It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever experienced God?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf
a reply to: LucidWarrior

I expressed as much to my ex, that god is within, if anywhere at all. I simply have not felt any external reverence.

I do feel that to be honest, that giving is all I am meant for. Which creates problems when I need for myself. I used to be a student, learning to be a counsellor but soon realised it taxes me far too much. So I opted to help the homeless, I'd sit with them and just listen.

But the nagging wants, that everyone else has, was too distracting. Love, for one. Not just lust. It broke me, I suppose. Many facets to the thing that I am, have. And it was at my worst that I reached out for god to give me strength, but it never came. I don't know if it is me, or if it was never going to be there.

Some of us just have to accept that we are external souls, I suppose. Window shoppers. reflections so others can see themselves with a different perspective. looking on at a world around, and I guess, finding solace in that we can be road maps for others towards their own happiness. Obviously not as I type now. the deep scars reveal words I mostly keep hidden...

That's normal. You're taking that pain away from them and pulling it into yourself. Ive been there too. You're not strong enough to take on the world but the more you take on the more you've helped others relieve their pain. If you can't take any joy in that, looking back, then you're missing out, brother. I'm a strong willed guy with little outward emotion but seeing tears on a persons face, the strong they are the more it rips me apart when they cry.. but when they do it out of relief and thanks... It feels like there is no reward greater inside.

So our rewards aren't here. What if they're after. If so, I hope I can at least get a small forward to find just a little bit of happiness on this earth before I get there to spend the rest of it. I'd spend that forward on a beautiful heart that I can love with all of mine right here right now. Sometimes it comes and I'm happy but sometimes it comes and what I thought I wanted drives me up the wall.

It comes man.. You just can't give up. For every good you're righting, screaming, crying for.. there is an opposite force that's trying to take it away from you and often it happens through you and your own actions swayed by that force.

Still.. it's a lesson you may have to go through often to finally "get it". Sometimes you can look deep in yourself and understand it right away, then on to the next lesson.

You seem like a very deep person. I can see it in the way you express yourself via your words and metaphors. Irony should be easy for you and so would what the lessons are teaching because they often also come in metaphors.

See... of all of the posts here, yours interest me more. Not because I want you to believe... I want you to find your own way because I can't tell you how, but I do want you to experience that awesomeness because there is nothing like it once you see it and understand it for what it is, even partly.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

ok another question for you. im sure you are aware that there are literally thousands of gods throughout the history of theology. why your god specifically? i know there are a lot of people who venerate a sort of amorphous idea rather than actual person. is that the boat you are in? or is there a face and a name and a personality? why yahweh and not odin? why zeus and not lugh? why krishna and not ra?
edit on 14-5-2017 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy
a reply to: Ghost147

I don't believe in the existence of god and i just could have been writing about an alien army. I'm just not sure what it was that i saw because a f#cking mental barrier keeps me from disclosing anything. I'm literally incapable of describing in full detail what i experienced. It's pretty frustrating but it is what it is.

I want to kill god and not worship it. I also pondered the idea what would happen if god and the devil are one and the same entity. I just don't get why people choose to believe in god or blame god for a tragedy. My father died a few years ago and i said f#ck you to god mutilple times hell i still do but that doesn't mean i believe in god. I could say f#ck you to a cloud and nothing would change for me. It's just to express my anger and rage because his death caused a lot of misery for my family.

Your above mentioned rage is pretty common place for people who don't believe in God. Always blaming the being who they "don't believe in".

Life is messed up for me so lets blame the creator...

or

I don't have what everyone else has so lets blame the creator...

Yet... we tend to forget about the power of free will (can't have it both ways).

Yet we ignore the possibility that those 'barriers' are placed in your path for a reason, a maze, a teaching tool, for what comes later. Maybe when you're older... maybe when you're much older... maybe after this world... maybe all of it. Maybe our little brains cant take it all in at once and have to learn like children, slowly and one step at a time.

