along with my sisters and me. My dad thought it was important for us all to be resourceful and self-sufficient. The Boy Scouts even had a merit badge for sewing. (I don't know if they still do).

If you're interested, the absolute best sewing book I've ever seen is by [url=https://www.etsy.com/listing/85387463/1960s-sewing-book-vintage-patterns?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-craft_suppl ies_and_tools-patterns_and_how_to-books_and_magazines&utm_custom1=6fe4602b-749d-4a69-994c-649367f862b7&gclid=CNmn-ZWb99MCFUWBfgodgDMIUQ]Simplicity.[/u rl] I believe it's been updated since I first got it, but what I love about it is that is explains exactly how and why to do things, in very easily understood terms, and then those basic principles can be applied in lots of other ways. I just bought one on Amazon for my daughter-in-law, and she loves it.

Have fun and enjoy!!!

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I sew and have since school. My Grandmother taught me and that knowledge has come in handy through the years in hemming pants while in Basic training and for my own sanity as I find it the most relaxing thing for me to do. I enjoying cross stitch and am currently working on two quilts.

Don't let anyone tell you it's not a manly skill as it is something everyone should have at least a little knowledge of. Surgeons sew when they stitch up wounds and you can make your own bugout bags if that is your interest which saves loads of money for everything else. Lots of men are quilting now days and you would be surprised how much money that quilts sell for.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Too late...we already have one. The wife doesn't like to sew, but she does like to knit. (or did).

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Dumb post I guess.

Apologies.

No it's not a dumb post. It's just the ever present snark, jealousy and criticism of anyone creative.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Awesome job. Well done. Nothing wrong with a man who sews. Good workmanship.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I think it turned out great. Wife does most of the sewing around here, but I stitch things back together as well. I never felt less manly about it- most woman actually like it so don't sweat that at all.
Have you made the furry black missile a bandanna yet?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Nothing unmanly about it. I own an upholstery shop and my work is in demand. I don't do much in the way of clothes, but I know some people that make costumes for TV and plays and they do a very steady business. I'll do things like furniture, boats, and sometimes automotive. But my bread and butter is making things for shipyards.

It's a very useful skill to have. If you can afford it, check into getting an embroidery machine. They pay for themselves in no time. Make the design on the computer, upload it to the machine, push a few buttons and walk away. Custom design your own caps. Need a quick, inexpensive, personalized gift? Buy some towels and embroider them. One year for Christmas I took a picture of my girlfriend and created a framed, embroidered picture. It took a lot of time to get right, but the end result was beautiful. I also embroidered the headliner and rear speaker covers in my 91 Trans Am with the screaming chicken logo. I'll embroider the seats when I get around to reupholstering them. (The cobbler's shoes always need repair.)

I wouldn't mind designing my own clothes, but for the most part I wear sweats in the winter and shorts in the summer. I'm not exactly Mr. Fashion.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

That's cool. I have no ambitions for fashion clothing, more so functional stuff. Like you, my daily 'fashion' is usually Carhartts. I also work outside in some pretty extreme weather sometimes. You quickly figure out what works and what doesn't when the wind is blowing 50mph and it's snowing sideways. Almost more importantly you find out what things could be improved upon, and this is a skill area I'd like to develop.

I've already looked into sergers, but not too much embroidery stuff yet. For now I'm just going to try to master the basics.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

I assume you are referring to Cisco the ACD, correct? (he's actually more reddish). No, but maybe I'll add that to the list. He's already got a few, but I worry sometimes that they may hang up on a fence (so I usually take them off him).

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
There are some miserable gits in this world but, thank goodness, you're not one of them.

The handkerchief looked neat, well made and fit for purpose so keep up the good work.

I'll be more than a little interested to see pics of the dogs when you've made them matching tutus

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Flyingclaydisk

Oh lord! That is sooo much better than my sewing...I started out with curtains (blinds actually) and have been doing a bit here and there since then. Last item I sewed was a voodoo doll. (no, it wasn't a real voodoo doll). My sister just saw it and decided she had to have it. I thought it was the ugliest thing ever..lol.

Good job on that handkerchief. It really is nice looking!

Thanks,
blend57

edit on 17-5-2017 by blend57 because: Always an edit! : /

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Cool!!!!
I think it's great you've decided to sew....it's a handy thing to be able to do.

I used to sew quite a bit, made some great clothes over the years.
Dresses, pants, stuff that I was not able to buy in stores.
And often far cheaper than what was available in stores, and unique.

Haven't sewn much lately.
Or knitted.....I need to get back to that.
Knitting was my first love.....and what I can do the best.

Also, I think too much is made about manly or womanly activities.
If you enjoy it, go for it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join