It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

By 2030 you may not need or want one

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I can see this happening for daily commuters into large cities and in many ways it would be a time saving blessing.. I do wonder if the author's time frame is a bit short, however, barring some catastrophic event I have little doubt it is coming.

Use you imagination and think about how this might effect you..

Death spiral for cars. By 2030, you probably won’t own one
By Giles Parkinson on 9 May 2017
Print Friendly

By 2030, you probably won’t own a car, but you may get a free trip with your morning coffee. Transport-As-A-Service will use only electric vehicles and will upend two trillion-dollar industries. It’s the death spiral for cars.

A major new report predicts that by 2030, the overwhelming majority of consumers will no longer own a car – instead they will use on-demand electric autonomous vehicles.

By 2030, within 10 years of regulatory approval of autonomous electric vehicles (A-EVs), the report says, 95 per cent of all US passenger miles traveled will be served by on-demand, autonomous, electric vehicles that will be owned by fleets rather than individuals.

The provision of this service may come virtually free as part of another offering, or a corporate sponsorship. Imagine, for instance, paying a token sum for a ride into town after buying a latte for $4.50. Or getting a free ride because the local government has decided to make transport easier.

reneweconomy.com.au...

Once again the article and the thinking does not really consider many parts (fly over country) of a country where vehicles are used for more than just transportation..

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky
I think the automotive industry will kill this. Just like J P Morgan killed Tesla's free energy.
It won"t be allowed to happen.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
That would be a difficult decision. I love my car, even though it is a POS. I have put a lot of love and labor into repairing it over the years. But not having to pay insurance costs or worrying about my next car purchase would be nice. I can't imagine that service would ever be free though. I bet by the time they got through with it, the costs would be the same to the end user as a purchase.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
The moment I lose control over what I can click on next I will stop using the internet. If the Republicans have their way with net neutrality I will look for a new internet.

+13 more 
posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
The moment I lose control over what I can click on next I will stop using the internet. If the Republicans have their way with net neutrality I will look for a new internet.

ARRRRGGGGG. Why? Why do you do that? ALL OF THE TIME?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Point 1, I probably won't be alive in 2030 any way. So any opinion I have is moot at best.

Point 2, this makes me feel uneasy. Not sure why yet, but something in the back of my head is saying that this isn't such a good idea.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Electric cars are going to have to increase drastically in range for this to ever be practical.

We drive everywhere, and I do mean everywhere. Between husband and self, we spend no less than 4 hours in a car every day, and that's not counting small trips and driving to visit family or go on vacation.

If his corporate decided to offer a fleet as a perk ... maybe, but it would have to have a better range then ECs currently do.

And right now, visiting the family is one-tank trip round trip. Current ECs would make it a two-day, one-way trip because we'd have to recharge at least once on the way out.
edit on 14-5-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Their shouldn't be cars in cities, nor many people for that matter.

Skyscrapers should be full of real robots manufacturing real things... not human robots shuffling money around.

The way we choose to live is stupid and backwards.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
They've been spouting this [garbage] since the 50s...

I'm sure all my relatives in the vast plains of west Texas will be lining up at the jetsons dealership to work their ranches and farms...

-Chris

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I want one of those George Jetson flying car thingies:

edit on R332017-05-14T18:33:13-05:00k335Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Electric cars are going to have to increase drastically in range for this to ever be practical.

We drive everywhere, and I do mean everywhere. Between husband and self, we spend no less than 4 hours in a car every day, and that's not counting small trips and driving to visit family or go on vacation.

If his corporate decided to offer a fleet as a perk ... maybe, but it would have to have a better range then ECs currently do.

And right now, visiting the family is one-tank trip round trip. Current ECs would make it a two-day, one-way trip because we'd have to recharge at least once on the way out.

Valid point but this service is geared towards commuters who travel less than 30 miles into a city from their suburban homes.

Wonder who gets sued when you have to be at work at 08:00 and your ride never shows ?

Also there are other articles about how AI is going to replace most of the jobs in the near future so maybe they can use their electric vehicles to deliver food to all the homeless.. I would not bet on that ... The future as planned or is supposedly going to happen makes one wonder how people will survive// Quite a few are having problems already.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

lol...you'll never see the end of MOTORBIKING though.

