It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: UN Agency Helps NORTH KOREA Obtain Patent For BANNED Nerve Gas Chemical!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   
If any story deserves a "WTF" utterance, it's this one. The last time I checked, I thought the UN was considering stronger sanctions against North Korea, especially after their latest missile launch. It seems that a UN agency, the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), had other plans for NK.

a United Nations agency in Geneva has been helping North Korea prepare an international patent application for production of sodium cyanide -- a chemical used to make the nerve gas Tabun -- which has been on a list of materials banned from shipment to that country by the U.N. Security Council since 2006.

WIPO, like so many other UN agencies, operates in a silo environment. It focuses solely on its own narrow mission, oblivious to the full implications of what it is doing. References to Pyongyang and sodium cyanide in the same patent application should have set off alarm bells. But instead it was business as usual. North Korea was just another UN member state client of WIPO, which needed technical assistance. Never mind what North Korea would do with the chemical it intended to produce, which is a precursor to a sanctioned nerve agent.

www.frontpagemag.com...

I guess Trump's administration deserves brownie points for bashing the UN earlier in the year. Some news outlets thought that Trump's rhetoric was "dangerous." Seems to me, helping North Korea's chemical weapon's program is more dangerous!

The Trump administration has escalated the bombastic anti-U.N. fringe to new levels. As president-elect, Trump tweeted that the U.N. “is just a club for people to get together, talk and have a good time.” New U.N. ambassador Nikki Haley introduced herself to the diplomatic community by vowing to “show our strength” by “taking names” of those “that don’t have our back.”

If the Trump regime follows through on these threats, it will seriously damage American credibility and capacity. The U.N. is crucial for resolving complex transnational problems, ranging from the refugee crisis to nuclear proliferation and global pandemics like Zika. The U.N. enables international peace and security by providing a forum for communication between states. It helps the United States stabilize insecure regions through the legitimating and cost-sharing systems of peacekeeping, conflict resolution and counter-terrorism cooperation.

thehill.com...
Yeah, right....I think the UN has damaged their "credibility and capacity!"
Oh, and guess what...ANOTHER UN agency has helped North Korea in the past. This story keeps getting better and better!

Moreover, WIPO is not the only UN agency found to have helped North Korea illicitly. The United Nations Development Program (UNDP) had previously involved itself in the transfer of hard currency and dual-use technology to North Korea. A 2008 report by the Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations of the U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs concluded that the North Korean government had used its relationship with the United Nations Development Program to execute deceptive financial transactions. The UN agency also reportedly transferred UN funds to a company with ties to an entity involved in North Korean weapons activity.

www.frontpagemag.com...
All I can say is, unfreakinbelievable!!

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Wow I cant believe what I just read.

So the UN is helping Kim Jung Crazy deliver nerve agents atop its Taepodong 2.

Unbalievable.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I'm starting to think that I have slipped into an alternate universe where everything is #ed.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   
A bit late
Prime Minister Abe said here that we must all buy nerve gas suits

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   

I guess Trump's administration deserves brownie points for bashing the UN earlier in the year. Some news outlets thought that Trump's rhetoric was "dangerous." Seems to me, helping North Korea's chemical weapon's program is more dangerous!

Understatement of the day.

It's bad enough that NK has a chemical weapons program, but now that we know it is also backed by the UN, it's a whole other ball game.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny wow, I can't believe what I just read! Is there any way the American people can start a petition for CNN to cover this news? yeah, I know...it's just a dream.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 02:07 AM
link   

lets have a reality check here :

the patent [ if upheld ] would make the process the IP of north korea - thats it

the " for dummies " version is :

a patent on a process means that any third party that uses the patented process would be expected to pay a royalty payment to the north koreans

when i say " expected " - i am well aware that patent fraud is a massive " business "

the north koreans - can still use this process them selves - with or without a patent - so WIPO is NOT " enabling " or " facilitating " any NK nerve gas program

all they are doing is helping NK to patent a process it already has - a step that will mean that law abiding nations and corporsations will have to pay the NK to use thier process

and lastly - i am not an industrial chemist or patent attorney - but the patent SEEMS strange to me - i dont see how the process is sufficiently unique to be patent worthy

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   

The UN sucks?

Who'd have thunk?!

