It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banning assault weapons again.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
xpert,

really enjoyed the convo with you at the beginning of this thread. Sorry for just now bringing this quote up. Today’s my catch up reading day and I missed these. J

Originally posted by xpert11
With all do respect America dosnt seem to know what personal responsibility is...

Thank you BUT I completely agree. America as a whole no longer cares to enforce personal responsibility. IMO most of our freedoms should be in direct correlation to the individuals personal responsibility. “Personal Responsibility” I do like that word. Like we discussed earlier I have a quote unquote assault weapon. I feel you know by now that I am extremely careful when shooting it and I am equally as careful in its storage. IF however an incident were to occur involving one of my guns (didn’t know how else to phrase it) “I” would take ‘personal responsibility’ for it. I chose to have firearms in my home therefore I take the responsibility for them. I like fast cars and love to drive fast, if on a sunny day I’m feeling frisky and hit the twisty’s at high speed and kill a family coming in the opposing direction, well I’m an adult, I knew the risks, there for it is MY fault. It’s not the fault of the car manufacture for making that fast car that I chose to hall @ss in. I guess I just wish more people would simply own up to the things they do that’s all.

Who is Mayberry?

Sorry to leave you hanging on this one. Mayberry is the fictitious town from the Andy Griffith show. It’s basically the epitome of the perfect American small town in the 1950’s. Little to no crime, every one knows everyone else etc. It was good chatting with you and I hope you remember that not all Americans are crazy gun nuts. Well at least I’m not crazy right? lol

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Thank you BUT I completely agree. America as a whole no longer cares to enforce personal responsibility. IMO most of our freedoms should be in direct correlation to the individuals personal responsibility. “Personal Responsibility” I do like that word. Like we discussed earlier I have a quote unquote assault weapon. I feel you know by now that I am extremely careful when shooting it and I am equally as careful in its storage. IF however an incident were to occur involving one of my guns (didn’t know how else to phrase it) “I” would take ‘personal responsibility’ for it. I chose to have firearms in my home therefore I take the responsibility for them. I like fast cars and love to drive fast, if on a sunny day I’m feeling frisky and hit the twisty’s at high speed and kill a family coming in the opposing direction, well I’m an adult, I knew the risks, there for it is MY fault. It’s not the fault of the car manufacture for making that fast car that I chose to hall @ss in. I guess I just wish more people would simply own up to the things they do that’s all.

Couldnt have said it better myself
Putting guns aside its nice to see some americans can see sense.

It was good chatting with you and I hope you remember that not all Americans are crazy gun nuts. Well at least I’m not crazy right? lol

Im sure the gun nuts are a minority. however I do have question the tastes of the average american sports fan how can anyone not like Cricket?

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Is this what you call fun?

Got the pic from the following web site on cricket.

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Now this is fun to watch.

Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Adam Gilchrist stood up to Glenn McGrath and pulled off a miraculous 136km/h stumping to dismiss Craig McMillian.

I guess guns have there uses you yanks would have made sure that streaker felt quite inadequate for the rest of his life.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
This assault weapons ban goes for my 12rd handgun clip too right? Limiting the ammo capacity doesnt really stop the ability or will for a crazy guy to kill.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   
And please let us not forget that this countries independence was won by ARMED citizens not some government military or cops! So we should still have the right to protect our families by whatever means necessary and that right shall NEVER be taken away!

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   
America should absolutely ban all guns. America banned a long list of recreational drugs and because of that America is now drug free.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
xpert11, here is a sport that I am sure we both can enjoy watching.

Zerotime, you are from my neck of the woods. Are you enjoying the great winter weather we are having? Hey do you think if they banned all guns that the price would go down and that we could then buy them on the street corner instead of having to go to a gun store?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
ATLANTA (AP) - A judge and a court reporter were shot to death Friday at the Fulton County Courthouse, authorities said. At least two others were wounded, and a search for the suspect was under way.

Guns dont kill people, people kill people :@

I cant wait to hear the convoluted justifications to this one....

