It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another suicide on Facebook Live

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Link

Oh hey Facebook, it's you again

A musician has died after setting himself on fire while live streaming his suicide on Facebook. 

Jared McLemore was rushed to hospital in Memphis, Tennessee but died from severe burns soon after.

The 33-year-old doused himself in kerosene before turning a lighter on himself outside a crowded bar where his ex-girlfriend worked.

Everyone just wants to be seen and understood

Frantic screams could be heard during the video and a man is seen trying to help Mr McLemore, the New York Daily News reported.

Reports have suggested McLemore mumbled “goodbye” to his ex-girlfriend, Alyssa Moore, who was a couple of feet away.

It usually goes a lot deeper than what you see on the surface

Mr McLemore had written on Facebook in January: “Please educate yourself on mental health. Please love each other through sickness.”

Ms Moore did not wish to comment, but her sister Sara Moore said Mr McLemore had “terrorised” Alyssa.

"We want to make clear that this happened because of a perfect storm of domestic abuse, the stigma around it, and the visceral reality of mental illness,"

I'm starting to sound like a broken record so I'll keep this short as possible. I said I hope this doesn't become a trend, about 5 Facebook incidents ago. Well..

I've asked this before and I'll ask this again - is knowing that there is an audience enough to push somebody over the edge just enough to go through with it?

It's undeniable to me.

RIP.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Man, I thought liveleak was where it was at.

All of these suicides and murders being live streamed is making me feel like I'm missing out.

Maybe I should finally get a facebook? I think they're missing out on a golden marketing opportunity.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

LiveLeak is so 2015.

What's more efficient and effective than the most popular social media site in the world, live and direct?

Don't worry, you're not missing out on much. I've been 7 years free from Facebook and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
edit on 15-5-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

You've already got one. You just haven't seen it yet.

I deleted my account after a couple of weeks because, well, its rubbish.

My real name is not unique but it is unusual enough for me to be suspicious of the FIVE accounts in that name if I do a gooberl search.

They'll get ya.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

You've already got one. You just haven't seen it yet.

You show me a facebook made under my name and identity and I'll show you the best identity theft lawyer plucked straight from satan's nipple hair.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I agree with you OP, all the millions being made by FB and no one can come up with something to ensure these type of streams are shut down ASAP

edit on 15-5-2017 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Maybe. I'm just a little annoyed (to put it mildly) about it. There's a solicitor in Wales who shares my name and that's the only person I know who actually exists IRL.

And no. I don't often gooberl my name. I was informed I'd been acknowledged in a book I once helped someone with and fancied a quick peep.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
I'm starting to sound like a broken record so I'll keep this short as possible. I said I hope this doesn't become a trend, about 5 Facebook incidents ago. Well..

Because nobody considered suicide before Facebook live was invented......

How about blaming the circumstances in society that lead folk to suicide ?

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

If you've been paying attention to my stance on this issue, you would know that I understand suicide has been happening since the beginning of time.

I'm not blaming Facebook, but I am saying social media plays a very significant role in society and makes mental health issues a lot worse.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

No it doesn't, you're entitled to your opinion but mental health hasn't gotten worse since Social media, if anything the issue of mental health has gotten a lot more attention, attention it deserves since social media and people sharing their issues with like minded individuals.

Facebook is in no way to blame for somebody using it as a platform to broadcast the act of setting themself on fire or hang themselves or whatever way they choose to die, if Facebook didn't exist, depressed people will still attempt to kill themselves having an audience should not make the slightest bit of difference when it comes to depression.

The guy in your OP would have had an audience regardless of Facebook seeing as though he did it in front of a crowded Bar

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree on almost every point in your post.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Well you're welcome to show us your evidence that supports your claim that mental health issues have gotten worse since the dawn of social media, that suicide rates are on the rise and Facebook live is actively promoting for people to use it as platform for their issues spawned from mental ILLNESS

But I get it, it's much easier to blame Facebook for something they have no control over.

It's like blaming knife companies for ISIS fanatics that go around stabbing people
Or blaming vehicle manufacturers when ISIS fanatics run people over
Or blaming guns for people shooting other people

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I understand your point.
SOME people do attempt suicide as a means to get attention.
Whether that's due to mental issues or some other reason I cannot say. Setting yourself on fire seems pretty determined to me but that's because I know someone who tried it and survived.
It is most unpleasant.
This case seems like he was trying to "punish" the ex and the Facebook thing is just a part of today's world, unfortunately.

I'm not sure what Facebook can really do in these circumstances.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Sounds like there's a market for it. Some enterprising coder should create "SuicideTube," and maybe make a few bucks.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I have no more evidence to prove I'm right than you do, but I do have many years of experience working with troubled teens with mental illness. It's not only my job but also a big part of my life. Having had suffered from mental illness myself, I can only speak from experience.

I also know from first hand experience how social media can and does make your mental state deteriorate over time, and if you already suffer from mental illness, you better believe it will not help and only make it worse.

Again you are misunderstanding me if you think I'm blaming Facebook. I'm just trying to connect dots by bringing awareness and discussing it because it's a lot more complicated and complex than it usually seems.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

sounds like the suicide network george carlin used to talk about. funny thing is, he isnt wrong. i have no shame in admitting that i would tune in. it would be pretty interesting to see one of these less conservative countries host a stream where people can pay to broadcast their own deaths. maybe even adapt it as the newest form of capital punishment, a kind of game for criminals sentenced to execution. make a reality show out of it and put the proceeds towards cancer research and upgrading schools and manufacturing medicine or whatever.
edit on 15-5-2017 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I don't know what is worse, suicide or murder being live streamed or the people watching it happen. It reminds me of two films, Videodrome and Untraceable. If there is money in views, could these people be getting groomed, having had their Facebook conversations etc read/stored/sold, which could single them out as easily manipulated, and then gently pushed into it for ratings/profit? Yeah, I know, that is seriously cynical.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Then perhaps you still have the stigma of mental illness being something bad in the US, in the UK social media has helped lessen the stigma and make it more acceptable and actually help people discuss it instead of it going mostly ignored like in pre internet era times.

I have first hand experience as someone who struggles with not killing themself daily, using Facebook for a year didn't make my depression any worse, just as quitting Facebook hasn't made it any better, with or without Facebook my depression is the same, nor would I want an audience when the time comes I decide to die. If anything it's a pretty assholeish way to do it and says more about the person than their illness or anything to do with Facebook

There will always be drama queens who want attention, being depressed and a drama queen is the correlation you're really looking for in these instances, the fault is not with social media, all social media is doing is giving them a platform for their whoring of attention

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CthulhuMythos
I don't know what is worse, suicide or murder being live streamed or the people watching it happen. It reminds me of two films, Videodrome and Untraceable. If there is money in views, could these people be getting groomed, having had their Facebook conversations etc read/stored/sold, which could single them out as easily manipulated, and then gently pushed into it for ratings/profit? Yeah, I know, that is seriously cynical.

if people are willing to pay for danielle bregoli (cash me ousside) to make an ass of herself on national television, then i consider myself well within my rights to pay for a game show where serial rapists and mass murderers off each other to raise money for cancer research and better schools.
edit on 15-5-2017 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Whats a "Face-book?*

Sarcasm intended...Ive been free from it myself. Hallelujah...low sugar, little salt, no cigarettes, no fake-book!

Scourge of society...whats left of it

top topics

<<   2 >>

join