It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do you jerk it??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
i just grabbed 5 lbs of london broil. i have 4 trays going right now. i should have enough meat for about 10 more trays.
i go straight A1 sauce. with a different spice on each tray. i have pepper, sriracha, habanero, and coffee rub on top of the steak sauce.

i love jerky man. store bought jerky is #. i dont care what brand. does good in a pinch but is is inferior.

anyone here do jerky?

sorry about the rotated pics. i dont know what is going on

i uploaded to my email and saved then uploaded here and they came out rotated. i tried from my wifes phone and same thing. neer happened before.

either way you get the idea

jerky!!!!!!

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Nice drool inducing thread! That's cool that you cn make your own... I envy that skill.

You reminded me to reorder some Wild Bill's beef jerky... it's unlike anything jerky I've eaten elsewhere. If you're such a jerky fan, I would advise to check Wild Bill's out if you haven't already.

Thanks!

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ttobban

Nice drool inducing thread! That's cool that you cn make your own... I envy that skill.

You reminded me to reorder some Wild Bill's beef jerky... it's unlike anything jerky I've eaten elsewhere. If you're such a jerky fan, I would advise to check Wild Bill's out if you haven't already.

Thanks!

dude there is no skill.

cut the meat into thin strips. soak it in whatever sauce you want. add a spice or not. throw it on the trays and thats it. i let mine go about 12 hours cause i like it a bit brittle. i take my wifes out at about 9 hours....
there are some killer dehydrators out there too.

i have a cheap mr coffee one that works great that cost me $40.
mine only has 4 trays. you can add trays to it or you can get one with more trays.

it will pay for itself in 1 batch.

when you buy a bad of bridgeford or pemicam(sp) it costs about 4-5 bucks for 3.5 ounces.

i bought just under 5 lbs and i will get about 14 normal baggies FULL, im talking about busting out with jerky man...

its way worth it

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I love it when a girl is not afraid to discuss this topic.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
these are nice

you can also do fruit and potpourri....

plus when you buy store bought you are very limited to your flavors....when you make your own you can so whatever

sometimes i use liquid smoke...yum

www.amazon.com...=asc_df_B012CG8N264982332/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B012CG8N26&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167141308 073&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2897731245330424964&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015260&hvtargid=pla-274300905005

www.homedepot.com...|THD|DigitalDecor|google|D29A+Sma ll+Appliances|_pkw__pmt__product_206622950&mid=sVStHNdMy|dc_mtid_8903yuu57254_pcrid_51166493982_pkw__pmt__product_206622950_slid_&gclid=CJm7o6ut7dMCFU O5wAod7rkIsA

this one is 200 bones but you would be professional man

www.meatprocessingproducts.com...

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I do jerky. Have done it many times. Many different treatments, but always salt and my own mixture of spices. I've never used a store-bought sauce (except an occasional splash of Worcestershire or soy). I like salt, red pepper, herbs.

My favorite, though, was kind of stumbled on by accident. We were living in Outer Mongolia, in a nomadic herder's winter camp. I had an outbuilding where we stored tools and such. It was mid-autumn, so the weather was warmish in the daytime, cool at night and very dry. You could strip meat, salt it and hang it and it'd be dry in a matter of a few days.

I had some thinly sliced strips of horse meat that I had salted and seasoned and had hung to dry in that outbuilding, but I realized that flies were getting on the meat in the daytime (nights were too cool for that to be a problem). To keep the flies off, I decided to use smoke. I'd get a bucket of embers from our morning fire and pile a big load of dried horse dung on top of them, set the bucket in the outbuilding and let it smoke all day. This would keep the flies off of the meat, but I didn't stop to think about the fact that I was essentially cold smoking the meat with horse dung.

When it was sufficiently jerked, I broke off a chunk and stuck it in my mouth. It was actually real good. There were no hardwoods in the area where we were living, so everybody to whom I gave a sample taste (without telling them exactly what it was) was surprised at how tasty my smoked jerky was.

edit on 2017 5 13 by incoserv because: I could

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

who is a girl?

