It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Isle of Man TT - Greatest Show on Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Ernest Hemingway - "There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering. The rest are merely games."

The Isle of Man TT pretty much proves Mr. Hemingway was correct. What is the Isle of Man TT? It is the oldest running race of any kind (car included) running since 1907. It is a motorcycle race around the Isle of Man (just off coast of Ireland and England). It is also known as being the deadliest race ever with nearly 250 competitors and spectators killed since it's inception. To put that in perspective, about 280 people have died trying to climb Mount Everest.

What makes the race so crazy is that it is held on public streets around the island covering about 37 miles. It is a time trial format. In essence, the riders are reaching speeds up to 200 mph on public roads. There are some spots the riders are going so fast they get airborn. Not to mention Telephone poles. Curbs. Walls. Farm Animals. Mountain cliffs. Spectators literally mere feet from riders buzzing by. There is absolutely no room for error. One miscalculation and you die. It is the definition of sheer insanity. Someone dies literally every year. I am not going to post any death videos, but you can find them on youtube if you are into that kind of thing.

The racers are the absolute pinnacle of motorcycle riders. What makes it even crazier though is that these aren't Moto GP stars, but pretty much everyday guys. Most of the top riders seem to have day jobs. There isn't a lot of money in it. Watching these guys race pretty much makes me question my manhood.

Anyway, seeing this race is on my bucket list. There is no where left you'd see an event like this due to the liability. Fortunately, the Isle of Man keeps up this race.

Figured I just share a few of my favorite videos so you can experience the insanity.

For some reason I couldn't get this video to embed, so here is the link to a well made compilation. 40 million views!

The Greatest Show on Earth! Isle of Man TT

Guy Martin vs Michael Dunlop On Board View

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Crazy speed..

It's not the only good thing to come from the isle of man.
Mindhorn.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   
At the I, there is clearly a line between "I don't give a F##K!" and "I give a F##K."

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
It's not motorcycle related, but It offers an interesting perspective nonetheless:

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
My absolute favorite ride ever. I try to catch it every year, and wish it was open to be ridden more often.
Can you imagine being sponsored by manufacturer to be able to build a one off I.O.M. machine?
That's the stuff of dreams.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

It's not actually a " Race "

It's a " Time Trials " hence TT.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

I believe TT stands for "Tourist Trophy".

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: EnochRoot

Yes, it stands for Tourist Trophy, not Time Trials. A common mistake. The race is a time trial though. The reason it is called tourist trophy is that literally nothing else happens on the island except this race and it brings a lot of tourist to watch.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Anything else to add? Smart arse?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Michet

Holy #, that guy can drive! Nice video, I've never seen a Scooby pushed like that before (outside of wrc).

edit on 16-5-2017 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
These guys are the best in the world IMO, not to mention certifiably insane. Hay bails and runoff areas, phhhhtt who needs em. As a rider and ex racer, I can't help but notice all the pretty light post, concrete walls, pillars and homes that line the track

I've always wanted to go watch the Isle, maybe someday.

Here's a POV lap, absolutely nucking futs.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Oh my hubby would give a limb to be able to attend one of the IoM bike races! He's a bike fanatic and he's always wanted to go.He used to be a biker himself,before marriage and kids+all the expenses that go with that.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

Anything else to add? Smart arse?

Did i say it was a " Time Trial " and not a race ?

Yes i did.

The TT is unique because it's a time trial event

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Come back when you have something intelligent to say.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

You were trying to be smart and undermine the OP. You then said "Hence TT".

You were rude and wrong.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

You were trying to be smart and undermine the OP. You then said "Hence TT".

You were rude and wrong.

You're calling someone rude?

Take a look at your own post before coming out with crass comments like that.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

You were being a prick and you know it. Did I mention that you were also wrong with your smart arse comment?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

You were being a prick and you know it. Did I mention that you were also wrong with your smart arse comment?

Yawn.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

It's not actually a " Race "

Like in every other motor sport, no matter if there are other competitors or not on the course or strip.....you ARE racing the clock.

Hence "RACE"

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
It's unimportant if you're mad about bikes or not because The Isle of Man is so beautiful, and the event so impressive that everyone should go at least once.

I went a couple of years ago and was pretty blown away. The atmosphere's great, the biking's insane, and the island is full of beer and cake.

Plus tons of ancient british and norse heritage.

it's cool AF!

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Sigh..to me and the hubby,posts like yours make us chomp at the bit even more

new topics

top topics

join