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape
That makes much more sense than the Chicken Little hollering does. Doesn't make it any less icky, but then again, it's totally legal and NK's free to have their patent if they want it.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Wait....what ???....WOW!!!...... I didn't who expect to hear this today . What the hell is wrong with the UN ?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Makes sense. Saudi Arabia is on the UN human rights council. Why not help Kim Jung Crazy with a patent for chemical weapons.

UN makes soooo much sense.

@ignorantape. How does a reality check on what a patent is make it a good thing that the UN is authorizing a patent to NK on nerve gas? Im pretty sure most people here know what a patent is. But perhaps you could enlighten us with another definition from your lofty abode? We are simpletons after all. =p

edit on 16-5-2017 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 02:56 AM
link   

North Korea is applying for a patent, that means that any third party that uses it would be expected to pay a royalty payment to the north koreans...

the north koreans can still use this process them selves - with or without a patent...

dammit ignorant_ape,, quit trying to muddy the waters with logical reasoning and stuff...

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Yeah, because "law abiding" nations need nerve gas....especially one "which has been on a list of materials BANNED from shipment to that country by the U.N. Security Council since 2006."
edit on 5/16/2017 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 03:10 AM
link   
well its a salt, used in the hundreds of thousand of tons by industrys such as gold/silver mining, cleaning and smelting metals, producing ceramics/glass and electronics etc. if its helps produce the salt quicker/cheaper then it will be attracting customers worldwide. the bad uses for example is fishing or third world electronics salvage without using protection.
if looking past the sensationalist nonnews headline and looking at the patent it looks like just ordanary ip protection and documentation to identify on export the hardware.

edit on 16-5-2017 by suicideeddie because: spelling

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   

To be fair,

Sodium Cyanide has many uses other than making Tabun. The word 'cyanide' is what is being focused on...

Cyanide is present in the Human body...Sodium Cyanide is mainly for gold mining in the US, some fertilizers etc.

IMO it is like them getting a patent processed for Castor Oil extraction and mentioning 'Ricin' or a Styrofoam process patent and yelling "Napalm"...

I don't see anywhere N. Korea is not allowed to produce the product.

Would they attempt to use it in chemical weapons? Most likely...just saying

mg

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: suicideeddie

UMMM...you forget to mention how lethal it is to humans AND how it's used to make the nerve gas Tabun. Also, like I previously stated, this chemical was on a list of materials BANNED from shipment to North Korea by the U.N. Security Council itself!

An inorganic and very innocent looking white solid with deadly properties, sodium cyanide (NaCN) can be fatal at amounts as little as 5% of a teaspoon. It is produced from the equally dangerous gas hydrogen cyanide (HCN) in a simple process with sodium hydroxide.

As with the very similar potassium cyanide used in the L-pill, sodium cyanide is extremely toxic to humans. Although there are risks with skin absorption, the biggest risk is ingestion. Inhaling or swallowing sodium cyanide blocks oxygen transport causing serious medical problems and ultimately death.

qz.com...

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: missed_gear

Man, I can't believe the number of posters who can't seem to understand this. This dangerous substance WAS BANNED from shipment to North Korea by the U.N. Security Council since 2006. Now, it would appear one of its agencies never got that message. THAT is the problem here! "Would they attempt to use it in chemical weapons? Most likely".....DUH

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Yes,

Parallel is the fact the North Korea is not allowed the compounds shipped to them to produce aluminum alloys because they can be used in ballistic missiles, gas centrifuges etc; yet they CAN produce there own and do.

My guess here is that the fine line is there was no provisions in the UN ban on shipping NaCN to N. Korea that stipulated against self production.

Which it is shown by the request for the patent...N. Korea is already producing the compound which is really not that difficult to produce in the first place.

mg

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Yes,

Parallel is the fact the North Korea is not allowed the compounds shipped to them to produce aluminum alloys because they can be used in ballistic missiles, gas centrifuges etc; yet they CAN produce there own and do.

My guess here is that the fine line is there was no provisions in the UN ban on shipping NaCN to N. Korea that stipulated against self production.

Which it is shown by the request for the patent...N. Korea is already producing the compound which is really not that difficult to produce in the first place.

mg

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   

thankyou for ignoring what i actually said - now i know for certain that you are just another rabid wingnut

now - sodium cyanide is used for FAR more than " nerve gases " - but hey - facts dont matter to you - do they ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join