It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An unusual Old age and funny benchmark of Reality

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
So a funny thing happened to me this morning though I didn't realize it until just now and thought I'd share.

When I finished work this morning I decided that since it was Mothers Day, I would treat myself to whatever I wanted at Dunkin Donuts. I know thats no big deal, but I used to live in Rhode Island and I'm sure those folks would get what I mean. Since I've moved back to Florida it just hasn't been the same. No one else was going to spoil me today so I'll do it my way.
Long story short because I'm pretty sure you could care less what I got, I thought the price seemed a little high, but no big deal. I'm not one of those exacting kind of people. Tell me the price and I pay it. Not a haggler at all. I kept the receipt and didn't give it anymore thought until tonight when I took the receipt out of my pocket.

I should mention that while I was still at the window and she was ringing me up, I noticed she seemed to have made a correction. It was only like a dollar and small change. I just figured she was fixing what I thought was a little high and she had caught it.

lol nope that wasn't the case at all! Come to now find out after looking at the receipt she had actually made the correction by adding a "Senior Discount" of ten percent!

Needless to say it caught me a little off guard. I certainly didn't ask for it and obviously it is my first one to ever receive. It is something that has never been on my radar to consider asking for. I'm 58. I figure I must have either looked really tired this morning, or very grumpy, or just plain ol old.

Now don't get me wrong, I have found this too be rather funny, yet on the other hand it seems to have struck another chord though I wouldn't know what to name it really. I just know it is funny to me yet a bit unsettling. Does that make sense?

I think I will buy a tiny frame for my receipt. After all, it is a bit of a benchmark milestone I have managed to reach that sadly some of my other friends didn't. Obviously I now know I am playin the back nine...perhaps I will brush up on my shuffle board so that I'm also prepared for that next step...
edit on 5/14/17 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I am having an epiphany as I type.

This has been an eye opening Mother's Day for me.
Thank goodness I had a bottle of wine in the house. lol

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

Shoot. Keep that receipt with you at all times and try to get discounts everywhere you shop. That receipt is proof that you qualify.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

If you are just now having the epiphany, are you sure you didn't have two bottles of wine?!!!

I hope it was or is a good epiphany at least... would love to hear what it is or was, but don't want to intrude on your moment!

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Idreamofme

Funny I was just sitting here thinking that! Feel like I have a new old lady weapon in my old lady arsenal! I guess the trick will now be remembering that I have it in my wallet to use!
Oh dear

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   

You can get discounts on your quilting supplies and a discount on a new rocking chair to sit on while you knit sweaters that you make during commercial breaks from "i love lucy" for your family.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Idreamofme

While I do like "I Love Lucy," since I grew up with the show before it was even reruns, I don't think knitting will ever be my thing. Besides I'm pretty sure my cats would have more of the yarn spread across the house then I would get knitted into something.

The rocking chair sounds good though for 4:19 + 1...

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   

That was a funny story.

I'm not quite to the age of getting the senior discount but I don't get carded when I buy alcohol anymore. There were times when it seemed like a big inconvenience to show a cashier my ID. Now sometimes I wish they would ask.

Oh well I guess the grass always seems greener.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: jafo1973

Lol, I didn't think I was at "That Age" either so imagine my surprise to realize quite unexpectedly that apparently I am! I guess new 5-10% off adventures await me!

Funny thing now though, I guess I'll be opening the wallet again to prove I'm old enough. Strange irony that eh? Lol

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: onehuman
An unusual Old age and funny benchmark of Reality

To do something well takes practice!
(I was practicing for retirement since I was 28! 'Worked' on my time off!)
As far as a senior discount, I have been getting them, on and off, since I was 45, or so.
Not because I looked particularly old, but I'm a bit large and intimidating (at least back then).
I get them 'honestly' now.

One earns a certain amount of ... 'deference' by the time we've put a few years under the chassis...

And they call me 'mister nameless'! *__-

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Cues twilight zone music...Dunkin Donuts gave me my first/only senior's discount. WTH it's a conspiracy.

I never go to Dunkin Donuts. After I quit smoking, I wanted to reward myself with a Dunkin Donuts brownie I'd seen ads for.

I was told they weren't being offered in our neck of the woods. I was visibly disappointed, settled on a jelly donut and left.

