It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Sessions Just Fired The First Shot In Trump's War On Drugs.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

It'd be nice to not be a criminal for wanting a toke.

Maybe the next life....

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Rand Paul isn't in support;

Sen. Rand Paul, (R-Ky.) criticized the new policy Friday, arguing that mandatory minimum sentences disproportionately targeted minorities because of how different drugs are categorized under the law.

The “new policy will accentuate that injustice,” Paul said in a statement.

Source

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   

No people want to be able to go to the store and buy it. Just like you might want to get some beer or cigarettes or want a cup of coffee.

We all have a vice. What would you do if they made yours illegal?
edit on 13-5-2017 by notsure1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

It's a strong and traditional conservative policy to go after drug-users and traffickers. Higher incarceration rates are intended to deter and punish. Sessions has said his policy is gunning for traffickers and not low-level users, but the latest policy doesn't appear to make the distinction.

The mandatory minimums apply to *all* law-breakers with the option of applying for exceptions to U.S. attorney, assistant attorney general or another supervisor. Lot of work, money and time to go requesting exceptions. This will set inequality and unfairness loose in the system because the exceptions will be subjective, regional and political. I imagine more appeals from 'Blue' states and fewer from 'Red' states.

Voting Republican will obviously see tougher laws against drugs. It's like voting Dems and being startled when they direct more funding into the inner cities.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You're right about that. People with real medical problems don't necessarily grow it for the THC. Maybe anorexia or people with cancer meds that make them vomit when they try to eat.

The people who are using it medicinally are looking at the other terpenes in the plant. CBD, etc., etc.. I don't think that this administration should interfere with medical cannabis UNLESS they catch the medical caregivers or providers dealing illegally. It strikes me that possibly Jeff Sessions isn't aware about States' Rights and amendments to the Constitution to protect that.

Really, it's no different whatsoever from what the Obama administration did. The DEA was ordered with UN support to raid and destroy crops and confiscate cash from medical caregivers in multiple states. Some people were locked up, and some of them died in the jails they were in. Medicine was denied to a 2 year old boy who died not long after they took him off of the oil that was keeping him alive.

Like I said: If there is illegal dealing with the caregivers or providers, I think they should be shut down and prosecuted. Just not on Trumped up charges...

Edit: I think the article has some severe spin also. He didn't say anything about medical as far as I can see. He was talking about ILLEGAL drug traffickers. If he goes after the medical patients, it would cause utter chaos. I'm sure a lot of people would die. As far as going after the recreational states it would be a violation of the Constitution.
edit on 5/13/2017 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   

I don't think you know what your asking for.

You're basically asking for the government to have not only a hand in it but also at a profit. If you value the freedom to partake, you'll want it at a state level exclusively.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   
This is backwards world. Welcome glad you could join. We are slowly gaining more awareness.

Money is about creating debt.
Religion has nothing spiritual involved whatsoever.
Governemnt is the criminals.
The whistleblowers are the bad guys.
Medicine makes you sick
cops and judges protect the real criminals
food is purposely poisoned
air is purposely poisoned
water is purposely poisoned
kids are used as blackmail and ritual
everything the media says is bull#
wars are created funded by bankers to make money
science is ridiculed unless it goes along with the mainstream narrative.
the people who question everything are crazy and the people who go along with it are considered sane.
the good people think everything is normal and this is just the way it is

Been saying this backwards world for years.

Pot has the power to make you question things, it quite possibly is the key the people need to understand we are in backwards world. Hence the reason it is illegal. Same with mushrooms, Dee Em Tee, and '___'.

The government doesn't like mind expanding drugs, only mind numbing drugs.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
your better off just buying it from the people you know. Supports the local economy so to speak. Whether my vice is illegal or not is not going to stop me from getting it, and I really doubt it has stopped everyone else. I agree though whatever it is, it is best for us to just keep it out of sight and go on about as we already have for years.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   

My ex, from a while ago, was caught introducing someone to someone else, that happened to be a place where there was weed.

She didn't introduce them to each other for that reason, but the place was raided while they were there, and she has a felony record now, and spent almost a year in prison.

It shouldn't be this way. We can all try to keep quiet, but sometimes the law is an ass, and catches you unexpectedly.

It'd be like meeting someone, saying "I know where we can have a beer! My mate Bob is a good bloke." and being arrested because he made their own liquor out the back.

And you know, in 95 when I was on usenet, there was one cop who liked to brag about his busting skills, who said that if it were up to him, coffee and tea would be illegal too.

Cheers to you Sgt Rock. you fat man dying of nothing now, hopefully.

Face it, it's profitable to keep vices illegal. Prisons demand it.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Friend of mine got 18 months for petty weed dealing in the 90s. He was knocking out tenner deals and wasn't making much money. None of his customers were criminals. He was also his elderly dad's only carer and his dad died when he was inside. It broke him for a while and even his hair went near white by the time he was released. Mid 30s. I've got plenty of cases and memories like it.

A lot of people say, "The law's the law." In cases like these, I always think the person saying it is a ruthless moron. The law isn't fair or reasonable. I think of the millions who've been exposed to prison life and can't see how the positives of that will ever outweigh the negatives. Families without bread-winners. People cut off from good employment.

