It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump said Amazon and Jeff Bezos have a ‘huge antitrust problem.’ Now they may.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Trump and Bezos are not seeing eye to eye on Amazon and their monopolistic tendencies (according to Trump).

Let’s state the obvious: Donald Trump and Amazon CEO, and Washington Post owner, Jeff Bezos do not see eye to eye. And that becomes a more concerning prospect for Bezos and Amazon now that Trump is president-elect.
"He thinks I'll go after him for antitrust," Trump said at the time. "Because he's got a huge antitrust problem because he's controlling so much, Amazon is controlling so much of what they are doing.

"He's using the Washington Post, which is peanuts, he's using that for political purposes to save Amazon in terms of taxes and in terms of antitrust
www.recode.net...

While Trump was campaigning, Bezos was calling out Trump for his threats about Amazon being a monopoly. But now that Trump is pres, Bezos is not so outspoken. When a spokesman for Amazon was asked if Bezos has a comment, he has none.

In response, Bezos has appeared undaunted in public. Bezos told an audience at Recode’s Code Conference in June that “a presidential candidate should embrace” the media coverage that the country’s democracy allows for rather than fight it. More recently, Bezos called out Trump for his threats of retribution against media organizations he feels have wronged him.

In the wake of Trump’s win, I asked an Amazon spokesman if Bezos planned to comment. I was told he doesn’t.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

So the prez is threatning companies... and its cool.
Im going to assume all his followers were thinking the same thing about amazon, and his threats are valid because bezos was criticising him, and now hes the prez, he should exact revenge...

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Amazon is well on it's way to having a trillion market cap.

It's put thousands of brick and mortars out of business.

Amazon is the new Microsoft.

They don't create anything.

They don't make anything.

They are just the middle man between evil corporations and the consumer.

I don't have a problem with Trump saying 'mean' things about Bezos.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I don't think Amazon is good for our country, it is causing many small brick and mortar businesses to go out of business. Overall, Amazon actually costs more jobs than it creates and it will be going more automated, even causing less jobs for people. We will become totally dependent of these big businesses if we let this kind of thing continue, all the local retailers will be closing because they cannot compete. This will cause our economy to crumble. I see bad precedence with allowing these big corporations to exist.

Americans are getting broker and broker and they are blind, they cannot even see it. I remember how it was fifty years ago, when most people owning their homes in this country actually did not owe much or anything on them and they had money in the bank, where it was insured. What we have in this country now is a big fools economy, one that can flop easily, one much more risky than it was before the great depression.

Buy local, support your own people, not a super rich person from California and his rich friends..

I can see having a company like Amazon for supplying some things that we cannot get locally, but so many people are buying a lot of what they buy from them. Amazon is not alone, these big corporations are jeopardizing our countries economic stability.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Trump and Bezos are not seeing eye to eye on Amazon and their monopolistic tendencies (according to Trump).

Let’s state the obvious: Donald Trump and Amazon CEO, and Washington Post owner, Jeff Bezos do not see eye to eye. And that becomes a more concerning prospect for Bezos and Amazon now that Trump is president-elect.
"He thinks I'll go after him for antitrust," Trump said at the time. "Because he's got a huge antitrust problem because he's controlling so much, Amazon is controlling so much of what they are doing.

"He's using the Washington Post, which is peanuts, he's using that for political purposes to save Amazon in terms of taxes and in terms of antitrust
www.recode.net...

While Trump was campaigning, Bezos was calling out Trump for his threats about Amazon being a monopoly. But now that Trump is pres, Bezos is not so outspoken. When a spokesman for Amazon was asked if Bezos has a comment, he has none.

In response, Bezos has appeared undaunted in public. Bezos told an audience at Recode’s Code Conference in June that “a presidential candidate should embrace” the media coverage that the country’s democracy allows for rather than fight it. More recently, Bezos called out Trump for his threats of retribution against media organizations he feels have wronged him.

In the wake of Trump’s win, I asked an Amazon spokesman if Bezos planned to comment. I was told he doesn’t.

