It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could psychedelics become an accepted treatment for mental health problems?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

A few years ago, if you were to tell most people suffering from a serious mental health problem that their ills could be cured with a spot of Class A drugs, they might think you’ve, well, taken something.

Aided by a slew of recent scientific studies, however, the perception of many of many illegal substances – from '___' to ecstasy – as having no medicinal benefit is beginning to change. Earlier this month, for instance, US researchers found that ketamine might reduce rates of depression.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

I have read stories about Russian sage "consumption" being very helpful for chronic depression-now EL-SD and ex are involved in studies that say they are useful in treating depression.
This is a very deep story with some good history on how the system has kept this info hidden with tough nosed regs.
If given a choice between cow SH mushrooms or big phamra side effects (plus $100-$1000 a month)-cow poop mushrooms here I come.
edit on 16-5-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I understand there is a case to be made for hallucinogenic substances helping with a bunch of mental/emotional traumas.

The same is true for MDMA and other substances like it, which have been proven to help with depression. Awesome topic my friend!

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Pharma industry has trillions invested in synthetic drugs for this. Are you asking why an industry with an investment amount equaling a small country would want to prevent free/easily procurable natural remedies from becoming the treatment de jour? As long as they can exercise their money through lobbyist to prevent the law from changing, it won't matter if every single citizen in the country is for it.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I hate, and I do mean hate the fact that this is being kept from people who are in their own custom designed absolute hell.

If this helps, get it to the people. If you have an issue that can be helped with this "alternative" treatment....well...

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

They absolutely will be and this organization Maps is making sure of it!.

The truth is that mans consciousness has evolved to its state because of the ritual use of psychedelics. Are you familiar with Terrence Mckenna?

One of his long standing theories about the nature of conscious evolution, that I find to be very compelling, was that primitive man encountered psychedelic mushrooms, and it was the incorporation of psychedelics into the primitive diet that prompted self-realization and language to come into existence.

Currently the studies they are doing at MAPS include using mushrooms to help the terminally ill die with more comfort and the results are unbelievable. Conquering the fear of death, finding meaning to the lives and letting go of regret, connecting with their own spiritual essence in is such a powerful therapy for these people. Also using MDMA as treatment for PTSD has helped veterans and victims of rape.

We are designed to produce the most potent psychedelic known to man called '___'. It is said that we produce this when we are born and when we die. I highly recommend the documentary called The Spirit Molecule. It is about a study that was done on this amazing hormone.

And this substance is actually illegal!? With some of the harshest penalties.

It is inevitable and our evolution is being held back by a staggering level of ignorance about this subject.

edit on America/ChicagoTuesdayAmerica/Chicago05America/Chicago531amTuesday10 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I use common sage in cooking quite often, it tastes good and has some nootropic qualities. Almost all food has some psychotropic effects, even water. Properly moderating foods and spices in the diet can actually cure a high percentage of mental illnesses, most mental illnesses are created by metabolic intolerances which lead to imbalances in brain chemistry or just because a lop sided diet is in effect.

You do not need magic mushrooms to correct a mental issue. food chemistry choices can do things, boosting or lowering enzyme production with diet is very possible for most cases. There are some people who do have some uptake problems, these people may have to take a stronger pharmaceutical to balance things, but the number of people needing this is a tiny fraction of those who are on mood altering meds.

Pharma makes their money off of our ignorance of our ancestors knowledge and our disbelief in what I am talking about. People will say, Oh food never makes me high, they have no clue, we are constantly altering our perception of things every time we eat or don't eat. Even water can make us high. Some metabolic issues are genetic, meaning that our ancestors diet and environment was involved in how you need to correct the enzymes concentrations to balance things out.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

I love McKenna's work.

PS:

"All politicians should be required to drink Ayahuasca 10 times before taking office." - Graham Hancock

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Aided by a slew of recent scientific studies, however, the perception of many of many illegal substances – from '___' to ecstasy – as having no medicinal benefit is beginning to change. Earlier this month, for instance, US researchers found that ketamine might reduce rates of depression.