Two wheeled commuting isn't just practical, but great fun.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

If you want your car you can keep your car?

Hell, no one is taking my car...screw 'em.
edit on 2017/5/14 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Violater1
I think the automotive industry will kill this. Just like J P Morgan killed Tesla's free energy.
It won"t be allowed to happen.

You would think so, but in this day and age when we have entrepreneurs like Elon Musk developing this very technology, and understanding full well that the oil industry would try its hardest to demolish the very idea. And frankly, he's succeeding.

Thanks to Tesla Motors we have all major automotive players developing all electric vehicles that aren't just another ugly, useless contraption, but an actual functional vehicle capable of more than just transportation, but capable of work.

It is not difficult to see us moving into a fully autonomous automotive industry, and you can bet that the big players won't miss the opportunity to invest heavily into it to be the biggest
edit on 14/5/17 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
This is just a liberal wet dream dreamed up by city dwellers who never leave the urban landscape and want everyone to take public transportation, live in cubicle apartments, and wear transponders so the government knows where we are all at any given time. No doubt there will be a huge move to electric or the non-fossil fuel cars. That's a no-brainer. But people are not going to give up the personal freedom of a personal means of transport under their control until you pry them from their cold dead fingers.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The automobile as we know it is dead..... The insurance companies made sure of it...... and by doing so they signed their own death warrant.
The kept jacking up the price for kids to be on their folks insurance.. That resulted in fewer and fewer parents buying their kids a car when they turned 16...
So when that started to happen the insurance companies were able to change it to..... as long as your kids are of driving age....... they got to jack up your rates.... Now the self driving cars are coming and people are going to be able to tell the insurance companies to go screw themselves....

Capitalism, which seeks a profit by having more customers than the competition. morphed into Corporatism.. which demands an ever increasing profit by any means necessary...... and in the long run will implode upon itself

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Oh according to so many on this site and according to book series like The Expanse ... we'll support them like cattle. They'll get a universal basic income for all their lives, and if they want more, they'll take a menial job for a period of time and hold it down to prove they are worth the effort of educating and getting a real job with real responsibility.

Personally, if it happens like that. I think there will be a brutal global depopulation except for some feral colonies who manage to survive on subsistance and in hiding, and the global elite who are at the top and the ones they "keep" to do the menial chores they need to have done. Those last will be carefully managed slave labor stocks.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

If it does happen, they will charge so much people will be forced to live in poverty. Once the corporations have a monopoly or cartel on transportation, the rate hikes will start kicking in!!! Yeahaa!! FREEDOM!!!

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Point 1, I probably won't be alive in 2030 any way.

Or more importantly, the way politics have destroyed this country why would you want to be alive?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
This is just a liberal wet dream dreamed up by city dwellers who never leave the urban landscape and want everyone to take public transportation, live in cubicle apartments, and wear transponders so the government knows where we are all at any given time. No doubt there will be a huge move to electric or the non-fossil fuel cars. That's a no-brainer. But people are not going to give up the personal freedom of a personal means of transport under their control until you pry them from their cold dead fingers.

No... it isn't. It has nothing to do with politicians at all.

It doesn't take a genius to see the benefits of a fully automated system.

We currently have vehicles that can travel at 200 miles per hour, and we it takes us longer to reach our destination than if we would have taken a horse carriage due to a poorly designed road system that's literally driven by poor functioning, mistake driven human beings that cause bottlenecks that effect thousands of people every day.

With an automated system we can actually use high speed vehicles at high speeds, and not just on highways.

There's a speed limit because human interaction sucks, and the proof is in the 100's of thousands of deaths every year due to vehicular collisions.

With automation we don't need traffic lights, we don't need slow speeds, you don't get bottlenecks because everything flows due to a constant monitoring of the entire system.

We collectively waste billions of hours every year just sitting in traffic. But with a fluid, ever monitoring, ever changing system, you cut out all this wasted time and in turn we can put that energy into work and leisure.

Don't get me wrong, I love driving, but I rather have my hour long commute reduced to a fraction of that time every day, with a hell of a lot less deaths thanks to the human condition driving a giant rolling death machine that most can't handle or respect

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join