It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is white privilege?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: chishuppu

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: chishuppu
I know, right?

I still to this day see descendants of Ghengis Khan unwilling to realize there privilege ove the ancestors of the people he conquered.

The same with many African tribes, the Moors, Native American tribes, etc. None of them show any remorse. Its disgusting isn't it?

are you defaulting to slavery when civil rights where granted in the 60s, my mother was born in 54 and I am 33. Like I stated before you have an incapability to understand and a lack of sympathy for those wronged. Thats ok, you are what you are.

And you are incapable of understanding people other than yourself. What do you say to a poor asian immigrant that can not attend the university of their dreams even though they had a higher score, because affirmative action punishes asian scores more than any other?

What do you say to white South African farmers that are attacked, murdered or have their property taken by the government in the name of racial equality?

You have no understanding or sympathy for them. The difference between you and me is that while we both may not be able to understand what different people go through, I don't act morally superior.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

First of all, every ethnicity has had some sort of slavery. Slavery is not the sole domain of Africans. Look up the Barbary Coast, and indentured servitude, or Rome, or the Jews for examples. And what precisely does white people acting white mean? What or who are we supposed to act like? If you mean being apologetic for everything that happened in the past then you can forget that happening. Reverse racism solves nothing, and encourages push back from us white folk, not dialog...which is what is needed.
If african americans are so bad off, then perhaps they should consider how their ancestors have fared. Or is this because of white privilidge too?
www.economist.com...
blackdemographics.com...

There is no such thing as reverse racism, as black people in a whole we can not affect you economically, education, housing etc. Stop always trying to define things so that they too can affect you and give you an argument, reverse racism is a stupid concept. The one thing about reverse though is that it gets you out situation drive go you into. Either way you have an incapability of understanding black peoples struggle without it causing you emotional distress. Maybe if we switched black to dogs or cats you might understand better.

And here you prove my point in my previous post. We got you, only blacks can be victims of racism. Keep thinking you have that moral high ground though.

How you can criticize others for not understanding what blacks go through, while at the same time asserting blacks can't be racist is laughable.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I believe I see the problem with you sir, you are looking at things from an effect point of view and like I have stated before the cause elludes you or you might feel that its not a problem, that is why I began with that very nice video. It shows how at the height of racism that white people thought eveything was ok, there is one going back to the 20''s.

The Asian has a home in Asian where he was not enslaved and subjected to laws that stopped him from prospering, those laws allowed millions of white Americans to get an upper hand, affirmative action is there because of past discrimination,but I guess you feel that is over for some reason, but ok. I am sure you aren't Asian, actually even Japanese living in white neighborhoods in the 40s got reparations for their troubles, but blacks get nothing. The affirmative actions was because white people decided blacks should get it, not the other way round.

White farmers in SA dont go through that, but I guess you missed the whole apartheid, take land from blacks and slaughter them till the 90s thing, but thats ok the outcry is when the slaughterers lose power, sorite.

Racism involves power, a black man in America cannot be racist, a black man in an Africa country can be racist because power belongs to him. In American nothing a black man does can influence anything ever, good try though thinking racism is about bad people.

White privilege is not what you think it is sir. You don't notice it because you are white. You dont have to live it, its something you dont notice, the white fountain had cold water so your parents did not have to know what it was like to drink hot water from a fountain on a hot Houston day, its just not in their thoughts. At work you dont have to know where the public restrooms or have a waiting time, because you have an employee priviledge of using the employee well maintained bathroom. So when someone comes to tell you about the crap of using those other restrooms down the hall you dont see the problem nor can you relate to it. When you are equally qualified for a job in a place filled with white people and they ask for a referral from an employee as a black man you are # out of luck. They give grants for living in certain areas for college, as a child of post redlining chances are you are # out of luck because you wont qualify. White privilege is how things are geared to your benefit, a black privilege would be if you want to become a gangsta rapper, chances that Chad will be one is slim. A white privilege is playing any role or character in a movie or tv show, for blacks its either a gang banger, felon, gay, victim, military or some stereotyping role. Going to an area of a business and not being asked if someone "can help you" because you dont belong there. Walking to your car in a garage and having to go out of your way because the people in front or behind are afraid you might hurt them. Not being told that you match the description or double checking your money or debit card, having conversations in an establishment stop when you walk in with your friends. No checking the ethnicity on an application because the last 3 jobs you missed then miraculously getting a call back. Changing your accent so you can sound more "professional" to others.