Or... Just maybe

Maybe each of us exist in our own little universe and all that we see, all the people, personalities, tragedies, wars, joys, happiness, sadness, our family, our friends... Maybe every single thing around us is not real and it's only each of us in our own little universe that is real. All that surrounds us is that which is needed to teach us and prepare us for what comes next.

I often wonder this because It's always odd that I might be a thousand miles from home (and this seems to happen more often than it should) and I will run into someone I know or the person I meet might be close connected to someone else I know very well from complete different areas so many miles away from one another. It happens to me now and then and it's so crazy. Is the world really that small? lol

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

ok another question for you. im sure you are aware that there are literally thousands of gods throughout the history of theology. why your god specifically? i know there are a lot of people who venerate a sort of amorphous idea rather than actual person. is that the boat you are in? or is there a face and a name and a personality? why yahweh and not odin? why zeus and not lugh? why krishna and not ra?

'Maybe' the God I believe in is one and the same. Maybe not. I'm not praying to the religion. I believe/pray to a singular omnipotent being who created all things. I don't know what guises he may have worn through out time and existence.

We a people of many languages and cultures... why wouldn't we have a different name for our God if we have different words for a single object?

Perhaps we've prescribed "god of.... action" based on what was done for the person that described God to others".

If God is all as I believe then that very same God would have been involved in all peoples and all cultures through out time. Just as I believe the adversary would have been just the same trying to be and take the place of God.

To me... If there is strife in the world, it means there must have been an adversary because why else would God have to show us the difference had their not been one of which to side with? No devil... no sin.

But yes... My origin would be the same Hebrew God of the Bible and Jesus Christ his son. Though I believe the above could be true as well. I just think outside of the box of most modern religions. I believe that God has given dominion over the earth to Jesus, who will wrestle it away from the devil. I believe in what's in the bible and it shouldn't be watered down or sugar coated. I believe it's that way for a reason. I also believe that all humankind fall short of that ability to be good. No I don't want women stoned for showing some ankle because that's not the ways I lived in. When you live in a world of these things, right and wrong are different than others in another world, time and place. I don't want gay people to be killed because I don't believe in killing. It would hurt me greatly to extinguish the spark of another living soul where they could not exist in this world with their loved ones and friends anymore. That would cause a chain reaction that would take so much away from so many. That person may mean the world to someone else and it would hurt me deeply to remove another persons love in that manner.

ok... I'm rambling

edit on 14-5-2017 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   

i asked why though...

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LilithImmaculate2

Nope. Nothing ever remotely like it.

Closest I could imagine would be when I was little and my mum cuddled me.

That'll do.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

i asked why though...

Oh sorry. I missed the why part.

Hmmm To be honest, I dont know why. I can't say that it's because it's how I was raised. Many of my family members went over to different religions and I witnessed that while being very young. I was brought to many types of churches growing up, though sure, all of them were Christian churches of one denomination or another and none at all.

Why this particular God? I don't know. It just feels right. I've gotten into reading and had been fascinated by many religions and even mythologies and I never thought to follow any of them. In the back of my mind I might believe to some degree that they're really all the same so I guess it doesn't matter which. I identify with this one because it just feels right.

I guess I can say... This one works. It's like having a keychain with many keys and only one key seems to unlock this door so for me it works when I use the key, so to speak. I don't call out to Yahweh, I just call out to God. Jesus also but it's the only name for the son of God that I know (aside from Yoshua (Joshua), Emanuel, and so forth are all more less titles in other languages, but they're all the same person).

Let me use this as my answer, maybe you'll see what I'm getting at:

Forgive me.. This is supposed to be a real even based on an important person but I can't find it anywhere because of the search terms being too vague. I will paraphrase.

A man was speaking to an angel in a vision and asked the angel what was the true religion to follow. He was Catholic and his friend was another religion. The angel told him that for him, being Catholic was the most correct....for him. His friend's religion was also the right religion... for him.

