It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My First Sewing Project

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I've been wanting to do this for a long time...

With all the talented folks here who sew different articles I finally broke down and got a sewing machine. For the longest time I've had so many different projects I wanted to put together which you just can't buy in stores. But then there was the whole stigma of the "man sewing" thing which probably played a part in my 54 year delay. In any case, I'm now in business.

After learning how to use the sewing machine (self taught) and practicing some stitches on some scrap cloth I decided to sit down and make a fairly simple project, a handkerchief. Here are the results of my first attempt.

Let me know what you think. I've been sewing now for just about one half of one day.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
And the knife is there to make it more 'manly'?

You should do what you enjoy, but I don't understand
why you'd put this on a forum?
If it was something magnificent then, yeah, It would
make sense to me.

Anyhow, keep up the sewing work!
edit on 17-5-2017 by snewpers because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: snewpers
And the knife is there to make it more 'manly'?

You should do what you enjoy, but I don't understand
why you'd put this on a forum?
If it was something magnificent then, yeah, It would
make sense to me.

Anyhow, keep up the sewing work!

Well, it was pretty 'magnificent' to me because it was the first time I did anything like that. Sorry it's not a work of art.

Oh, and the knife...it's really just there for scale.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Dumb post I guess.

Apologies.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Sewing is not dumb or "unmanly".
I've sewn for years. I can hem jeans, sew buttons, put in new zippers, and, to a small degree, do needlepoint. I just don't have the patience for it, though.
I like having a female around....I don't need one.
Looks good FCD, keep it up.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

No its not a dumb post.

You made something with your hands.
Most likely a far more greater accomplishment then anything the nay sayers have pulled off.

Good job!

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Heh, I guess I probably should have ironed it first (before taking the picture). It's all wrinkly from being turned right-side-out. Had to sew both sides while it was inside-out.

I guess it shows in the picture, but it's actually two sided.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: snewpers

Change your tune when you figured out noone else was going to jump on the "dumb post" bandwagon?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Nice job.

I could never get the hang of the machine, or sewing in general really.
I can hem and darn and make basic repairs but, that's about it.
I'd rather use the old sock for a cleaning rag/dust rag/bird feeder/whatever and buy a new pair.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Dumb post I guess.

Apologies.

Not dumb at all.

I used to want to quilt but I don't have the patience to make stitches like that. Those are really nice.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
My goal is to learn to be able to make some outdoor gear (but I'm sure that is a ways off yet). I'll likely start by modifying some existing items and hopefully work up to actually being able to construct something in total. With as much time as I spend outdoors, it seems like there's always something I wish had some different features than the way it was made.

I hope one day to be able to work with some heavy (blanket weight) wool for outdoor clothing.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I think it's a lovely, yet manly, handkerchief. I find sewing to be very satisfying.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

anyone who thinks that sewing is unmanly needs to consider, all those in the armed services don't have anyone to repair their clothing while their in the trenches.... at least my dad didn't when he was.
and my dad had sewed quit a few quilts before he went into the service.. it was how his family got through the depression and he was expected to pull his weight also.

you can find a lot of different sewing projects on youtube..

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I've got to admit that one of those stars were from me because of the manly knife comment, lol. I lolled, I starred.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Would a flower have been better?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Nice work. I sew too. Nice knife. Have you tried any leather work? I think making things for yourself is much more satisfying than buying some crap from the store. It will mean the same to you in 20 years as it does now.
edit on 17-5-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

A flower with a knife in it would have been better. Conquering your feminine side lol.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Funny you would mention leather! Yes, it is very much next on the list. In fact, I was torn actually when I got the sewing machine thinking maybe I should get some leather making tools/supplies instead. The deciding factor was I had more projects I wanted to do which involved nylon, cordura, canvas and so forth. I can do leather on this machine too, but I haven't tried it. I was mainly planning on doing the leatherwork by hand.

I raise cattle so I guess I have a pretty much unlimited supply of leather if I wanted. We just give it away, but I wouldn't have to I guess.

I don't have any intention to do anything super exotic with leather though, like saddles and so forth. I'd mainly be interested in it for sheaths, holsters and other smaller (simpler) items.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

I'm really not too worried about conquering my feminine side.

My wife pretty much fixed that for me many years ago!

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Lol, ikr.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join