It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banning assault weapons again.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   

'This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future.

Adolph Hitler, 1935

Well it look like he might have been right after all to me.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Jamesblonde, check out this article and tell me if you would like to rescind your last statement. Article

What country do you live in?

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001
Jamesblonde, check out this article and tell me if you would like to rescind your last statement.

Well I live in Austrailia. Basically we are defenseless against anyone with firepower because No-one here has it in any significant form except high stakes ciminals and those armed by the government (Military and para-military).

I feel strongly that many countries are following in the footprints that Hitler left. Perhaps you should keep a close eye on those guns after all.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
WOW,
I can't believe this is still going!
I also find it VERY odd that the most vocal anti-gun posters to this point are citizens of anti-gun countries.

You people still don't get it. The majority of Americans don't want to be governed. We don't want to hope that someone will be there to protect us. We don't want to pay rediculous taxes to support people who are just too lazy to get a job.
We don't trust "rulers". We are supposed to rule ourselves. This tricles down through every level of society here.
Why is it so hard for you to understand that we keep arms in order to keep the American way alive?

P.S. I'm not even discussing this with you, Jakko. You have a very closed mind on this subject.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fry2
I also find it VERY odd that the most vocal anti-gun posters to this point are citizens of anti-gun countries.

Probably because we aren't getting shot at or mugged in the street. I have been reviewin the arguments in this thread now and I have reached the point where the pros and cons of gun control seem to balance each other out.

Living in an anti-gun country I know it is a good Idea because I have seen what one whacko can do to a country.

Hearing the pro gun arguments here makes me wish I had a Desert Eagle under my pillow.

I guess gun control comes down to the individual level.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Hearing the pro gun arguments here makes me wish I had a Desert Eagle under my pillow.

JamesBlonde, your alright in my book. You have a great country and if gun control works to the benifit of your society than I say good for you. Every country has a different culture and what is good for one country may not be good for the other. In my opinion though I wish you had that Mark XIX Desert Eagle .50 A.E. under the pillow. Man I feel like cracking off a few rounds now.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Exactly.
This has to do with macho behavior, and acting like a cowboy, which so many american males love...
Not for nothing America is known as the rambo-culture.

All those americans claiming they have "the right to defend themselves" often have a really hard time remembering when was the last time their gun actually proved usefull.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fry2
P.S. I'm not even discussing this with you, Jakko. You have a very closed mind on this subject.

Hahaha, dude, look at your avatar...
Look at your "mood".
You love guns, no matter how many teenagers kill eachother at american schools...
You're the one with the closed mind.

[edit on 30-3-2005 by Jakko]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko
Exactly.
This has to do with macho behavior, and acting like a cowboy, which so many american males love...
Not for nothing America is known as the rambo-culture.

All those americans claiming they have "the right to defend themselves" often have a really hard time remembering when was the last time their gun actually proved usefull.

If, in the course of one person's life, that gun should only be useful, once, it will have paid for itself, Jakko.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86
If, in the course of one person's life, that gun should only be useful, once, it will have paid for itself, Jakko.

If, in the course of one person's life, that gun should only be abused once, it should not have been aqcuired at all in the first place.
Besides this, is it certain that -in certain dire situations- a gun is the one and only tool that brings solutions?

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Not every gun owner sees them as a means of self defense: some are collectors (like me), some are target shooters, some are hunters. It's not necessarily a macho thing, despite attempts to spin it that way. Personally I am a geek with an interest in history, and I like them as pieces of precision machinery with historical value. I am not interested in them as a means of self-defense, I live in a quiet area where there is little or nothing to defend myself against.

I'll agree that the whole "tough guy" culture is a problem, in fact I think it's the real root of the problems firearms get blamed for. A gun is just a machine, it's use or abuse is dependent on the choices of its owner.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The people who want to get them banned never play fair or need facts. They don't want the facts to get in the way of their agenda.

Baseball bats and crowbars kill more people each year than firearms. No one is banning those. Maybe we should require a background check to purchase a bat or crowbar. More children drown in buckets than are killed by firearms. Still, no legislation on the books for a background check for those buckets. Darn those pesky facts.

