It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the media bereft of original idea's?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I'm a fan of a new show that recently came out called LOST. While lying awake at 3 am this morning it dawned on me that its a remake of Gilligans Island. An edgier version for sure but the plot is pretty much the same. Locke or Sied are the professor, Jack is the skipper, The eye candy he's always around is a dead ringer for Mary Ann, The blond chick is all sexuality like Ginger and then you have the British guy thats a Gilligan for sure.

The other people are somewhere in the background but you never see them unless they are needed for whatever silly plot is going on at the time.

Desperate houswives is a rip off of Peyton Place.

It's as if everything being done is a rehash of something already done.

My question is, Is this deliberate, now that they know what turns brains to mush they use it relentlessly. Or is it just a lack of creativity on mankinds part?

This question has been bothering me all day. Any input would be a help. Thanks.

Love and light,

Wupy

edited to correct spelling

[edit on 3-2-2005 by mrwupy]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
im inclined to agree. although is it a lack of creativity, a sense of if it ain't broken don't fix it, or an unwillingness to try something new?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Some "new" movies this past year:
Stepford Wives
Manchurian Candidate
That's off the top of my head. Wait, you say, those are not new

*ends sarcasm*
There is nothing much new under the sun.
And what new ideas comeout leave a lot to be desired. An example is the movie "When will I be loved" a movie with little character development, weak dialogue and no pizzazz
www.ifcfilms.com...

Movies, however, fare better at creativity than television and radio. I haven't watched prime time television or cable in years. Mostly "Law and Order" reruns and DVDs.
I can think of one creative star on FOX. 24 with Keifer Sutherland is a good show, with a fresh idea--24 hours. I've only seen it on DVD, though. I couldn't stand the commercials.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
mrwupy I believe you are correct in that the media or Hollywood would rather rehash the old ideas that worked again and again more readily than a new idea. Of course the reason they do this I believe is all about money. If ratings fall off significantly then they declare that theme dead on arrival after a long life. I don't necessarily think having multiple sequels is all that bad since I've gotten to enjoy the Stargate tv series for 8 years now I believe. There's even a spin off of the same idea. Star Trek and Star Wars movies and similiar shows have been going and going and still going. There's not much new there except different stories and better special effects. An artist may argue that it's all new but the settings for the story and the world of the movie remains the same as far as I'm concerned. The masses still enjoy Star Wars so more movies keep getting made. The dollar has spoken.

I believe a number of new creative ideas probably flop before everyone has a chance to see them. Therefore we may never see a lot of the creative movies or shows out there.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The American media does not believe in originality. I knew someone, who had worked in TV biz, and he said they always take everything from some other country, because to do otherwise would be too risky. They also copy each other. When one station had a successful reality TV show, all the others copied.

I think they also wouldn't know how people would respond if they anything too innovative. I suppose it is easier for idiots to rehash the same ideas over and over, instead of coming up with something new.

new topics

top topics

join