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer

I know this is hard for some Americans to grasp but outside of the USA guns dont make up a part of the fabric of society so there is less demand for them.

And as a result there is less gun crime, murders, 5 year olds blowing away their friends accidently and not criminals rampaging around terrorising the defenceless poulation as guns nuts would have us believe.

I think its sad that people are so insecure that they feel the need to own guns to feel complete or safe.

Strange, that's exactly opposite of the news reports we see out of England. They talk about how you are defenseless in your homes and how if you try and fight back to protect yourself, family and property, that it is YOU that will end up in jail - not the criminal that broke into your house.

Saw an article where British police recently described a stabbing death at a home as a "burglary gone wrong". WHAT? So, in the demented minds of British police there's now such a thing as a "burglary gone right"?

BTW, the stabbing death was described in these terms. Since the British can no longer defend themselves, they are naturally retreating behind bars on doors and windows and electronic alarms. To get past these home defenses, criminals are now doing the burglaries when people ARE home to answer the door, since they know people are not allowed to defend themselves. Once the door is open, the homeowner is attacked, and in this case was killed.

There's your gun-free paradise.

Really just more naive, pacifist, appeasement fools.

[edit on 3/11/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black Flag
ATLANTA (AP) - A judge and a court reporter were shot to death Friday at the Fulton County Courthouse, authorities said. At least two others were wounded, and a search for the suspect was under way.

Guns dont kill people, people kill people :@

I cant wait to hear the convoluted justifications to this one....

I knew some anti-gun - what description fits best here? - would post about this sad news event as another reason for banning guns.

Read the story again. The suspect took the gun away form the deputy. It wasn't the suspect's legally or even illegally gotten gun. Exactly how does that have anything to do with gun control issue

The only issue with this is the apparantly poor training the deputy received and/or his lacksadasical attitude around dangerous criminals.

[edit on 3/11/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I posted this here as bait...

I knew one of you - what to call you in this case? - GUN NUT's would take the bait.

Predictable.

(By the way, what was the cause of death of all the innocents?)

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black Flag
(By the way, what was the cause of death of all the innocents?)

Still having a hard time reading, I guess. I was the deputy's gun that caused the deaths of every one. Or are you advocating that even the police be disarmed?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Strange, that's exactly opposite of the news reports we see out of England. They talk about how you are defenseless in your homes and how if you try and fight back to protect yourself, family and property, that it is YOU that will end up in jail - not the criminal that broke into your house.

Funny how only the pro gun "lobby" has heard how defenseless England is !
Its almost sad that they have mistaken there own propaganda for real news storys.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Why are Americans so much more afraid of their neighborhoods and culture than the citizens of other Echelon Member Countries?

And why do they think guns will protect them?

Less guns = greater safety.

The people of the UK/Canada/Australia/New Zealand all know this, why do so many Americans resist the truth?

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
No. Guns are an equalizer. A 98-pound granny can kill a 300 pound ninja with relative ease. Take away guns and criminals will resort to lesser weapons that require a greater amount of skill to use properly -- skill that the decent upright citizens don't have time to bother with developing.

You think the UK is safer without guns? What do you make of stories like this? What if that old guy had a gun?

Criminals don't give a monkey's urinary tract over whether something is legal or not. The Ordinary Decent Folk(tm) are the only ones who can be reliably obedient.

There is something that hoplophobes do not, but must understand:
Guns tilt the balances back to the Ordinary Decent Folk, and are therefore a good thing to let the masses have. Since the vast majority of people are the sort do their best to abide by the laws and cooperate with the authorities, arming these people is a good thing. It makes the lawful side of society more powerful. Criminals may have guns also, but whenever we catch them, we can shoot them and solve that problem. There are more decent people than criminals, the odds are in our favor.

Making it illegal to have guns means one of two things.

1: Only the criminals will have guns.
2: The criminals will have to resort to lesser weapons like blades or clubs. These require some skill to use effectively, skill that people with better things to do than rob people aren't going to develop as much. The criminals will be honing those skills because they are important to their career.

