It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump said Amazon and Jeff Bezos have a ‘huge antitrust problem.’ Now they may.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

And when you need something in a pinch and there's no more stores to go to, what then?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson
a reply to: Tardacus

And when you need something in a pinch and there's no more stores to go to, what then?

Amazon is just the next iteration of Wal-Mart.

Personally I prefer brick and mortar as I get actual human interaction.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

Do without-this is where the "mom and pop" shops will prosper.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Amazon is well on it's way to having a trillion market cap.

It's put thousands of brick and mortars out of business.

Amazon is the new Microsoft.

They don't create anything.

They don't make anything.

They are just the middle man between evil corporations and the consumer.

I don't have a problem with Trump saying 'mean' things about Bezos.

Amazon doesn't just push product from other companies, they have created things like the Kindle, Echo, AWS (with the cloud).. Granted, I do see what you're saying, but its not entirely true.. Bezos is a brilliant businessman, likely the greatest of our generation.. Netflix puts their company on AWS, then AWS learns how they function and before you know it Amazon Prime exists. Toys R Us puts their company on AWS, they learn what sells and they start Amazon Toys.. Just smart business if you ask me....

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

Being a brilliant business man does not mean there is no monopolistic tendencies.

The govt needs to do it's duty and break Amazon up. The govt is supposed to protect us from this, because it will lead to tyranny.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Yup, and I don't use Walmart either. I'm not rich but would rather pay a little bit higher price to a store in my community than some internationalists greed factory.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Being a brilliant business man does not mean there is no monopolistic tendencies.

The govt needs to do it's duty and break Amazon up. The govt is supposed to protect us from this, because it will lead to tyranny.

What are you breaking up exactly?? They have their hand in practically everything, and its not like they are dominating one specific industry...

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

For how often you throw the terms "CEOphobe, corporatephobe," around - this is INCREDIBLY ironic.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
How is Amazon a monopoly? There are tons of online stores. Almost every major retailer has an online store. And if anyone could be charged with putting little mom and pop businesses under (as if Trump even gives a rat's ass about that) it would be Walmart.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Buy local, support your own people, not a super rich person from California and his rich friends..

I can see having a company like Amazon for supplying some things that we cannot get locally, but so many people are buying a lot of what they buy from them. Amazon is not alone, these big corporations are jeopardizing our countries economic stability.

Bezos has created a mammoth corporation, based on need.

The reason folks use Amazon is because the goods cannot be gotten locally.
Most brick and mortar store carry items that fill the needs of most people.
If you are tall, need items that are specialized, live in an area that doesn't have much competition, you almost have to use Amazon for some thing.

And, unless all monopolies are eliminated, Amazon should be left alone. ...and I don't think Amazon is a true monopoly anyway.
Hell, look at the media and how it is controlled by a few people/corporations.
Monsanto and Bayer comes to mind as well.
edit on Tue May 16 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

originally posted by: rickymouse
Buy local, support your own people, not a super rich person from California and his rich friends..

I can see having a company like Amazon for supplying some things that we cannot get locally, but so many people are buying a lot of what they buy from them. Amazon is not alone, these big corporations are jeopardizing our countries economic stability.

Bezos has created a mammoth corporation, based on need.

The reason folks use Amazon is because the goods cannot be gotten locally.
Most brick and mortar store carry items that fill the needs of most people.
If you are tall, need items that are specialized, live in an area that doesn't have much competition, you almost have to use Amazon for some thing.

And, unless all monopolies are eliminated, Amazon should be left alone. ...and I don't think Amazon is a true monopoly anyway.
Hell, look at the media and how it is controlled by a few people/corporations.
Monsanto and Bayer comes to mind as well.

WE live in the UP of Michigan and I know quite a few miners, the best paying jobs around here, who buy most things on line to save money. They will even buy their matresses and televisions and computers on line and have them delivered. It seems that they are not supporting our local people like they should. The little stores are dying, only the big stores can survive, the big box stores did not create nearly as many jobs as the stores that shut down, and those big box stores pay wages that are less than what the stores that were around for decades were paying. On top of that, I can go buy stuff cheaper at those old stores that are left than at Lowes or Menards, people get these flyers with special deals every week and they go get free or cheap rebate stuff but pay more than they should for other things, things they do not need to buy anyway.

Half the stuff people buy online is not needed, they spend more money on impulse buying. Amazon is trying to get control of the major market, they are offering one day delivery, they are not just trying to supply just what people can't get.

Just like facebook spreading the rumor that you are not normal unless you facebook. These companies want you to believe they are cheaper, I can get my autoparts cheaper at a couple of local private owned autopart stores here than I can on Amazon. I can get a sensor at the local Honda dealer ten percent cheaper than on Amazon. People are led to believe they save money when in fact they are overpaying.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

Isn't it? After years of defending the Kochs, Citizen's United and dark money corrupting US politics — because corporations are people — a complete flip-flop when it comes to exactly 1 company and its founder who happens to be at odds with Trump.

The most interesting "Trump Effect" to me is the one he has on certain conservatives who are willing do a 180 on all their formerly deeply held "conservative" positions in order to keep supporting Trump.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal
I think a bigger concern is Jeff Bezos' Amazon Cloud Services and its contract providing Cloud services to the CIA and other intelligence agencies.
Jeff Bezos/Washington Post/Amazon/IC connections

Leaky connections?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I am not breaking up anything.

I would imagine it would be their core business, but I have no idea. If there is monopolistic tendencies then they need to be broken up. I imagine they are not the only ones.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

Perhaps the justice department may have more info than the public on this?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Im going to offer a counterpoint. Sure, amazon is too monopolistic. However I dont think they are putting brick and mortar mom and pop shops out of business the way you think. I say this as an executive manager of a family business. Amazon has actually allowed our business to compete against mega corps in a way that was not possible before. It allows some small businesses to have a flexibility advantage over mega corps plus a more equivalent market reach than they did under the uber controlled brick and mortar distribution systems (like wal mart e.g.)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

For how often you throw the terms "CEOphobe, corporatephobe," around - this is INCREDIBLY ironic.

Why ?

I have no love for a company with a stock that goes for close to $1000 per share and has NO dividend.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Isn't it? After years of defending the Kochs, Citizen's United and dark money corrupting US politics — because corporations are people — a complete flip-flop when it comes to exactly 1 company and its founder who happens to be at odds with Trump.

Sure is every other day of the week Trump haters HATE corporations EXCEPT when one is at 'odds' with Trump.

Sure is hilarious how that works.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

There are small companies that participate in Amazon Marketplace, reaching customers that normally would not be able to know about these small enterprises.

Not everything Amazon sells is an Amazon product

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

There are small companies that participate in Amazon Marketplace, reaching customers that normally would not be able to know about these small enterprises.

Not everything Amazon sells is an Amazon product

Exactly.

In fact I'd say that the majority of products sold on Amazon are not Amazon products at all.

Amazon is bursting at the seams with mom and pop stores selling their wares online to people all over the country, something they can't get from just foot traffic.

Amazon is a high profile entity that has opened up a whole new world for small businesses to increase their sales output that they wouldn't have otherwise had.

Mom and pop stores and small home businesses are now able to expand their customer patronage by selling both locally AND all over the country via online shopping.

If anything, Amazon has helped small businesses... not hindered them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join