Yeah, that's a joke.

Amazon is a big company, but worthy of Anti-trust action? LOL, k.

Lets examine the facts:

Microsoft was worthy of this action before..why? They were so large and in almost every household that they literally controlled the entire segment of an economy that people did commerce in. Servers OS, Home OS, Everything.

What does Amazon have by comparison? Nothing even remotely close. They are still competing against FedEx, UPS, DHL, Etc in terms of shipping and delivery. They are trying to build their own fleet for this..but you are still talking peanuts in terms of what UPS, FedEx and hell even the USPS.

As far as product goes... Amazon is not doing anything proprietary in their methods. They are a popular name sure, but not the only SOLE source of online commerce. They have a lot of $ invested which is why they can and were losing so much $ for so long, but they are not a swimming in cash behemoth like Apple (Another story for another thread).

I could go on, but it simply comes down to this. Amazon has a high stock evaluation due to expectation and confidence, not from logical commerce factors like their track record. When they become the only source online where you can buy something and have it shipped, call me. Until then, Trump is an A** Hole that is just Jealous someone built something real and didn't just put their name on the side for a nominal fee.

Peace.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

It is "cool".

If there is a monopoly it needs to be broken up.

Keep in mind Standard oil was busted up and Rockefeller made more $$$$.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I don't think Amazon is good for our country, it is causing many small brick and mortar businesses to go out of business. Overall, Amazon actually costs more jobs than it creates and it will be going more automated, even causing less jobs for people. We will become totally dependent of these big businesses if we let this kind of thing continue, all the local retailers will be closing because they cannot compete. This will cause our economy to crumble. I see bad precedence with allowing these big corporations to exist.

Do you really believe this is because of Amazon? Do you think brick and mortar stands a chance against anything the internet can deliver? Overhead costs $ When a bring and mortar store costs as much as a simple domain every month to maintain, that's when the scales may tip or even out. Until then, You cannot blame the internet for this. Blame greedy governments that suck the life dry of business in the form of taxes (Property and otherwise) so they can have fancy government buildings, jobs, and employees..and maybe fix the occasional road..that is to say if they have any $ left that they didn't steal.

Americans are getting broker and broker and they are blind, they cannot even see it. I remember how it was fifty years ago, when most people owning their homes in this country actually did not owe much or anything on them and they had money in the bank, where it was insured. What we have in this country now is a big fools economy, one that can flop easily, one much more risky than it was before the great depression.

Again, this is the product of sanctioned government intervention and real estate speculation with easy access to credit,
it has zero to do with the internet.

Buy local, support your own people, not a super rich person from California and his rich friends..

What?

I can see having a company like Amazon for supplying some things that we cannot get locally, but so many people are buying a lot of what they buy from them. Amazon is not alone, these big corporations are jeopardizing our countries economic stability.

No they are not, they have zero to do with it. It is Government collusion with these entities at the local and federal level that is robbing you and the local municipalities blind, corporations do not enact legislation and the ones affecting it, that is their right to lobby their representatives. It's your reps that are corrupt

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

It's put thousands of brick and mortars out of business.

Amazon is the new Microsoft.

They don't create anything.

They don't make anything.

They are just the middle man between evil corporations and the consumer.

I don't have a problem with Trump saying 'mean' things about Bezos.

You cannot be serious.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I do most of my shopping on the internet, brick and motor store shopping is just an unnecessary archaic ordeal I would rather not put myself through.

why would I want to go to a brick and motor store and deal with lazy incompetent employees, rude customers, limited selection,higher prices,long check out lines,the expense of the gas to get there and back as well as the time involved.

I much prefer to just sit in the comfort of my home and have an almost unlimited selection to choose from on the internet,lower prices and have my purchase shipped directly to my home saving me time and the expense of gas.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

I do most of my shopping on the internet, brick and motor store shopping is just an unnecessary archaic ordeal I would rather not put myself through.

why would I want to go to a brick and motor store and deal with lazy incompetent employees, rude customers, limited selection,higher prices,long check out lines,the expense of the gas to get there and back as well as the time involved.