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

outer mongolia????
wtf man that is awesome

i would love to try horse jerky.....

thanks for posting that

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
thanks for this post. im going low carb soon, i needed drive around snacks.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I make jerky in the big grill I have, it has the smoker sidebox for smoking foods. It will make good smoked beef jerkey in about eight hours of smoking. I use maple to smoke with. It dehydrates fine.

We have a dehydrater too, but we don't use that very often....come to think about it I haven't even used it since I got it many years ago from my mother.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I usually use top round. Deer back-strap is awesome.
Coat my slices with a mixture of brown sugar, salt and pepper, and garlic powder.
Smoke it for a few hours, usually oak and hickory, and finish it off in an oven set on low with door cracked open.
I could live on it.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

You killed and ate a horse? Like, really? My heart is pounding-were you starving?

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I gotta try making some.
I bought a dehydrator cheap last fall as an impulse buy from Walmart online....I think I paid $17 for it on clearance.
I took it out of the box and have not used it once lol.
It is the exact same one as in your pictures....Nesco American Harvest.
What is the best cuts of meat to use?...can you use turkey?
edit on 13-5-2017 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
I gotta try making some.
I bought a dehydrator cheap last fall as an impulse buy from Walmart online....I think I paid $17 for it on clearance.

im sure you could use turkey but i dont know how good it would taste.

i use either london broil or top/bottom round depending on price per pound and how much far i see running through it.
the one you have is a good dehydrator.....best way to test the turkey would be just to dehydrate a little bit of it

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

outer mongolia????
wtf man that is awesome

i would love to try horse jerky.....

thanks for posting that

Yes Horse Jerky. We're almost out of cows, poor endangered things.

Must be a reech beech thing...

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I gotta try making some.

i use either london broil or top/bottom round depending on price per pound and how much far i see running through it.
the one you have is a good dehydrator.....best way to test the turkey would be just to dehydrate a little bit of it

The reason I ask about turkey is, my wife does some yoga/dieting/fasting type of stuff she has been eating a lot of turkey and chicken foods....turkey bacon, ground turkey...that type of stuff. The bacon tastes terrible to me and it really stinks when she cooks it lol but I like the ground turkey.
I would try the turkey for her but I am going to make some for sure.
How long do you marinate the strips?

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I gotta try making some.

The reason I ask about turkey is, my wife does some yoga/dieting/fasting type of stuff she has been eating a lot of turkey and chicken foods....turkey bacon, ground turkey...that type of stuff. The bacon tastes terrible to me and it really stinks when she cooks it lol but I like the ground turkey.
I would try the turkey for her but I am going to make some for sure.
How long do you marinate the strips?

here is where i differ from most.

most people that make it at home get it cut up and marinate it over night. i tried that once and did not like it...cant really put my finger on why.
ive experimented with different marinades over the years. been making my own for probably 20 years. in the end i always come back to A1 or the generic version of A1. i dump a bottle of it in the bowl and cut my strips and mix it up as i cut. when it is all cut and mixed i lay it on the trays straight away. then i use different spices..cracked pepper. whatever i am in the mood for.

there is no wrong way to do it. you just need to experiment with what you like

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Cool....I am heading out to the store in a little while to check out the meat.
If the prime time to let It "cook" in the machine is 9-12 hours, it's too late to start it today.
I might still be up tonight at 3AM, but I am gonna have a few beers and I don't want to mess with it while I have a buzz the first time lol.
I will start on it in the morning.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Well played, sir.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Cool....I am heading out to the store in a little while to check out the meat.
If the prime time to let It "cook" in the machine is 9-12 hours, it's too late to start it today.
I might still be up tonight at 3AM, but I am gonna have a few beers and I don't want to mess with it while I have a buzz the first time lol.
I will start on it in the morning.

thats prime for me.
i would check it after 8 hours and then go a little longer from there. i like mine on the brittle side

top topics

<<   2 >>

join