People from the other side say that it makes no difference because guns are evil and buckets or bats are not. I think all are just inanimate objects which could be used by good or bad people.

it is already illegal to kill with them or use them in a crime, but legislators somehow think that by making it MORE illegal, it looks like they are actually doing something productive.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Why does anyone other than military personnel need assault weapons? Seriously? What do you use them for? Hunting isn't easy enough, you need an assault weapon to make it that much less a sport and more of a animal killing rampage by men that haven't grown up and still like to kill other living things. Killing other humans is illegal so they like to kill animals instead.....and is it too hard with a rifle or shot gun for you?

Or do you use them just for target practice? Or just to collect them? I've heard it all and haven't heard one decent argument for allowing assault weapons to be legal. The whole idea is ridiculous. All you gun freaks are just afraid that once they take away your BIG guns, then their going to want to take away the rest of them. Give me a break. Keep your normal guns and realize that assault weapons have no place in your home.

I give this thread 5 DAH's and 5 thumbs down

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zabilgy
Why does anyone other than military personnel need assault weapons? Seriously? What do you use them for? Hunting isn't easy enough, you need an assault weapon to make it that much less a sport and more of a animal killing rampage by men that haven't grown up and still like to kill other living things. Killing other humans is illegal so they like to kill animals instead.....and is it too hard with a rifle or shot gun for you?

Hunting is as much about respect and remorse of killing (for the true hunter/JAEGER) as it is anythin else. Sure there are tough guys out there, scaring the 'bucks' away for the rest of us.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I must agree with Zab here.
I still do not understand why having and owning guns is so important to a lot of people, other than that they are part of the rambo culture.

I have heard a lot of very general and broad ideas about not wanting criminals to be the onlyones with weapons, about not wanting the authorities to be the onlyones with weapons. etc.
The truth is that if weapons would become illegal, if less would be made and available in the first place , criminals would have less weapons also.

It's a never ending story like this.
Untill people no longer feel the need to own guns, and gunfactories get closed down because guns are no longer in great demand, untill someone takes the first step, it will never end.
The "legal" guns and the illegal ones.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Zabilgy,I DO NOT KNOW OF ANYONE USING ASSAULT WEAPONS TO HUNT WITH. Please get your facts straight before posting again. You are confusing people that want to learn more on this subject. Why don't you try to debate the subject instead of just posting bashes on people.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Zabilgy,I DO NOT KNOW OF ANYONE USING ASSAULT WEAPONS TO HUNT WITH. Please get your facts straight before posting again. You are confusing people that want to learn more on this subject. Why don't you try to debate the subject instead of just posting bashes on people.

I am debating it. In my post I asked, "What do you people need assault weapons for?"....I would say that means I would like to know why. If I get no answers, then I may have to assume what they are used for.

If you want me to know what purpose they serve the general public, then lay it on me. Because, again, I only believe the military should have assault weapons and see no need for anyone else to have them.

So....why do you, an average citizen, or any average citizen need assault weapons??

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Please get your facts straight before posting again.

Oh, and don't dictate to me. I am looking for facts. I am asking questions so I can get facts. That's what this forum is for isn't it??

[edit on 31-3-2005 by Zabilgy]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
FOR THE LAST *^%* TIME - the term "assault weapon" refers to military rifles capable of fully automatic fire. These are already unobtainable for the average US citizen. You cannot go to a gun show and by yourself a machine gun. This is BS promulgated by a media that makes it's money from alarmist scare tactics.

Semi-automatic rifles are simply those that don't require the shooter to pull the bolt each time the weapon is fired. They are not the same thing as military style assault rifles, they cannot fire fully automatic like a machine gun. My father's old Sears .22 plinker with a tubular magazine was a semi-automatic rifle. That does not make it an "assault rifle". An "assault rifle", by defenition, is capable of fully automatic fire.

As far as the "who needs them" thing, again who needs a car that can exceed the speed limit? Who needs a private plane? Who needs a motorcycle?

All these things can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Still, I don't see a mass movement to try and prevent people from owning them. The burden of proof is on those who want to ban a thing, not those who want to own it.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Hunting isn't easy enough, you need an assault weapon to make it that much less a sport and more of a animal killing rampage by men that haven't grown up and still like to kill other living things. Killing other humans is illegal so they like to kill animals instead.....and is it too hard with a rifle or shot gun for you?

Zabilgy, your words not mine.

Generally if you want an answer from someone you do not insult them first. Try to remember that and you will be treated with respect.

[edit on 31-3-2005 by cryptorsa1001]

[edit on 31-3-2005 by cryptorsa1001]

new topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join