It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do you jerk it??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justso
a reply to: incoserv

You killed and ate a horse? Like, really? My heart is pounding-were you starving?

You have no idea, do you? You really think that your cultural experience defines how the whole world lives (or should live)?

Many, many cultures around the world eat horse meat. It's not unlike beef. Just because you don't do it doesn't meant that it's wrong or that other people don't do it as a matter of course.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I have made jerky out of beef heart before, that actually turned out really good. Kind of tough though. I brought two big bags of it down to a friends shop and it seemed like everyone showed up that day, the two one gallon ziploc bags of Jerky disappeared within three hours. There is something about smoked heart jerky that causes you to constantly be eating them.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Have you tried pemmican?

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

Have you tried pemmican?

yeah.
as far as store bought goes i like bridgeford better but there really crap compared to what you can make yourself.

and back to the horse. dude i would eat horse in a second. i often say when i am debating various things that i think horse should be sold in stores right next to pork and beef. just seems logical. i mean there is a lot of meat on a horse and it seems like as good a food source as any.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Ok I got a pretty lean looking bottom round roast...4lb @ $2.99/lb.
Almost no fat from what the side cut looks like.
I picked up a teriyaki marinade and I will try the A1 and a BBQ sauce too.
I will post back tomorrow when its done....wish me luck lol

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Look into some Blue Mountain Jerk Sauce. Habenjaros, Scottish Bonnets Peppers and RASPBERRY juice.!

Sautee or cook chicken in it and it turns the chicken purple! Its awesome!

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
Ok I got a pretty lean looking bottom round roast...4lb @ $2.99/lb.
Almost no fat from what the side cut looks like.
I picked up a teriyaki marinade and I will try the A1 and a BBQ sauce too.
I will post back tomorrow when its done....wish me luck lol

thats a killer price. you should buy some more and freeze it unless its that price around you all the time.

when you cook steak you want a little fat marbled through it for flavor but you dont want fat when you make jerky. it will turn into little chewy bits...
also the thinner you cut it the faster it will dehydrate....

i cut mine pretty thin....just experiment with it.
unless you cut it super thin and like it chewy i would think 8 hours would be the minimum if youre using the dehydrator i have. of course if you get a new one you will need to experiment with your times.
awesome too cause jerky will last. if you can get a load of meat and keep that bitch running for a couple days straight you will be good to go with jerky for a bit.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I am pretty sure it's that price all the time or real close to it.
I figured the less fat the better....there is some fat around the outside but the end cut looks like there is almost none in the middle.
You ever try any steaks?...like Delmonico or New York strip?
I was wondering if it really made a big difference in the quality of the jerky but definitely more expensive for sure.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I am pretty sure it's that price all the time or real close to it.
I figured the less fat the better....there is some fat around the outside but the end cut looks like there is almost none in the middle.
You ever try any steaks?...like Delmonico or New York strip?
I was wondering if it really made a big difference in the quality of the jerky but definitely more expensive for sure.

definitely trim all that fat off the ends.
as far as delmonico and #....seems like a waste because you are taking all the moisture out of it so i dont think the jerky would taste much better...maybe it would but for those prices im #in grilling it
i do london broil or round because the fat is on the ends and it is easy to trim.

thats a good price. i paid $5.99 a lb today for my #

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
We do the occasional batch of jerky.

The next time we do some, I want to try a marinade we use for skirt that has soy, garlic, and a mix of citrus juices in it along with seasonings. It makes killer fajita steak and I'm wondering how it would do as a jerky marinade.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Your insensitivity is showing-you are on a first world web site-we don't eat horses-they are pets and loved and not food. It doesn't make you cool or more worldly than others who do find eating a horse very offensive. Sounds like you are always bragging how special you are-in this instance-not at all.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Your insensitivity is showing-you are on a first world web site-we don't eat horses-they are pets and loved and not food. It doesn't make you cool or more worldly than others who do find eating a horse very offensive. Sounds like you are always bragging how special you are-in this instance-not at all.

how can someone find what a person eats offensive? i dont get that
id smash a horse steak in an instant

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Bear meat works great for jerky. Some hunters up here just want the hide and head for taxidermy, so I usually end up with 80+ lbs of black bear in the freezer every year.
I do it on the grill with sugar maple wood soaked in water, apple cider vinegar.

Half of batch I coat with a mixture of honey and Texas champagne hot sauce.
And the other I hit with liquid smoke and honey.
Fresh ground black pepper over all of it.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

They are pets.

They are loved.

They are also very, very tasty.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Ok..first batch of 4 trays are done.
I ran it for about 7 hours and I am glad I checked it when I did, because if I would of let it run for 8 or more the thinner slices I had would have been wood chips.
But all in all, it came out pretty good for my first time.
I had 1 tray of each...teriyaki, BBQ sauce, steak sauce and a mix of steak sauce/Worcestershire sauce.
My favorite so far is the BBQ flavor, those stayed really moist...the others are kinda dried out maybe too much but are still pretty good.
I have 4 more trays going again with just BBQ sauce.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

good deal man...you just have to dial it in...
once you get your time down and your sauce/spice combo its gonna be banging....look how much you got though vs how much you get in those bitch ass 3.5 ounce bags....
weigh that # up....

well worth it man...

i always use steak sauce but there are killer marinades out there...then you can start using liquid smoke of thats youre thing...cracked pepper from a mill. caribbean jerk spices....
stick with it man...you will be happy you did cause once you get your method down youre gonna be on it.

maybe for you you will like to marinate it over night. bust out some killer open pit or something..
toss in some lime juice or something....

you can go crazy hot if thats your thing....get some steak sauce and put a splash of daves insanity sauce or something...
ive done mine for as long as 12-13 hours cause i like it brittle. you can also experiment with different thickness of cuts...

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

The 2nd batch I think I got the cut thickness a little more consistent than the 1st. So it should be a little better.
Yeah I got 4 quart size baggies full and will have another 4 with the 2nd batch.
I will keep up on it for sure, try some different flavors.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
How long with this jerky stay good in the baggies?
Do you refrigerate them?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Do you refrigerate them?

We lived in a very dry (land-locked and mountainous) climate. I found it best to leave my jerky in a cotton sack. It would last for ages that way.

In a humid environment, that will be different. In the Gulf South, everything grows mold if left sitting around long enough. Kept in an airtight ziploc type bag in refrigeration, though, the meat should last indefinitely. I don't have a vacuum packer, but I use a straw to suck out as much air as I can before sealing up the zipper top.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Do you refrigerate them?

dude i dont know. i smash through it pretty fast. i would imagine it will stay good for a long time. thats kind of the point of dehydrating meat you know.
get some of those moisture eliminating packets and toss it in your baggie and i would imagine you would be good to go for a long time

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join