White privilege is the ability to fight with the civil rights groups, BLM etc, then going HOME to where you don't have to worry about it. Having this conversation with me, denying it exists then logging off and not worrying about it or seeing it. Living in an area that was provided by loans not given during times of redlining or after ww2 got back(white only vets), going to the best schools, eating the best foods, enjoying the best environment, going to the best colleges, having a life as a child to adult without being taught by single back teacher, living in a single black neighborhood, then having your kids do the same to come and talk about white privilege being non existent or segregation being non existent.

If you spent 339 years creating whats best for your people only to come and fall in the same category and the slaves, the former slaves, the segregated, lynched, and marginalized then you a breed of stupid idiots.

edit on 16-5-2017 by chishuppu because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-5-2017 by chishuppu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

So how does the white guy in prison for 20 to life over drug possession because of those idiotic 3 strikes laws have an advantage?

Or the white single mother on food stamps working 2 jobs to make ends meet?

Or the white kids that join the military because that is the only way out of the backwoods of (insert rural state here)...

How can you complain about the stereotyping of black people on one hand... then turn around and stereotype white people in the same way you get upset about??

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Racism involves power, a black man in America cannot be racist,

End of discussion.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

End of discussion.

Glad we agree, in case you are being sarcastic I am waiting for you tell me how black people as a whole can influence white people as a whole?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: amazing

So how does the white guy in prison for 20 to life over drug possession because of those idiotic 3 strikes laws have an advantage?

Or the white single mother on food stamps working 2 jobs to make ends meet?

Or the white kids that join the military because that is the only way out of the backwoods of (insert rural state here)...

How can you complain about the stereotyping of black people on one hand... then turn around and stereotype white people in the same way you get upset about??

I'm not stereotyping anyone. I'm just saying in some cases there's an advantage to being white and male. Anyone can have it hard. I'm white and male, and I've had all kinds of bad things happen to me including homelessness. I don't think you really read my post or thought about what I said.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

End of discussion.

Glad we agree, in case you are being sarcastic I am waiting for you tell me how black people as a whole can influence white people as a whole?

I can give you tons of examples that are currently happening.

#1 Physical violence. Hispanic people di not have political power in this country to a great degree, yet if a gang of hispanics attacks a black man and beats him just for being black, they are racist, and can affect overall actions of the others.

The same can be true of blacks to whites.

#2 Universities.

They have anti whiteness curriculum, classes, cater to black only safe spaces, give black people increased admission scores. The institutional power in universities is overwhelmingly liberal and favors minorities.

#3 Public perception

Due to the profound success of attacking white privilege, most public perception in places of power favors minority voices. For example, excuses are made for riots that are predominantly black, any time a black person is hurt by police there public perceives rather or not the incident was racist.

#4 Government jobs

Blacks are overwhelmingly chosen dis-proportionally for government jobs, which pay more and have more benefits than their private counterparts.

Not to mention your premise is flawed.

First off blacks do have political power. Just because there may not be a lot of black politicians, they are a significant voting block that is catered to, and thereby they have as much influence if not more than the average white voter.

In addition, having institutional power is not needed to be a racist. A black person can beat, rob, rape, murder, fire, not hire, or any other number of bad things to a white person based merely on their race, and this is racism.

For example, that handicapped white boy that was kidnapped and tortured by those black kids, would you tell him and his family that although what happened to him was bad, because his attackers don't have political power, they can't be racist so he can take comfort in that.

You have the nerve to accuse people of not being able to relate to black people, and then claim that blacks can't be racist.

You are shameful. You are a racist, and you don't even notice that the group you are disenfranchising the most is black people, because you are infantalizing them in saying we can't hold them to the same standard as white people.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Your example remind me of the whole Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier, it makes white people feel better. The actuality is Jackie Robinson could have been thrown out, kick out, barred and disbanded lol. So white folks with power ALLOWED Jackie to be able to do the things he does, like most of your examples above, can you link me to where black people made those laws that so benefit them, they are your examples. Plus the news outlet that influence are White Jewish owned so they allow to happen as well. When it comes to violence you will see that the white officers do the killing and the black guys do the dying. You are still trying to define racism based upon what can be done to you in this country which if you look at it, its more of a crime than racism. Its not an individual act, the racism blacks felt was not individual, watch the video of the fifteen year old girl it on when walking to school, moms, dads, kids and the like spit on her and laughed.