Both of which lead them to the same place, each in their own way and each that they understood better than any other.

(Man I wish I could find that story)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: TarzanBeta
God is the reason I love all of you.
that is a bit odd, because i have no notion of god, and i still feel really happy and i feel like i have a lot of love for everyone as well. It seems odd because you base so much on this thing that may not exist. But i would imagine that if god was disproven to you tomorrow, you would still have a lot of love.

Maybe. In my experience, though, people who haven't yet recognized Jesus, but have lots of love, end up accepting Him eventually. I call those people my brothers and sisters because God is timeless.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

originally posted by: Perfectenemy
a reply to: Ghost147

I don't believe in the existence of god and i just could have been writing about an alien army. I'm just not sure what it was that i saw because a f#cking mental barrier keeps me from disclosing anything. I'm literally incapable of describing in full detail what i experienced. It's pretty frustrating but it is what it is.

I want to kill god and not worship it. I also pondered the idea what would happen if god and the devil are one and the same entity. I just don't get why people choose to believe in god or blame god for a tragedy. My father died a few years ago and i said f#ck you to god mutilple times hell i still do but that doesn't mean i believe in god. I could say f#ck you to a cloud and nothing would change for me. It's just to express my anger and rage because his death caused a lot of misery for my family.

Your above mentioned rage is pretty common place for people who don't believe in God.

no it's not. It's a common theistic view of atheists because they often have trouble understanding how someone could live without believing in any gods.

The person you quoted is actually the only person who claims to not believe yet still hates god that I've ever seen.

And I too don't really understand, fully, where that member is coming from

Maybe every single thing around us is not real and it's only each of us in our own little universe that is real. All that surrounds us is that which is needed to teach us and prepare us for what comes next.

Or maybe.... [insert any random thing you want that's unfalsifiable] too!!!

The thing about unfalsifiable nonesense is that it's both completely irrelevant because it's incapable of being proven factual, and it's simultaneously ridiculous to believe in for the same reason.

I could say any unfalsifiable alternative to your point you just made and it would be equally nonsensical and 'valid'

its why religion is so effective, it makes people want something to exist, it makes people fear not believing in it, and it's so nonsensically unfalsifiable that it tricks people into holding onto it regardless of what illogical concepts it spews

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I imagine any deity that is omnipotent and/or omnipresent would be rather above the concept of sexuality.

Our view on the universe to date is rather limited considering we can only really interpret around 5%, the rest is composed of dark energy and matter that we simply do not have the tools to measure or understand.

If there is a God/Gods they have yet to make there presence known to humanity in any meaningful way. And if such an entity did have a hand in our creation with a distinct function for our race and our place in the universe in mind one would imagine it would have the common decency to turn up, show us the error of our ways regarding us killing in Gods name throughout recorded history and point us in the right direction as to the required paradigm shift humanity needs to belay destroying ourselves in the not to distant future.

Gods an absentee parent at best, and a genocidal maniac with an inferiority complex at worst, at least the ones portrayed in all of our religions texts seem to fit that bill.
I connect to God through sexual experiences. She is female through and through. Her love for us is infinite.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I sometimes experience what I believe to be god when I write and when I connect with people. I experience as I put it once, "I breathe in gasps of ink and in the breath between self and other" I have a hard time escaping myself otherwise. When I write, sometimes there is just this euphoric clarity of purpose and wisdom, what I can only call eudaimonia. When I connect with other people my soul lifts up a d I am able to open up and go to greater lengths of effort. When I'm by myself, when it's something I'm not required to do I tend to waste away.

I would guess I lean toward more of a feminine God, but that's just based on my perception, I would personally think of god being asexual because I don't think they(royal they) need to reproduce... I see the way God communicates with people in the fashion of the Greek Muses.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

Originally posted by LucidWarrior
I sometimes experience what I believe to be god when I write and when I connect with people.