I much prefer to just sit in the comfort of my home and have an almost unlimited selection to choose from on the internet,lower prices and have my purchase shipped directly to my home saving me time and the expense of gas.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

Serious bout what ?

"AMZN is on the winning side of the biggest TAMs [total addressable markets] & lowest penetration shifts in consumer internet & enterprise (e-commerce, cloud & new areas like video, IoT [internet of things], AI), and has more runway than just about any other company," analyst Ross Sandler wrote in a note to clients Tuesday."AMZN is likely to be one of the first trillion-dollar market cap companies; it's just a question of when, not if, in our view."

www.cnbc.com...

It's already got a market cap of some entire countries GDP.

How big are people gonna let it get ?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

Do you really believe this is because of Amazon? Do you think brick and mortar stands a chance against anything the internet can deliver? Overhead costs $ When a bring and mortar store costs as much as a simple domain every month to maintain, that's when the scales may tip or even out. Until then, You cannot blame the internet for this. Blame greedy governments that suck the life dry of business in the form of taxes (Property and otherwise) so they can have fancy government buildings, jobs, and employees..and maybe fix the occasional road..that is to say if they have any $ left that they didn't steal.

Again, this is the product of sanctioned government intervention and real estate speculation with easy access to credit,
it has zero to do with the internet.

What?

No they are not, they have zero to do with it. It is Government collusion with these entities at the local and federal level that is robbing you and the local municipalities blind, corporations do not enact legislation and the ones affecting it, that is their right to lobby their representatives. It's your reps that are corrupt

We need the government to regulate things, we do not need Amazon. They take away many jobs, just because you like to get cheap things you believe they are good. That is until you find you are not needed at your place of employment anymore because Amazon is not causing your company to go extinct.

Believe what you want. But instead of us being dependent on our government, we are becoming dependent on a large business which does not supply jobs to many people. Look at all the people employed by your government locally, they are a big employer and the jobs are decent wage jobs that moderate your communities economic stability. Same with the colleges and teachers in your areas, their wages stabilize the economy, they are all employed by the government. So are the janitors and bus drivers at the schools. It is not just roads.

What does Amazon give back, they do not even give sales tax to the states to support the people who work for us. Remember that teachers and police are government workers and government grants support a lot of businesses in this country.. More than half of those businesses are small businesses.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Serious bout what ?

"AMZN is on the winning side of the biggest TAMs [total addressable markets] & lowest penetration shifts in consumer internet & enterprise (e-commerce, cloud & new areas like video, IoT [internet of things], AI), and has more runway than just about any other company," analyst Ross Sandler wrote in a note to clients Tuesday."AMZN is likely to be one of the first trillion-dollar market cap companies; it's just a question of when, not if, in our view."

www.cnbc.com...

It's already got a market cap of some entire countries GDP.

How big are people gonna let it get ?

You're friends at CNBC are idiots is the problem. There is not "Market" that Amazon has a hold of. They are an ONLINE STORE for people to buy and sell things at. No different than a flea market. What you are reading is by someone who likely just graduated and got a job as a columnist reporting what his Boss suggest he writes.

Seriously, understand they are NOT anything like Standard Oil was, Microsoft, Or IBM. They are not the power brokers you believe they are. They made high dollar investments in automation and delivery...that's it. You could create your own Amazon today..you CANNOT create your own OS with the hopes of the entire business world using it by next Wednesday like Microsoft did/still does.

Here in Texas..Hispanics (And now everyone just about) visits Bazaars and Flea Type trader markets daily and they are always packed with people. Thousands of people..Do you really believe they are using Amazon prime there at these locations? Or Microsoft powered PC's connected to POS systems as well offered by MS or someone else

Jeff is just easy to beat up on because he looks quirky, other than that his company has been beaten like a red headed step child since it was taking off as it ALWAYS reported losses and was made fun of. Now that they actually are turning a profit, they are a problem? Lmao.

This world..

