It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother's Day is an Important holiday, Are these origins accurate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I love and respect my mother, and have always felt mother's day was a hallmark holiday, however that never stopped me from celebrating it as it does bring my mother joy. I just watched this video, and really made me realize how commercialized it really is. I kind of enjoyed his idea of instead of trying to use money to make our moms feel loved, instead spend time, and show it in non monetary ways. Anna Jarvis deserves her vision of mothers day to be upheld. What are your thoughts? Is his history just a lie in order to be cheap?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 05:42 AM
link   
uuuuuggghhhh. mother day
i dig it for my wife. she was working last night till ten and she just so happened to get a delivery of some kick flowers....
score

but i have to call my mother and she is going to try to hook me into coming over to see her....really dont want that.
today is water balloon fight day. ive got 300 balloons filled and ready to go....
dont want to go to mommy's house.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Mothers day Fathers day Valentines Day...all marketing ploys based on making folk feel guilty. It should be all those days EVERY day for those you love

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Happy Mothers Day

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
No holidays should be/have to be about money or spending it.
It is nice to get things though, isn't it? If someone see something they think you'd like and wouldn't buy it for yourself for whatever the reasons.
The water balloon fight sounds like fun and I approve spending money, today, for that.
Hinting at my kiddos!

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Is this an American "Mothers Day.

In the UK, the term "Mothers Day" is used interchangeably with the correct term "Mothering Sunday", which is the fourth Sunday of Lent. It has its origins in Christian traditions.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
None of my kids or the hubs have mentioned Mother's Day ... lol! We are going to church and visiting grandparents later this afternoon. Nice normal happy Sunday, really.

I might later try to use the holiday to leverage some help with dishes and laundry. But gifts aren't needed ... just time together. That is what I'm getting and I couldn't be happier with it.

I'm thankful to be a mom!

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Everyday is Mothers day.

Just as every dollar earned is the Wife's money, not yours.

F*** dad.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: BStoltman

The Hallmark assumption is right. We owned a drugstore and as a child I changed the holiday cards....more and more "holidays" made me increase the size of display, and decrease the amount for each older holiday.

It was evident to me and my father's opinion...these "Secretary's Day", and "Sweetest Day" types etc...were all created to sell more cards....

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Everything is commercialized. It's an opportunity to make money. Why waste it? Not that I agree with it. I would enjoy holidays a lot more if they weren't so based around materialism.

My husband asked me if I wanted anything and I told him no. I just wanted his help on making the day special for my mom. I'm terrible at this holiday thing. Lol.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: BStoltman

The Hallmark assumption is right. We owned a drugstore and as a child I changed the holiday cards....more and more "holidays" made me increase the size of display, and decrease the amount for each older holiday.

It was evident to me and my father's opinion...these "Secretary's Day", and "Sweetest Day" types etc...were all created to sell more cards....

Its sad but so true, i really wish some holidays werent so commercially orientated. But there is no way to keep the world from capitalizing on a potential situation.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: BStoltman
I love and respect

AntiSemitic avatar?

new topics

top topics

join