It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long have you been on this planet?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
August 5th will mark forty-six trips around the Sun for me. Don't look it or feel it, but yes I'm really that freaking old...surreal doesn't begin to cover it.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I'm a great grandma. Great grandson will be three in July. Most of you here are still whipper snappers! Lol!

I'm old enough that everything is the good old days!

TV was black & white with only 3 channels.
And it went off the air at midnight! There was nothing else to do but go to bed!

Our phone was a party line & whenever you wanted to make a call, there would be a couple of old biddies on it gossiping!

Nothing but a few gas stations were allowed to be open on Sundays. Even factories were closed.
Sundays were family days!

Girls in PUBLIC school weren't allowed to wear pants, only dresses or skirts! No facial hair on boys either. We got our senior pictures taken during the summer & all of the boys that had sideburns or moustaches, their spot in the yearbook was blank! It said picture unavailable!
We had no rights!

Necessities were cheap, but everything else was expensive. Which is how it should be! Plus things were made with pride & made to last a long time! My parent's first washer lasted 30 years!

You could drive to work all week on $3 worth of gas. A brand new AMC Gremlin sold for $1,999!
They would wash your windshields while you got gas. And if you filled your tank, you got free premiums! Sometimes it would be a drinking glass.

Glass cereal dishes came in round boxes of oatmeal & towels came in boxes of clothes soap!
Today the towels & dishes would cost more than the products they came in!

There was very little plastic yet, most things came in glass. The milkman delivered to our door. Milk was in glass bottles. In school the eighth graders got to set up the tables in the cafeteria for the first graders. Milk bottles had thick, crimped foil lids. We had to take a potato peeler, punch a hole in the lid & insert a straw for them!

Still had garter belts & stockings! In eighth grade the 'in' fashion statement for the girls was white, tie sneakers with nylons. Single leg nylons with elastic tops, were just coming into the stores & were very expensive. Finally talked my parents into letting me have some. Our school bus was so full that there were 3 or 4 kids to a seat plus some standing in the aisle. Coming home the first day, I was standing in the aisle & a first grader squeezed by at her stop & shredded one of my nylons with the buckle on her school bag!!!
Can you imagine school buses with aisles full of kids today?!

The principal at school had a paddle that looked like a narrow, wooden cutting board. And was allowed to use it!

In the summer, we would pack a lunch & go out riding our bikes all day, even along the highway which wasn't busy, & be gone until supper time.
Our parents never had to worry about us.

We would collect glass pop/soda bottles out of the ditches, wash them & turn them into the neighborhood gas station for the deposit. Then we would buy candy with the money. BIG candy bars were 5 cents each! And there was penny candy too.

All the kids in the neighborhood would get together & play baseball in a field. We somehow didn't fight or argue either!

Sometimes, when our parents went for groceries at a local Mom & Pop store, we were allowed to go along. We would sit on the floor reading the comic books while they shopped & if we were good, we would be allowed to buy one! For 10 cents! Other kids did the same thing. The owner never yelled at us or minded!

There were no zip codes or house numbers yet. The mailman knew everyone, how many kids they had, what their names were & how long they had lived there!

There were no store bought Halloween costumes, you had to make your own! And it was much more fun. And half the fun was seeing what everyone came up with! There were some awesome costumes!

Sigh! I miss it all! Kids today sure are missing out!
Sorry for the long post! I got carried away on a big wave of nostalgia!!! πŸ˜ͺ

WOQ

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I'm 52, but people guess me 40-ish. I've got salt and pepper hair, but with so many younger people dyeing their hair grey to look more mature [ I just don't get that ] it throws some that I'm much older than I look.
There are days I feel 104, but I never got past 25 in my heart. I still think I can do all the things I did at 25, then my body says "Whoa boy" "We ain't a pup no more".
It's amazing how "wisdom" is actually just being too tired to get in trouble.
...........well, I guess that depends on your definition of trouble.
5" 6', red hair and an Irish accent is my idea of trouble. Then common sense goes right out the door.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
A stockbroker urged me to buy a stock that would triple its value every year. I told him, β€˜β€œAt my age, I don’t even buy green bananas.”

Claude Pepper

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen
August 5th will mark forty-six trips around the Sun for me. Don't look it or feel it, but yes I'm really that freaking old...surreal doesn't begin to cover it.

A witch???.

We have been looking for a witch.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: jafo1973

A witch???.

I am, yes. Who's "we"?

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

As a witch you qualify as human.

I asked you not to ask questions.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

A witch???.

I happen to be a bona fide bitch... been looking for one of those. too??

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I'm 52, but people guess me 40-ish. I've got salt and pepper hair, but with so many younger people dyeing their hair grey to look more mature [ I just don't get that ] it throws some that I'm much older than I look.
There are days I feel 104, but I never got past 25 in my heart. I still think I can do all the things I did at 25, then my body says "Whoa boy" "We ain't a pup no more".
It's amazing how "wisdom" is actually just being too tired to get in trouble.
...........well, I guess that depends on your definition of trouble.
5" 6', red hair and an Irish accent is my idea of trouble. Then common sense goes right out the door.

I don't get the whole coloring their hair grey thing either...the first time I saw that, I thought the girl had just gotten a botched dye job. Then I realized it was a trend. In my day (πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…had to) that would have been about the last color you'd want to dye your hair. Huge, absolutely. Unload an entire can of Aquanet super firm hold hairspray on it, you bet. Color it grey? Hell to the no.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage

A witch???.

I happen to be a bona fide bitch... been looking for one of those. too??

No worries...I have that covered too, if need be.πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

a reply to: tigertatzen

As a witch you qualify as human.

I asked you not to ask questions.

Pretty sure you didn't ask me any such thing. Also pretty sure you're not qualified to determine how I or anyone else should be qualified. Now run along and play...the grownups are talking.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: AccessDenied

Age is nothing but a number

Agreed, 100%

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Born in 1970, graduated HS in 1988 and college in '92. Somehow I feel like I'm just hitting my prime!

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I was only joking. I meant no offense.

T/C.
edit on 15-5-2017 by jafo1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
As of tomorrow, I'll have been here for 30 years.

Time truly flies.

Happy Birthday! 🎈🎈🎈🎁🎁

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

That is great! I've got two grands so far and they are so much fun.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I was only joking. I meant no offense.

T/C.

No harm done. I was only being my usual smartass self in return.πŸ˜‰

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I'm so old that we would be mortified if any of our underwear showed!

Bra strap fell off your shoulder & peeked out of your sleeve? You could feel your cheeks on fire!

Wind blow your skirt up & everyone got a glimpse of your undies? Wanted to die!

Now anything goes!
Bra straps with spaghetti strap tank tops.

Girl's shorts which have less material than our underwear had. Top of thongs showing or tramp stamps. Not to mention butt dimples, or butt cheeks smiling out from short-shorts!

Boy's jeans that defy gravity, to show whitie tighties or shorts, which sometimes even sag enough to burn your retinas with butt crack!

Can't walk into a Sheetz or Walmart without hearing f-bombs being dropped every other sentence! We were always told that people who swear do it because they have a limited vocabulary!

I don't get the point of any if it! Is it really low self esteem as some say, or just that they don't give a _____? SMH!
I probably pissed off some of the whipper snappers now!

WOQ

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
At least I am younger than my avatar is, I am sixty one and look like sixty one and feel like I'm in my twenties. But I'm not.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
im between 20 & 30

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join