And then of course, the government will be armed too. The government is always looking out for your best interests. They would never ever do anything tyrannical, especially not if anything that could stop the government were taken care of. All you have to do to take care of the voters is rob 40% of the people to bribe the other 60% to keep you in power (lovely democracy) and then use that base to disarm the populace in the name of safety, and now all barriers to tyranny are gone.

Either way, the criminal is likely going to be better armed than you. Either he'll have a gun and you won't, or he'll have a club and be able to use it better than anything you can swing at him. You are not going to be a threat to the criminal. You are going to be dead meat if you try to fight him, unless maybe you've taken the time for some sort of hand-to-hand combat training, training that the bad guy is probably going to have as well. All you can do is hide in the closet with your cordless phone and hope the police get there before the bad guy finds you. Odds are they won't. Criminals can do their business in a minute or two, and the police are going to take at least five minutes to get to you.

Good luck, and continue wondering why the UK is getting overwhelmed by crime.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Good luck, and continue wondering why the UK is getting overwhelmed by crime.

Good one by the way that was said you would almost think there was no crime in the USA.
Dud link by the way.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I see from the news that Gun Nuts have been faced with a bunch of difficult press lately...

Atlanta, Georgia

Brookfield, Wisconsin

Mayerthorpe, Alberta - Canada

Tell me again how guns are a good thing?

Oh yeah, tell the us about the statistic that people are more likely to be killed by their own gun that to actually fire it at someone else?

I am sure that you are right...guns are a great idea, they are just getting bad press right? The problem is that their arent ENOUGH guns...we need more, right? Then all this pointless gun violence will stop...as soon as everyone has a gun we will all be safe. Right?

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Wasn't the shooting in Atlanta done by a homicidal maniac who stole a gun from a cop? Every time the Stalinists get their hands on gun legislation they're almost always writing in double standards exempting police from whatever ban they're trying to push.

The Brookfield shooting was a little different, in that the shooter was using his own gun, but he was eventually shot and while the dead people aren't going to be coming back any time soon, the criminal isn't going to be killing any more people either. And there is how weapons are good.

This man is a self-avowed gun nut(which may in your mind automatically invalidate anything he says or links to), but there's his list of links to news reports of righteous shootings.

More guns don't necessarily decrease violence, but if you take them away from people who use them responsibly, don't be surprised if the ones who don't use weapons responsibly have more helpless victims to prey on.
As far as I know, the statistic that you're more likely to get killed by your own gun is made up.

from xpert11
Good one by the way that was said you would almost think there was no crime in the USA.

Don't you dare try to put such a ridiculous statement in my mouth. Crime in the USA is lower than the UK, and it's getting lower while the UK is getting worse. The most amusing thing is that the highest crime areas in the USA are in cities/states where they do have draconian gun control laws (LA, Chicago, DC)

edit--
By the way, I was trying to link to this story:
UK - Herbert Buckland, 84 year old RAF veteran hangs self after being robbed three times

[edit on 3/13/2005 by BeefotronX]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
In response to the title of this thread, so called "assault weapons" were never banned in the US in the first place so it would be impossible for it to happen again. The 1994 ban that recently expired banned the firearm from looking like an "assault weapon". They still had the same action, same bullet, same fire rate. The firearm could not be sold with more than two cosmetic aspects of an "assault weapon" such as a bayonet, pistol grip, folding stock, detachable magazine, flash suppressor etc. So you could have a bayonet and detachable magazine but no pistol grip for example. Of course any manufactured before the ban (and now after) could still be sold with all the cosmetic goodies but were essentially the same weapon.

The only other main thing was it banned the importation or manufacture of hi-capacity magazines(more than 10 rounds). The possession and sale of existing magazines(millions) was still allowed so other than a little price gouging they were still available.

So all in all it was a toothless ban the Democrats barely passedbefore losing the majority of seats to the Republicans (Al Gore as VP had to cast the deciding vote).

[edit on 13-3-2005 by LNJAXFL]

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join