Originally posted by LucidWarrior
I experience as I put it once, "I breathe in gasps of ink and in the breath between self and other" I have a hard time escaping myself otherwise. When I write, sometimes there is just this euphoric clarity of purpose and wisdom, what I can only call eudaimonia.
When I connect with other people my soul lifts up a d I am able to open up and go to greater lengths of effort. When I'm by myself, when it's something I'm not required to do I tend to waste away.

What you’re describing is right up there with “where two or more are gathered in my name, there I will be also)…And I don’t mean anything to do with religion or Christianity here. It’s just that the statement is about people growing in spiritual truth by interacting with each other.

When 2 or more people are discussing and debating spiritual topics and truth, this will ultimately lead to Wisdom and Understanding being built up within.

You experience God when you connect with people, because God is right there within others and within yourself…

God, Spirit and Truth walk hand in hand…

- JC

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne
a reply to: intrptr

How should I know?

My meeting with the guy was completely unexpected.

I don't know why some people experience him and why some don't.

How should you know? You're the first I ever heard say they 'met God'.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

If it satirizes the world and our mislead ideologies , then good.

I prefer Hunter Thompsons Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, personally.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I have felt how they murder her. Day after day.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecroft

It doesn't even have to be explicitly discussing and debating spiritual topics and truth though, but agreed otherwise.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LilithImmaculate2
I connect to God through sexual experiences. She is female through and through. Her love for us is infinite.

Have you ever considered that you are dealing with "a god," rather than "God?"

I believe there are all sorts of entities, even just semi-conscious systems, that interact with humans in exactly the same terms as humans expect "God" to interact. Basically, someone has an experience with a being that has less limitations than us (or at least the human thinks so), and are immediately labeled with the "God" moniker.

I think a lot of it stems from our self, being projected onto an experience. For instance, many individuals perceive God, or gods, in terms of themselves. So, women will tend to think what they are dealing with is female, men will think male, and many other anthropomorphic projections. Entire pantheons even have their foundation in it. In my opinion, its completely fascinating. There's also the proposition that what we experience is our idealized self, but is not actually a "real" limitation, or static attribute, of the god.

There is also the interesting notion that such entities appear in the way they are expected, and most easily accepted. So, someone expecting an omniscient, omnipotent female who exudes Love would get just that. In my experience, this concept has substantial merit, but getting different results requires a level of "hacking the self" that few have any desire to pursue. I think this may also influence whether an individual has an experience at all.
edit on 15-5-2017 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

thanks for the tip, sounds like a good watch

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I definitely have felt God many times throughout my life.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

i asked why though...

Oh sorry. I missed the why part.

Hmmm To be honest, I dont know why. I can't say that it's because it's how I was raised. Many of my family members went over to different religions and I witnessed that while being very young. I was brought to many types of churches growing up, though sure, all of them were Christian churches of one denomination or another and none at all.

Why this particular God? I don't know. It just feels right. I've gotten into reading and had been fascinated by many religions and even mythologies and I never thought to follow any of them. In the back of my mind I might believe to some degree that they're really all the same so I guess it doesn't matter which. I identify with this one because it just feels right.

I guess I can say... This one works. It's like having a keychain with many keys and only one key seems to unlock this door so for me it works when I use the key, so to speak. I don't call out to Yahweh, I just call out to God. Jesus also but it's the only name for the son of God that I know (aside from Yoshua (Joshua), Emanuel, and so forth are all more less titles in other languages, but they're all the same person).

Let me use this as my answer, maybe you'll see what I'm getting at:

Forgive me.. This is supposed to be a real even based on an important person but I can't find it anywhere because of the search terms being too vague. I will paraphrase.

A man was speaking to an angel in a vision and asked the angel what was the true religion to follow. He was Catholic and his friend was another religion. The angel told him that for him, being Catholic was the most correct....for him. His friend's religion was also the right religion... for him.

Both of which lead them to the same place, each in their own way and each that they understood better than any other.

(Man I wish I could find that story)

well thanks for trying anyway.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join