Regarding Ketamine, I'd always ask the question as to whether you've ever seen a horse without a long face...

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

Lots of info to go over thank you.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Microdosing psychedelics may be an actual cure for depression for a lot of people.

As time progresses and people eventually drop the lies they've been fed for 60+ years about these "drugs" we are going to see a revolution in the way a lot of mental health issues are treated.

But, first we have to get rid of the drug war dinosaurs.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I know *someone* who after one or two times about 5 to 7 years ago- decided they wanted to live even with their depression. They saw something beautiful in the world and in existence despite the pain that comes with it. Something that made living worthwhile.

However I also know someone who died because of it. Now whether or not it was really what he thought or some kind of manufactured wanna-be duplicate I don't know.

That sure would be something.

-Alee

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Just marijuana would be nice.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
dup
edit on 16-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Could psychedelics become an accepted treatment for mental health problems?

In a word, yes. Those of us who understand how much benefit potentially exists there, should keep our minds intent upon that happening. The biggest stumbling block is indicated by the words, "accepted" and "treatment". To be accepted there has to be a treatment based on sound methods. To develop sound methods, there has to be sound understanding. For sound understanding, mental health professionals have to be experienced with psychedelics themselves. And to be properly experienced with psychedelics, they have to apply sound methods to their use.

I think you might note, there is a dependency loop in the above analysis. The medical and counseling professions lack a proper protocol for understanding, i.e., to use psychedelics themselves. To use psychedelics at all, one has to have at least a rudimentary grasp of psychopharmacology, not of accepted drugs, but of unaccepted ones as well. There's another hitch -- to develop sound methods, there has to be understanding of psychopharmacology and how that relates to physiology (not to mention psychology). Again, the psychopharmacology cannot be properly understood without using the drugs on people (and for healing purposes, the must also be used by prescribing physicians themselves).

The crux of the problem is, scientists are too materialistic in their outlook, and also lawyers and legislators as well. All this points to the fortunate, or unfortunate fact that healing with entheogens, gnoseogens or psychedelics has traditionally been the province of 'witch'-doctors, shamans and priestesses/priests, and for very good reasons. Science, as we know it in mainstream American industry and academia at least, is a godless, soulless, desolate province of human existence. As much as they want to, scientists will never be able to master the full potential of these substances if they don't enlighten themselves first.
edit on 16-5-2017 by Namdru because: scientism is soulless

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
They give speed to kids with ADHD to slow them down. Maybe if the give hallucinogenic drugs to someone who is hallucinating it works the same???

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
my elder son is in a partnership in creating a new 'Hospice' enterprise to this area, a SC beach town where many northerners tend to retire and a great influx of retired military decide to wind-down....

I can only guess as to his experiences as a traveled Dead Head tour-follower/gypsy, back then after HS & before college, sometime in the 1980's

the clinical or even 'sacred' psychedelics...are completely different than Street Crud and should be kept aloof & sequestered from the poison we deem as dope, drugs...

the pharma industry is squandering all their reputation to provide End-of-life options with all their vaccine crud practices they engage in now for profit and deep-state agendas

there has got to be a brighter horizon in our future...I would hope

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Problem is the ADHD is full of beautiful $$$$$.

Cow crap mushrooms are, well easy to harvest and this cuts the pharma cartels out.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Microdosing

Yes! But, e.g., 100mcg a day would generate tolerance quickly and have commensurately greater benefits, IMO.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Psychedelics already are accepted and used by many around the world as mental health "therapy". People who use them as party" drugs" are totally missing the point. Used intelligently, in moderation, psychedelics truly can be a mental health "tune up".

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

From the story micro dosing may not be necessary.

There’ve been ups and downs, but recent times have brought long overdue success. Last summer, Feiding, together with scientists at Imperial College, organised a clinical trial in which a dozen volunteers with previously incurable depression were induced into psychedelic trips using psilocybin, a hallucinogenic compound found in magic mushrooms. Impressively, results showed that 67% of participants were free of depression one week after treatment, and 42% remained so at the three-month mark.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join