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Where do you derive your income from? You evidently have no respect for your community, all you see is it saves you money, what if you were to lose your job because people just bought what you produce online?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Where do you derive your income from? You evidently have no respect for your community, all you see is it saves you money, what if you were to lose your job because people just bought what you produce online?

The community does not care about you enough to take care of you/pay your bills. The idea that anything in life is guaranteed or promised to you is a farce. Take care of your own problems that you have the power to do so with and let God sort out the rest.

I have seen what the "community" can do, both good and bad. No thanks on supporting it either way.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

a reply to: odzeandennz

It is "cool".

If there is a monopoly it needs to be broken up.

Keep in mind Standard oil was busted up and Rockefeller made more $$$$.

Why exactly is Amazon a monopoly? What would you say it has a monopoly on? IS it more credible that Trump is doing what he has been doing for some time now and trying to deflect criticism from himself by accusing others?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

You're friends at CNBC are idiots is the problem. There is not "Market" that Amazon has a hold of

Someone TRULY IS.

Market Cap.

MARKET CAP.

Market capitalization is just a fancy name for a straightforward concept: it is the market value of a company's outstanding shares. This figure is found by taking the stock price and multiplying it by the total number of shares outstanding. For example, if Cory's Tequila Corporation (CTC) was trading at $20 per share and had a million shares outstanding, then the market capitalization would be $20 million ($20 x 1 million shares). It's that simple. Read more: Market Capitalization Defined www.investopedia.com... Follow us: Investopedia on Facebook

www.investopedia.com...

And I clearly said that.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX

The community does not care about you enough to take care of you/pay your bills. The idea that anything in life is guaranteed or promised to you is a farce. Take care of your own problems that you have the power to do so with and let God sort out the rest.

I have seen what the "community" can do, both good and bad. No thanks on supporting it either way.

I am still a licensed residential builder, I am retired for medical reasons. I supplied work for quite a few people during my lifetime, buying materials to build houses and remodel houses from local suppliers as much as possible, my spending actually supported workers at those businesses as well as the workers I directly employed.

Did I get rich? NO. I did make a living but did not get rich, when there was not much work I made work for my employees, I had to keep them supported. My youngest daughter now has a business and employs around seven people full time and has just started another project and has another seven people she just hired. She is not getting rich, in fact if she worked just by herself she would probably do better overall. But she also wants to help people make a living and pays a decent wage.

These small businesses are the backbone of our society, they moderate the economy of the area. Your attitude is to support the rich not to support your local community. I do not agree with that. I try to buy as much as I can locally to create jobs for people so they do not have to collect as much or any assistance from the government. That is the right way to do things.

Don't be self centered about this, buy a few less things and support your local economy. I can see if you can't get something, then you must buy it online, I just ordered a couple of things from Amazon I could not buy easily locally. They should be here in the next few days. I also buy my vitamins online, because I cannot get the ones I like here. So I spend a couple of hundred bucks buying online a year and the rest I buy locally, some directly from farmers and people who produce products. I buy locally made as much as possible, as long as the quality is there. I am not going to buy inferior spaghetti sauce or lunchmeats just because they are local made, but luckily we have some good quality places that produce things like that here.

I also would rather vacation here, go camping or just go up north and spend my money in a motel there and eat in the restaurants there. I will never go on a cruise ship or to a big resort, if people want to do that, I will not complain, but I cannot see spending that much money and it goes to make some big corporation profits when we have people here who need work.

I do alright, I do not need a new car, I am happy with the three older ones. I also buy my car insurance from a local agency and also my house insurance, I want to talk to a real person when I call. And not a person from India.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

The jobs do not matter. (if the monopolies were busted-it would take care of it's self)

It is the monopolistic tendencies.

The govt is supposed to protect the people from this kind of thing. It is failed because of the lobby and election cycle starts after the election.
edit on 16-5-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

www.recode.net...

One thing I am happy about is that I was able to unsubscribe to the constant WaPo emails sent because I have an Amazon account....those were annoying.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join