It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scrambled keyboard help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Last night my wife left her keyboard on the floor and the dog proceeded to tap dance all over it, now all the keys are scrambled up. For example pressing the E key now types ei=, S opens up Chrome and P resets the PC.

Any one have any idea what's happened? I'm guessing a certain key combination has been hit that's caused it and it's an easy enough fix I just don't know how.

It's Windows 10 Pro

Thanks

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: longy9999

LOL may as well buy a new keyboard - usually around $15 and up

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   

I'm guessing one or more of the keys are stuck down...likely one of the CTRL, SHIFT, TAB or ALT keys...

KeyboardTest

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tellurian

I'm guessing one or more of the keys are stuck down...likely one of the CTRL, SHIFT, TAB or ALT keys...

KeyboardTest

Sorry, forgot to mention, she's tried a different keyboard and it's doing the same thing, the issue seems to be caused by Windows

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Possibly fried USB port, oh lord do I remember times farting around with low level keyboard interfaces, drivers didn't really exist then.

USB ports don't generally have much over/under load protection so fido could easily of caused some sort of over voltage and fried that connector, try the keyboard from different ports, if the controller chip has fried it normally will run 4 ports so try different options and see if you just need to slap a USB hub and given the average human typing speed versus USB transfer rate even a USB 1 hub will be fine.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   

that sounds weird, I cannot see how trampling on a keyboard would affect programs. SO obviously you've tried rebooting before plugging in another keyboard?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 04:04 AM
link   

check the Ease of access center / Accesibility of handicap features , Sticky keys, Mouse Keys, Filter keys might be activated...

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 04:14 AM
link   
On my mobile so not sure how to multi-quote replies

Tried the dongle in the rear USB ports but still the same as the fronts

Rebooted multiple times, checked for anything in the bios, no joy there

Looked through the access centre and the keyboard settings but can't find anything untoward, even tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling but it's still the same.

I can't figure out for the life of me what's happening with it. Half tempted to reinstall Windows and see if that solves it

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   

see if it does it in Safe Mode ?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Tellurian

Never thought of that, at work at the minute but will try that tonight and see if it works. If not I think I'll just format and reinstall, it's on a SSD so won't take long to do

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
This happens to me all the time. Stupid cats that I love.....

I have to reset the pc and plug my keyboard into a different USB port to clear whatever the issue is.

Hope that works for you guys!

*edit I see you've tried this*

-Alee
edit on 5/16/2017 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

I've never seen something like this happen and after having a quick look around the net I cant seem to find anything about it.

Good job I love that bloody dog.......

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Mandela Effect. You're just still using the old alphabet. Get with the times !!

But yeah, lol, weird issue. Perhaps it was not the dog, and your USB lines are fried all over. Could be a case of a new motherboard if so. Or an addon usb card. That'd be cheaper, but pointless if the mobo is on it's last legs.

have you opened the case and given the machine a good examine, blowing any dust or what not out of the thing? resetting any cards, rejigging connectors?

Start there, but I can't see the pooch trampling the keyboard causing things like this. Hell I play cod4 still (yea yea I'm a dork) and if bashing keys down all the time caused this I'd be the first to know

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Failing that, replace your dog. Maybe it's faulty..

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Yeah it's clean as a whistle in there, gets cleaned out once a week along with mine.

Not sure what's happened, all I know is that the dog walked across the keyboard, the pc reset and we couldn't log back in without using the on screen keyboard function at the password screen. I could understand if maybe the keys had swapped around a bit but one key is now inputting 3 or 4 characters. I've never seen anything like it.

And yeah, the dogs fault will be my foot up her ass if she keeps jumping on our stuff lol

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: longy9999
a reply to: badw0lf

Yeah it's clean as a whistle in there, gets cleaned out once a week along with mine.

Not sure what's happened, all I know is that the dog walked across the keyboard, the pc reset and we couldn't log back in without using the on screen keyboard function at the password screen. I could understand if maybe the keys had swapped around a bit but one key is now inputting 3 or 4 characters. I've never seen anything like it.

And yeah, the dogs fault will be my foot up her ass if she keeps jumping on our stuff lol

Maybe some kind of ASCII or symbol thing got turned on. I know you tried but try again with the keys on the right side of the board like where num lock and the keypad are. If there is an "FN" key try that too. I can't think of any other reason why one key would generate something other than the keys letter, especially multiple.

Try FN and numlock and FN and capslock.

-Alee

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Still wasn't working so gave up and reinstalled Windows, seems to have fixed the issue. I have literally no clue what the dog managed to press to cause this problem and I can't find anything online even remotely similar.

Going to put this one down to one of life's mysteries

Thanks for the help from you and everybody else who pitched in, its much appreciated

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: longy9999

Still wasn't working so gave up and reinstalled Windows, seems to have fixed the issue. I have literally no clue what the dog managed to press to cause this problem and I can't find anything online even remotely similar.

Going to put this one down to one of life's mysteries

Thanks for the help from you and everybody else who pitched in, its much appreciated

Time to interrogate the dog, he sounds like an activated hacker sleeper cell.

Lol! Glad it was solved though even though that sounds like it was a big headache.

-Alee

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
For future use, use system restore. Much faster than reinstalling Windows. : )

top topics

join