It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RANSOMWARE: Why is not MICROSOFT working together with the nsa?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: galien8

Calm Down , PC Matic would have taken Care of that , and it's Made in America too !~

I'm totally for LINUX now, however on LINUX I must reboot every 4 hours or so, let the current drain out for 60 sec, some background process builds up in those 4 hours, makes computer slow, slower, unworkable slow (I mean in FireFox browser)

Don't know PC Matic (is that an internet security suite?)
edit on 2017-5-13 by galien8 because: typo

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The recent Ransomware known as WannaCry is a tool that was leaked from the NSA, by Rogue elements and is now being used by GCHQ in this attack mostly oriented against the EU and Russia. As clearly visible from Kaspersky attack map Commonwealth nations are not being attacked (Canada, Australia etc.) Most of attacks against the UK are purely symbolic and attacks against russian govt agencies has already been deflected and defused. Who's left ...? EU private enterprises who will bear the brunt and difficulties from this demo cyber attack.

Why is this happening, why is the UK-GCHQ orchestrating this attack? For 3 reasons:
1) UK--EU still hope for a forceful cancellatio of Brexit referendum result, and both the UK govt and EU commission are trying to force private enterprises to submit to the tremendous costs of saving the crumbling EU.

2) Attempt to save the Bitcoin bubble

3) Attempt to save and re-invigorate the fraudish bull# of IT-Security bubble

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
IT Naive people make me chuckle.

NSA and CIA found holes in the Windows NT Core, they created a tool kit that targeted those holes.

A group of people came along and stole those tools from the NSA from a very secure server from within the NSA ( suspect an inside worker, similar to Snowden), those tools were handed off to a group called ShadowBrokers.

That ShadowBrokers group attempted to sell those tools on the Darknet a couple of years back but they got no buyer, so a couple of months ago they released them freely to the net - I have a copy of the toolkit, it has some pretty interesting reading material documents in them and even has the original source code to those tools and the tools them self. - you can find a copy of the tool kit on GitHub yourself - it is clean, but test it out in a VM just to be safe.

I said to myself "I wonder when people are going to take advantage of this toolkit..." and here we are, and let me tell you, what is happening now is nothing, that toolkit has over 20 different exploits and tools targeting many different holes in the NT system, it's not going to be good.

There you have it.

While some of the exploits have been fixed, and the toolkit itself is many years old,many places still use old (XP) systems for custom software, cheapness, and some people just do not update their systems etc etc, however even with an updated system your system can still be affected if your local network has a system that has been infected, it's bad because even newer (up to Windows 10) can be targeted also.

edit on 13-5-2017 by MuonToGluon because: Added + Fixed

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Pretty sure they did fix it in march.

technet.microsoft.com...

The only thing is that they fixed the vulnerability of how it spreads. Of course many didnt update. The Ransomware would still work on you even after having this update, just not the spreading/exploit part.

Or thats my understanding.

But yeah, I agree that this is only the beginning
edit on 13/5/2017 by Neoony because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

And "there-in is the rub"! I tihnk at times like this...its a conspiracy by MS and all the other companies.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Flanker86

white hat hackers black hat hackers grey hat hackers, all dog dung, all lost souls

:-|
edit on 2017-5-13 by galien8 because: emoticon

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

white hat hackers black hat hackers grey hat hackers, all dog dung, all lost souls

:-|

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

And "there-in is the rub"! I tihnk at times like this...its a conspiracy by MS and all the other companies.

well its a conspiracy alright

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

I think your looking in the wrong place for someone to blame........

this vulnerability hit Windows XP almost entirely. Windows XP was retired many years ago, and extended support finished two years ago. All govt departments, in all countires, are aware of the lifecycle of operating systems.

ALL windows XP computers should have been retired or upgraded at least 3 years ago, but govt's don't want to spend the mon ey and this is the result. The same is true of Windows Server 2003 which is still being used in large numbers. and its not just public health, local govt etc. the UK trident system runs on Windows XP.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobsa

this vulnerability hit Windows XP almost entirely.

Windows XP!? Why are all the TV news senders saying it happens to all computers that do not have the latest Windows updates, did not reboot while automatically installing the latest updates, and clicked a malware attachment in emails or are on a network with a computer that clicked a malware attachment?

edit on 2017-5-15 by galien8 because: typo

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   

really, you watch the news for your news?

I work in the industry, the reason it was almost entirely windows XP is because its out of support and not being patched. yes some modern operating system where hit, however, for the most part these are being patched correctly.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobsa

I work in the industry, the reason it was almost entirely windows XP is because its out of support and not being patched. yes some modern operating system where hit, however, for the most part these are being patched correctly.

OK!

200,000 hit = #A XP + #B VISTA + #C W7 + #D W8 + #E W8.1 + #F W10 (all not patched for several reasons)

Leave it at that. :-|

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Snowden is a fraud. Nothing but a sharepoint admin who stole powerpoint presentations. He doesnt actually have any skill.

Microsoft works with the NSA. older but valid example _NSAKEY

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vizzle

_NSAKEY

Interesting this I believe!

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: galien8
Now it looks that MICROSOFT condoles that the nsa uses vulnerabilities, that they (nsa) find in MICROSOFT software themselves, for hacking and cracking home computers of citizens around the world.

Of course there is no collaboration whatsoever between MICROSOFT and nsa, because of the macho culture in both companies, one does not wanna be the underdog of the other.

No, it's because the NSA didn't tell Microsoft about the vulnerability.

Snowden is right by saying: if nsa had privately disclosed the flaw used to attack hospitals when they *found* it, not when they lost it, this may not have happened.

Microsoft is saying the same thing.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel

Microsoft is saying the same thing.

We don't know. For all I know microsoft could have found the day zero exploit themselves and maybe under the counter sold it to a bunch of freelance nsa hackers who leaked it further, the rest is history ...

posted on Jul, 27 2017 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Who told you that Microsoft and the NSA aren't somehow working together. BTW who told people that TOR and EU spy agencies aren't working together?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join