It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Docs Try to Treat Mermaid Syndrome Baby

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
A nine-month-old baby girl who was born with fused legs, a rare condition known as sirenomelia, or "mermaid syndrome," will undergo surgery to separate her legs. Because this condition is usually associated with internal organ abnormalities, children born with this condition almost never survive more than a few days. This child's internal organs are normal, except that she has only one kidney. The operation will take five hours and future operations will be needed to correct the orientation of her feet and to reconstruct her genitalia.

www.comcast.net
A Peruvian medical team is preparing for pioneering surgery to separate the fused legs of a 9-month-old girl born with a rare condition known as sirenomelia, or "mermaid syndrome."

Milagros Cerron, who has fused legs but separated feet, is one of very few people in the world with the condition, doctors say.

A team of doctors will attempt to free her legs from each other on Feb. 24. at one of Lima's charity hospitals for the poor, said lead surgeon Luis Rubio on Thursday.

"This is a child that has her own personality," he said in an interview with the Associated Press. "Her relation to her surroundings is good. She babbles words. She is enchanting and is a wonderful joy."

The girl was born in the mountain city of Huancayo, 125 miles east of the capital, Lima. Almost none of the children born with this condition survives more than several days because of defects to their internal organs, Rubio said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Considering the state of the surgical arts in this day and age and the condition of this child's internal organs, it sounds as though she has a fighting chance to overcome this condition. Cases like this are always emotionally laden because of the vulnerabliity of the children and the fears that all prospective parents have regarding the health of their expected children. We can all hope that this child will have a happy and rewarding future.

Related News Links:
www.wjla.com

[edit on 27-4-2006 by parrhesia]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I don't know what happened, but this is my submission. Please advise.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Failed fix attempt.

[edit on 05/2/3 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Failed fix attempt.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I noticed that your 'reporter' status is missing. I once entered the control panel from BTS and lost my status. Is that perhaps what happened?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I resubmitted it and it worked. I have never had the reporter status on my avatar or whatever it's called, and just figure it has to do with the new server and the attendant bugs, etc.

So, never mind.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I've heard that if you have never added a "secondary title" under your nick, the reporter badge will not show up. Can't say for sure if that's why your Reporter tag hasn't ever been there Grady, but I'm glad you got your submit through.

I know you've submitted before without it, so I'm guessing that wasn't it.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   

GradyPhilpott Posts 3013 UID 21826
Mood: Congruent
Theme reporter

This is what it says on my settings page, so I'm good to go, but flying under radar. I'm the Stealth Reporter.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
You weren't logged in when you submitted. Copy it and submit as normal.

Edit: erm, I'm half-asleep over here. Yeah, you just need to be logged in to submit.
And your reporter tag will show up if you go to the ATS store and purchase a "custom title." It's a weird little bug.

[edit on 3-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

This is what it says on my settings page, so I'm good to go, but flying under radar. I'm the Stealth Reporter.

Good to Go

posted on Apr, 27 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   
edit: darn it, i meant to post my reply here: Sorry.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I removed the text, and posted it there, so can a moderator please close/delete this thread, as it is such a mess?

[edit on 4/27/2006 by cohiba]

top topics

join