It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cultural Appropriation in Canada: Tempest in a Potlatch

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

But those are sometimes the first baby steps toward a deeper understanding.

How do you think I feel as a serious aquarium hobbyist in a fish store watching people buy those poor tetras in singles or pairs, knowing that they are schooling fish and like to be in groups of 6 to 10 or more in order to really show you their best behaviors and colors and to feel their most happy? Or to watch someone buy that cute baby pacu or pleco for their new 10g?

But ... through such attempts one or two might actually want to know why certain things happens do the road and take the time to learn and through learning, their knowledge and appreciation will grow and deepen. They might come to care as much about their fish as I do.

Similar things may happen for some of those who so offend you with those first awkward steps.

And sometimes, with some things, it's OK to let go, to see where parts of the culture might go when wedded to other things. What happens when someone weds frybread with Korean shortrib BBQ? Maybe it's delicious, and while that chef might never go deeper into Native American culture, what has been created might be delicious enough to deserve to exist all by itself.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
My my ketsuko I couldn't put it better myself. In other words stop trying to hold on to your own culture solely but mix and integrate and move on.
Great idea till a group comes along that wont mix and will kill you if you don't follow their "culture".
So, so sorry I just had to bring that up.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

There is no such thing as cultural appropriation. Only cultural appreciation.

Or survival by assimilation, perhaps?

That had tragic results. It's been discarded as policy.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Others, whites and pretendians ( a few on here) should realize... youre morons and we really dont care what you think or say. If you knew what really went on and what conversations are had.. youd be mighty surprised. LMFAO!!

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

I hope that guy is a "moron" because the hat he's wearing has a Sooner (land claim jumper from the Oklahoma land rush) as its mascot.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I hope that guy is a "moron" because the hat he's wearing has a Sooner (land claim jumper from the Oklahoma land rush) as its mascot.

LOL You have to watch it.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

This issue must be of importance to you...all that typing, and name calling!

Calling a racist a racist doesn't seem excessive to me. "All that typing . . . ?" Welcome to the age of Twitter. You sound like Donald Trump.

You are actually in a position to validate your opinions on cultural appropriation!

Just laying them out actually. Apparently, according to you they are invalid.

Next nice day, hop in your car and head on up to Curve Lake First Nation, not far from Peterborough. It's about 2 1/2 hours from the T-dot. Follow the signs, and you'll find Whetung Ojibwa Centre. Go in, and ask for Mike Whetung, he's a nice guy, and he's generally around. Sit down with him in front of the fireplace and lay everything out just the way you have here. Listen to what he has to say. And report back.

Yes sir!

Or you could pass...but that would constitute willful ignorance.

Ask him to become a member of ATS.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage

Not stressing my computer overmuch today. It's very hot, and we haven't turned on our air. House is just south of 90. I'd really like to be gaming.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Not stressing my computer overmuch today. It's very hot, and we haven't turned on our air. House is just south of 90. I'd really like to be gaming.

Dammit! Okay well I insist you watch it later

I have extremely strong opinions on this subject, but I keep myself from getting banned with humorous stuff.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Ironically amusing, isn't it?

I've seen the same thing living as I do within easy drives of two large reservations, Umatilla and Yakima...I'm well acquainted with many Native Americans, and have seen this phenomena up close.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I like to wear my Koteka but my wife won't let me out of the house with it.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

. What happens when someone weds frybread with Korean shortrib BBQ? 

I hope you realize what you have done.

Now I gave to make frybread and Korean shortribs at the same time.
I have never made Korean shortribs before.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Ironically amusing, isn't it?

I've seen the same thing living as I do within easy drives of two large reservations, Umatilla and Yakima...I'm well acquainted with many Native Americans, and have seen this phenomena up close.

I dont care about reparations or mascots.. Im by far more concerned with the BS corrupt BIA, broken treaties, medical murder, and our civilization artifacts that were stolen and lied about. Goes WAAAAy beyond appropriation.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit

Next nice day, hop in your car and head on up to Curve Lake First Nation, not far from Peterborough. It's about 2 1/2 hours from the T-dot. Follow the signs, and you'll find Whetung Ojibwa Centre. Go in, and ask for Mike Whetung, he's a nice guy, and he's generally around. Sit down with him in front of the fireplace and lay everything out just the way you have here. Listen to what he has to say. And report back.

Yes sir!

Or you could pass...but that would constitute willful ignorance.

Ask him to become a member of ATS.

Uh-huh...I figured as much. Wouldn't want to challenge those preconceived notions by actually talking to somebody who is immersed in the subject...but as they say, ignorance is bliss.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

You're being too lazy. Get your friend to join ATS. Then we can dialogue.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I just wanted to say that youre NOT a racist. Ive seen many things youve spoken about on here for a long time. On my parents rez.. half is in the US and half is in Canada... Blackfeet/Siksika. The problems are long standing and real.
Most whites want to speak for us and most Blacks appropriate more than anyone, if we're talking truth here. People want to speak for us, but I WISH TO GOD people would ask how we feel before that. Ask why we hated Jackson and Lincoln... and love Jefferson to death. Ask us how the whites were ACTUALLY treated when they came here. Ask us why we feel so desperate to hold on to any little shred of our culture and our blood quantum beliefs.

I disagree with many things you sometimes say, and Im sure its mutual... but I have never seen you be a flippant or bad advocate for NDNs and FN.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Would you say he was bossy?

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

I just wanted to say that youre NOT a racist. Ive seen many things youve spoken about on here for a long time. On my parents rez.. half is in the US and half is in Canada... Blackfeet/Siksika. The problems are long standing and real.
Most whites want to speak for us and most Blacks appropriate more than anyone, if we're talking truth here. People want to speak for us, but I WISH TO GOD people would ask how we feel before that. Ask why we hated Jackson and Lincoln... and love Jefferson to death. Ask us how the whites were ACTUALLY treated when they came here. Ask us why we feel so desperate to hold on to any little shred of our culture and our blood quantum beliefs.

I disagree with many things you sometimes say, and Im sure its mutual... but I have never seen you be a flippant or bad advocate for NDNs and FN.

Thanks for that. You'll note that I laughed off the accusation of being 'racist'. As an archaeologist, historian AND a good neighbour I had better have a clue. I've been called an ally by the Anishnaabe, and I value that.
So, I'm not going to school characters like our ipsedixit. I don't need to speak for the FN. What I will do is point out where he can go and learn for himself. Face-to-face, and accountable for his words. That takes guts, but it is the measure of an individual, isn't it?

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit

Would you say he was bossy?

Nope. Snarky maybe, but bossy?? NEVER.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I think it would be a good thing if your friend were a member and was here to articulate his opinion on the OP. That's what the thread is about, in theory at least. Two magazine editors have resigned over this situation.

Johnathan Kay (the second resignation) and Jesse Wente (culture critic, aboriginal person) discuss the issue in this video:

www.youtube.com...

edit on 15-5-2017 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join