These are human resources; men and women who could be adding to the economy instead of being devalued.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Well, Sessions is partly right, most of the people I know that have the MM card actually got it so they could do it legally. I would say seventy five percent around here went out and got a doctor to sign off on it just so they could get legally high and grow their own.

I do not dispute that cannabis does have some good medical properties, it is a medicine. But these people are growing the best strains to catch a buzz with, not the low power medical type.

But, twenty five percent of the people around here are using it to treat medical problems and they need the right to use it, it is a good medicine and affordable if you can raise your own.

It's pot, a weed that grows in the ground that has never caused 1 death. Legalization in Colorado is a boon to tax collection. Who cares why ppl are using it?

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

Read my lips;

Sessions is nothing more than an aged carbunkle on the ass of Amerikkkan politiks!
In the case of the failed 'drug war' and it's resurrection by Sessions, he is a nasty, racist, ignorant wheezing old snail gonna puff his chest and hold up traffic on the 101, and will shortly be thoroughly flattened and left by the side of the road!

Don't eBay your new pipes just yet! *__-

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

That sort of thing happens far to much, hey.. even here, an elderly couple lost their home due to the proceeds of crime act, when their son had hidden a bunch of it in their ceiling. The law didn't discriminate, it just acted. they were innocent, and in my opinion, it should have never been a crime. he was not a king pin, the son, he was just a supplier to people who he could sell to.

under the law, sure he was wrong to do that. knowing the risks. But that is what irks me - if people could go to a pharmacy or even the drug store, the news agent, and buy a known quality of product, at a price determined, he'd have never had any business, and customers would be assured of the thing they purchase.

and yet, I live in a land where people were dying from buying 80% alcohol in bottles made for cooking, at $5 for 375ml and it took more than one case for it to be an issue. bottle shop managers are if nothing else, death dealers.

yet I would not deny them their business, because if someone drinks, it's their choice.

Those who say the law is the law, are indeed the ruthless ones. go back in time, they'd be saying the same about people who helped slaves.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

Read my lips;

Sessions is nothing more than an aged carbunkle on the ass of Amerikkkan politiks!
In the case of the failed 'drug war' and it's resurrection by Sessions, he is a nasty, racist, ignorant wheezing old snail gonna puff his chest and hold up traffic on the 101, and will shortly be thoroughly flattened and left by the side of the road!

Don't eBay your new pipes just yet! *__-

He gonna get K-Lined??

or is he the tip of the mushroom, that has links everywhere... I honestly thought things were changing when it came to this, but I'm getting the sad and scary impression that it is simply subterfuge..

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:44 AM
link   

You do understand he is not referring to individual marijuana use right? Trafficking requires a lot with the intent to distribute.

What happened was the Obama administration got tired of the Mandatory minimums statutes that require set prison terms for certain offenses. Since only Congress can modify the law on mandatory minimums Obama opted to pull an end run around Congress (and the Constitution).

His DOJ essentially had federal prosecutors leave out the of their charge sheets the amount of drugs the person was caught with. It would allows the judge some leeway in sentencing, circumventing mandatory minimums. Sessions has instructed US attorneys to go for the max in cases where evidence of guilt can be easily proven.

The people in federal prison for drug related charges are there for large amounts of drugs (trafficking / distribution etc). The single use offense are at the state / county / city level.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Yes its been pointed out. The problem is change will never happen if we keep letting the same people make the rules.

The whole stance on weed is the problem. Without weed there is no war on drugs.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   

No people want to be able to go to the store and buy it. Just like you might want to get some beer or cigarettes or want a cup of coffee.

We all have a vice. What would you do if they made yours illegal?

Just a minute here. One thing has me sore vexed.

Why is it a vice? I guess I've been doing it all wrong.

Of all the twisted crap that gets hammered into being a straight out turd
and flashed on the telescreen at dinner every goddamn day and night, and this
veritable gift is referred to as a vice.

I guess it's all in how one uses it.
Here's a tip: It starts with the right approach.
Don't let us be mindirected by the hacks.

# 774

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Support Trump on most things but, f*ck Sessions. Legalize marijuana at the federal level. They want to have a war on drugs? Start with the pharmaceutical companies.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
a reply to: rickymouse

I live in a medical marijuana state. It's incredibly easy to get a card and permit to grow and supply for co-ops. This seems much more aimed at the Mexican cartels who's moved into this state and grow and sell illegally.

Who the hell still buys Mexican dirt weed?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: SBMcG

You do know that there is not one person in Federal prison for simply smoking weed or using any other drugs for that matter, right?

I very seriously doubt that anyone would even be sent to state or county prison in this day and age for personal drug use unless there's another crime involved (DUI, property crime, assault, etc...).

If I see even one individual go to prison under Trump for personal drug use not involving any other crime, then I'll change my opinion. As far as drug dealers go -- I couldn't give a s#|t. Especially if they're dealing hard drugs. We have a real problem with that right now...

The bottom line is that this is obviously a turd sandwich meant to bash Trump.

Not one. Correct. More like thousands. Show me your source I'll show you mine

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join