Good try with the whole you aren't accepting my definition of racist because I am white thing then using races you arent and also grossly affected as example. Wonder if lions argue like that," hey look at they gazelle, they aren't upset or blame us for ripping them apart, they got over it, why wont you?" Do you do this with Jewish folks as well, oh wait the Germans acknowledge their wrong doing. The US did as well in 08 internationally, but the black loving media must have missed that, the UN declared an emergency for blacks after doing an extensive research and claimed the US should be tried for crimes against humanity. Its ok, tell me what you think is going on.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Anyone who feels that a persons skin color makes them incapable of racism is in fact themselves a racist.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Im pretty sure thats what you are saying, so you must obviously be talking with yourself. I said in America blacks can't be racist because they don't have power, in Africa yes they can because they have power there. In SA blacks couldn't be racist because they didn't have power, as of right now they still don't have the power, but if they decided to they could be. Same goes around the world, you seem to still have that understanding problem, you should have it checked out.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

a reply to: Grambler

Im pretty sure thats what you are saying, so you must obviously be talking with yourself. I said in America blacks can't be racist because they don't have power, in Africa yes they can because they have power there. In SA blacks couldn't be racist because they didn't have power, as of right now they still don't have the power, but if they decided to they could be. Same goes around the world, you seem to still have that understanding problem, you should have it checked out.

Yes, understanding the ramblings of a racist who changes the definition of words to show that people of a certain color can't be racist based on where they live is hard to follow.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

The standard of living and standards of education
have been devalued to the level that the subsequent
generations are blind to their controllers.

All according to plan. Until now.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Cheers!
Godspeed in your travels.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

End of discussion.

How about by convincing them all that they have white privilege...

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Saibotkram1988

must take lot of dissonance say such things, here is a nice small lecture by a white person who will explain white privilege and how one of the privileges is that she can explain it for you to listen because she is white.

edit on 17-5-2017 by chishuppu because: (no reason given)

www.youtube.com...
edit on 17-5-2017 by chishuppu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

From a white girl with perhaps Germanic DNA..oh me..oh my.
edit on 15CDT07America/Chicago02470731 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0racle

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: BigBangWasAnEcho
White privilege is your white great grandpa inheriting a home, land, gas station, political seat and textile mill while blacks were just figuring out how to remo those pesky shackles they were mysteriously born with.

So if my great grandparents did not live here and I am a first generation American, do I still have the vaunted Willy P advantage?

According to identity politics yes, because you will accrue some kind of unseen advantage as you move through the system.

No it's simply that they are less likely to face discriminatory disadvantage, based on skin color in majority white population, with a history of racial discrimination.

I get that, but having studied with and now currently working with a ton of social justice type people, they assert it is more than just having the privilege of not facing discrimination. According to them, it's also inter-generational, intersecting systems of poverty or lowered capital accumulation. Also, the derivatives of that could come out as lowered education achievement, etc.

I actually acknowledge these derivatives of poverty, but I think it's more an economic class issue than race.
edit on 18-5-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-5-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Anyone who feels that a persons skin color makes them incapable of racism is in fact themselves a racist.

True.

Ironically, while old school social justice used to say that no group should be stereotyped or negatively/positively essentialized, now SJWs are doing exactly that even with this topic.

If only white people can be inherently racist, but people of color inherently cannot, that is negative/positive stereotyping and essentializing negative attributes to white people as a race. It violates many of the ostensible principles of social justice. It's these double standards that eventually made me become disillusioned with identity politics.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I get your points. I also respect that you recognize that a person of color could be racist in another power context (Africa).

However, one thing that is Orwellian about Identity Politics is the constant redefinition of terms and moving goal posts.

People will say, "THE DEFINITION of racism is power + prejudice." The thing is, that isn't the older definition nor the only one. In fact, when I was first in this social justice game 15 years ago, even social justice type people used to differentiate between racism and institutional racism. Institutional racism is basically what social justice people are trying to redefine as the ONLY definition of racism.

What gives? Why redefine or deny that even in the dictionary there is the interpersonal racism definition?

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join