It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYT: Trump Asked Comey To Drop Flynn Investigation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Can you say obstruction of justice?

WASHINGTON — President Trump asked the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, to shut down the federal investigation into Mr. Trump’s former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, in an Oval Office meeting in February, according to a memo that Mr. Comey wrote shortly after the meeting.

“I hope you can let this go,” the president told Mr. Comey, according to the memo.

The existence of Mr. Trump’s request is the clearest evidence that the president has tried to directly influence the Justice Department and F.B.I. investigation into links between Mr. Trump’s associates and Russia.

Mr. Comey wrote the memo detailing his conversation with the president immediately after the meeting, which took place the day after Mr. Flynn resigned, according to two people who read the memo. The memo was part of a paper trail Mr. Comey created documenting what he perceived as the president’s improper efforts to influence an ongoing investigation. An F.B.I. agent’s contemporaneous notes are widely held up in court as credible evidence of conversations.

Mr. Comey shared the existence of the memo with senior F.B.I. officials and close associates. The New York Times has not viewed a copy of the memo, which is unclassified, but one of Mr. Comey’s associates read parts of the memo to a Times reporter.

The President of the United States trying to kill an investigation into his National Security Advisor, a man who had been a top level campaign advisor and who had just been exposed for lying about his communications with Russian Ambassador Kislyak? Let's be very clear here. If this is true, this is plainly obstruction of justice.

The article also says that following a meeting in the Oval Office, President Trump asked everyone to leave the room except Comey, including VP Pence and AG Sessions. This meeting is alleged to have taken place on February 14, the day after the Flynn resignation.

In a statement to the NYT, the WH denied the account of the meeting saying, "This is not a truthful or accurate portrayal of the conversation between the president and Mr. Comey."

If the reporting is accurate and Mr. Comey is willing to testify, this exchange could wind up in an article of impeachment. It appears from the additional reporting on this that Comey had a habit of creating a paper trail to cover his ass so there might be more forthcoming.

It's going to be really interesting to see if Comey is questioned about this in open testimony and reads the memo.
edit on 2017-5-16 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue May 16 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: SOURCE IS NEEDED

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I just dropped this in the old thread too.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Missed It by 2 min.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Yeah I saw. I don't really like posting things without doing some additional reading and taking the time to comment but sometimes that means I get beat to the "post" button.

link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

What a tangled web this is getting to be.

Comey testifying is going to get big ratings. Really big ratings.
edit on 16-5-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

link   

Guess he should have just met him in secret on a tarmac, eh?

If this did happen, I don't think it is that big of a deal. If Trump thought he was innocent, why not ask Comey to let it go? Now had he ordered Comey to stop, that would be a different matter.

By the same token, did you find Obamas statement declaring Hillary had done absolutely nothing wrong before the investigation to be worthy of impeachment?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

It puts the burden of proof on trump. Comey has been known to keep extensive notes and this memo was found within documentation Comey left behind at the FBI.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I missed the part where "Trump asked Comey to drop Flynn investigation".

Misleading thread title.

Fake news as usual.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

according to two people who read the memo

The New York Times has not viewed a copy of the memo

Joke BS

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: SirHardHarry
Posted: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.