It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake news, disinformation and inaccuracies. Why does mainstream media mislead us?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

I will check those links out. Thanks a billion.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: windword

Yea but none of those count because they're not "big" things, by whatever arbitrary definition of a "big lie" somebody feels like using.

Oh, and unless you can prove that the falsehood spoken by The Donald was intentionally false, it doesn't count as a lie. It's just a rhetorical and demonstrably false statement made in an attempt to get the upper-hand because reasons. Which is totally different, and way better, than lying.

I would call a big lie something like no they aren't going to build a border wall so then Trump would've gone reverse on his campaign promise.

edit on 15-5-2017 by Profundity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profundity

I would call a big lie something

Pretty much the definition of "arbitrary," like I said.

That's not even getting in to the fact that how somebody can presume a person will be truthful about "big things" when they've demonstrated on multiple occasions they're willing to say factually inaccurate things in an effort to win a pissing contest. Call it lying, don't call it lying, it doesn't change the fact that they're continually saying incorrect things. So either they're lying, or so overwhelmingly uninformed they can't help but be wrong.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I would call a big lie something

Pretty much the definition of "arbitrary," like I said.

That's not even getting in to the fact that how somebody can presume a person will be truthful about "big things" when they've demonstrated on multiple occasions they're willing to say factually inaccurate things in an effort to win a pissing contest. Call it lying, don't call it lying, it doesn't change the fact that they're continually saying incorrect things. So either they're lying, or so overwhelmingly uninformed they can't help but be wrong.

"What I told you was true, from a certain point of view"

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: jimmyx

"journalism" as you are portraying it, is different from opinion writers, and speakers.....the talking heads on MSNBC, FOX, CNN, that have their own show are opinion people, not journalists....big difference, not noticed by most people, due to being lumped together as the "MAIN STREAM MEDIA"....

I'm not just speaking about talking heads, opinion writers and speakers, but entire organizations, many of whom threw their hat behind a certain candidate.

"entire organizations"....oh, you mean like "American petroleum institute", "evangelicals", "NRA", "business round table", "chamber of commerce", "heritage foundation", etc.....organizations like that?

Nope. I'm talking about media organizations and so-called journalists, who are tasked with informing the public with unbiased information.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

a reply to: jimmyx

"journalism" as you are portraying it, is different from opinion writers, and speakers.....the talking heads on MSNBC, FOX, CNN, that have their own show are opinion people, not journalists....big difference, not noticed by most people, due to being lumped together as the "MAIN STREAM MEDIA"....

I'm not just speaking about talking heads, opinion writers and speakers, but entire organizations, many of whom threw their hat behind a certain candidate.

"entire organizations"....oh, you mean like "American petroleum institute", "evangelicals", "NRA", "business round table", "chamber of commerce", "heritage foundation", etc.....organizations like that?

Nope. I'm talking about media organizations and so-called journalists, who are tasked with informing the public with unbiased information.

Pfft

Whoever claimed that? Journalist are the watch dogs and the informants to the people, regarding issues that affect the best interests of The People.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
This is a crazy premise, [SIC] Trump in his campaign pushed fake news, much of it pushed to him from foreign intel, so let's not be sorry for him being a mug, if indeed that's what he was since he used plenty of fake himself for his advantage. FFS. More silly...I could easily say that this thread is a Ruski bolster for Trump....why not?

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Fake news, disinformation and inaccuracies. Why does mainstream media mislead us?

I'd seen Donald Trump say time and time again that the crowd of media reporters surrounding him repeatedly report fake news, repeatedly distort facts about his campaign and election, repeatedly misquote him, repeatedly outright lie and his list af accusations about the lies in the media really doesn't end. This issue with fake news items has become frustrating enough that Presient Trump has declared that he will not hold any further public news briefings, instead releasing fact reports to the media on paper only to reduce the shenanigans. Why do you suppose that the media has been unfair and inaccrate with Donald Trump? Isn't it ironic that the media has become worse than the tabloids? Can anyone enlighten us at to why the news media has become very unreliable and faulty?

you need to return to Russia, or at least pick up your pay envelope from them

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
This is a crazy premise, [SIC] Trump in his campaign pushed fake news, much of it pushed to him from foreign intel, so let's not be sorry for him being a mug, if indeed that's what he was since he used plenty of fake himself for his advantage. FFS. More silly...I could easily say that this thread is a Ruski bolster for Trump....why not?

If both sides were throwing fake news around then perhaps this whole issue wasn't really about accurate news reporting but maybe it was about using public media to arm wrestle with codes and psychological nonsense to win a point here and a point there indirectly. I do remember though that Trump had fired three employees of his that were creating fake news articles outside of work, and they weren't creating the articles about anything related to his campaign. He fired them on principal alone. If he did that I would be inclined to believe his side of the argument.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Mainstream Media are mostly LIBERAL. Combine that with how society is calmly accepting the worse aspects of human nature. (i.e. 17 people shot over a 15 hour period in Chicago today...and nobody in Chicago cares.)

The MSM feels no need for morality, integrity or restraint in this environment. They don't like Republican President Trump, and they show it proudly, like Gestapo enforcers wore their arm bands.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Mainstream Media are mostly LIBERAL.

I think that liberalism and news reporting are a natural fit. How often do you see republican news reporters? Maybe in Canada but here in the U.S.A. news reporters are largely a lefty bunch.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join