On the way to the car I glanced at the receipt and noticed the senior's discount, same age as you. WTH I showed it to my hubby, told him they didn't have brownies and the kid rang me up as a senior

He told me not to fret, it's not a "senior's" discount, it's a "special" discount for not having the advertised brownies. He's good. Do you think the lighting is especially bad in there or something?

What a coincidence, we both got "benchmarked" by dunkin donuts. Dirty bastards. I hope, at least, you got what you went in for. I just came out old and brownie-less.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory

I know where ill be frequenting when im 58.

Dunkin Discount Donuts

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Hey, a discount is a discount however you can get it LOL.
I may have told you the one about the young man who offered to carry my groceries for me 'maam'.
He was just being polite of course but, I thought...'do I look old and feeble?'.
Also, I have a friend who is a cashier at my local favorite grocery store who has given me the 'senior' discount on Wednesdays (that's senior day which I try to avoid), he says because we're friends only. Suuuurrrrre it is!

edit on 15-5-2017 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

One earns a certain amount of ... 'deference' by the time we've put a few years under the chassis...

Lol, I suppose my chassis has gotten a little heavy in the trunk, but dang I was in the drive through!

MorningGlory: (Love the name and the flower) I cracked up when I read you left old and brownieless! That was tooo funny.
Actually your husband may have a good special point. I wanted a ice coffee flavor that they had been pushing ironically (you won't believe this,) called Fudge Brownie! TN can back me up on that because I posted a couple weeks ago on stupid book that I had liked it! So maybe there is some truth to the discount because they didn't have what we wanted. Yes, I think I will go with that. Much better then my deferred heavy dragging trunk.
sidenote: why does this little blue saint smiley look more like a 👙 bikini?

TN my friend...I still try to help the elderly myself, something has gone horribly off track here. Of course the kid and your friend at the store are Being Nice. You live in the south remember? Lol up north they'd never even see you if you were trying to push a piano out the door!
Yes a discount is a discount, but I was really fine with the occasional happy hour discounts. Donuts is really taking it to a new level for me... Maybe Dunkin Donuts is where we get our training wheels, prepare us for aarp and such!

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Actually your husband may have a good special point. I wanted a ice coffee flavor that they had been pushing ironically (you won't believe this,) called Fudge Brownie!
This thing just keeps getting deeper, clearly there's a brownie connection. I'm telling you it's a conspiracy.

Maybe Dunkin Donuts is where we get our training wheels, prepare us for aarp and such!
I agree there's more here than meets the eye. I'll admit the receipt triggered me a bit, makes me think mind control. The receipt turns us into mindless brownie eating manchurian candidates. The dining room was full of old people reading newspapers.

Maybe it's like that scene from Beetlejuice and it's deaths waiting room. At least we'll have good snacks.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory

You are really making me laugh!
The Brownie Conection a conspiracy movie coming soon to a Theater near you . Want to see it now? Well you can. That's right, Call right now and subscribe to the Golden Pond channel and get up to 10% off your first movie. Also, if you can get to your phone in under 58 minutes, we will also send you a free box of donuts with 10% off the regular price. You must have proof of benchmark reached at 58 in order to apply.

Lol if we are sitting in That room I highly doubt we will get the snacks we wanted as it doesn't seem to work that way

Obviously they just happened to you pretty recently as well if we both have out eye s on 58, unless of course you have already surpassed that.

I think we are going to get along famously Morning G! If we remember any of this anyway...

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: jafo1973

That was a funny story.

I'm not quite to the age of getting the senior discount but I don't get carded when I buy alcohol anymore. There were times when it seemed like a big inconvenience to show a cashier my ID. Now sometimes I wish they would ask.

Oh well I guess the grass always seems greener.

I always thank those wonderful people who see my salt and pepper beard and deep laugh lines ( wrinkle is an ugly ageist word)and go on to compliment me by suggesting I am in my early twenties when they card me.

Yes. Yes. I know deep down it is store policy and they could be reprimanded or fired for not asking.. but I still thank them and pretend it is genuine.

Respectfully,
~meathead

Edit to add;

I will never see that saint emoticon the same way again lol..seriously awesome observation!

edit on 15-5-2017 by Mike Stivic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

edit on 16-5-2017 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

top topics

join