It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood fearing worst box office summer in a decade

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

However, the latest box-office predictions state the first weekend of May through to early September takings will be down five to 10 percent on last year.

According to the Los Angeles Times, that’s a total loss of $450 million as the overall Summer gross in the US is expected to fall from $4.45 billion to $4 billion, the worst in a decade.

While seemingly a relatively small percentage, for the entire cinema industry it could be quite disastrous. The publication states how many executives are worried there are just too many sequels and franchises overflowing the market.

“Some of the tent poles are just not as strong this year,” 20th Century Fox head of domestic distribution Chris Aronson says. “Pirates of the Caribbean? It's the fifth one. Transformers? It’s the fifth one.”

www.independent.co.uk...

So Hollyweird, you finally admit that you failed on making new good original quality movies?

What happened Hollyweird to those days when you made such awesome movies such as Star Trek, Ben Hur, Dirty Harry, Star Wars, Lawrence of Arabia, Princess Bride, Footloose (Not the remake) Tremors, Diehard, Fifth Element?

Now all you do is make remakes, sequels, and many of your movies nowadays are unoriginal.

Also, you make garbage TV Shows such as this for example:

In addition, you make controversial statements about politics in places where it shouldn't belong (Oscars).

www.telegraph.co.uk...
edit on 5/12/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
What do you expect? Filmmakers have made movies based on every idea imaginable. They've run out of ideas and have to rely on sequels, remakes and comic books.

You can find better content on Youtube than you can in the theaters.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Well if they are to do remakes they should have at least remake bad movies. Look at the Ghostbusters fiasco. They ruined an otherwise awesome movie.

As for comic book movies, I know people that are getting tired of superhero movies being released every year. A friend mine said they should at least release it every three years.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I think its funny they are going to consider it "a loss". Sure, it will be a dip from the previous year, but they are still projecting the season to make $4 billion...

HOW THE FACK IS THAT A LOSS?

You know what, the movie industry can cease to exist if these are their greedy-ass standards!

edit on 5310x6753America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago5 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I seriously doubt that. I have a few ideas of my own and not seen on media, as I'm sure you do as well.

It boils down to what they "think" is popular. Deadpool was widely accepted as barely breaking even, but the movie end up BANKING.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Poor things
I hope they are able to survive with the 4 billion. I really feel for them. My tip for them is to wipe with ten dollar bills instead of fifties. It sounds horrendous, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do in these tough times.

Its probably rubbing salt in the horrible, gashed, gushing wound.. but it might help to return to a bit of creativity. And maybe look at how much it costs for a family to go to a movie nowadays.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I'm blessed to work in the entertainment biz, TV and films. Proud to be in the Unions ...

www.sagaftra.org...

www.iatse.net...

I also own a small production co. making features, TV pilots, documentaries and commercials.

Everyone I know is very busy working on big budget projects. All the western location towns are booked thru the fall. Sound Stages all occupied with TV shows.

But honestly, box office is just a small portion of the marketing of features. World wide DVD and cable is where the real money is at. I worked on The Lone Ranger, it was a terrible failure at the box office but made a yuggggggeeee profit anyway.

If you are disgusted with the state of movies. Write and produce what you would like to see, ultimately it's about the story....Have a story to tell? Join us...

Start with this....

www.celtx.com...
edit on 12-5-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Well if they are to do remakes they should have at least remake bad movies. Look at the Ghostbusters fiasco. They ruined and otherwise awesome movie.

I think the problem is that they are too concerned about appealing to certain markets in order to generate profit, instead of focusing on the quality of the content.

Look at some of the Star Wars movies that came out long after the originals. A couple are decent, others are trash.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Preach on! My husband is out with the guys fishing this weekend, so I invited my Sister and 16 year old (twins) niece and nephew to go see any movie they wanted and have Tex/Mex food after...all for the Tex/Mex but the kids said they would rather watch some of the old movies their Mom and I grew up with on Netflix.

We are going to watch Seven Brides For Seven Brothers and the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre. lol

I think we live technology all day at work, school, communications, etc. Nothing entertaining about it in the movies. Go figure. The young ones feel the same. You can make the same damn stuff they show at the movies on your iPhone.

Another dying industry.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

I seriously doubt that. I have a few ideas of my own and not seen on media, as I'm sure you do as well.

It boils down to what they "think" is popular. Deadpool was widely accepted as barely breaking even, but the movie end up BANKING.

There is some excellent stuff on Youtube, if you can get past the kitty videos and other trash. It's become easier and easier for independent people to produce content. (John Titor was right: For you conspiracy buffs)

Those ideas that people like you and I have...are getting out there.

link   
a reply to: olaru12

a reply to: Arnie123

a reply to: Missmissie173

The problem is Hollyweird tend to shut down TV shows/Movies if its closer to the "truth".

Look at Jericho for example.

link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Thanks in advance for the nightmares I'm going to have tonight.

link   

The problem is that they are out of touch, and the fact that better (binge-worthy) material exists on hulu/netflix/hbo/amazon, which keeps people glued to the tube.

It will only get worse for the box offices.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
They should start making movies bsed on perception in different realities. Like just make entire movies as if someone is walking through the world on psychedelics hearing colors and seeing sounds. And they would be existing on multiple planes able to experience perceptions in each simultaneously communicating with the invisibles that walk among us.

That would be so wicked, I think we can support at least a decade on the concept.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

They have a movie closer to it, it's called Dr. Strange

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

The problem is that they are out of touch, and the fact that better (binge-worthy) material exists on hulu/netflix/hbo/amazon, which keeps people glued to the tube.

I think some of the best films have been based on ideas or created by writers/directors that are slightly out-of-touch.

What I am saying is that movies/Hollywood has become too much of a commercial industry and less about the art. The music industry is the same way.

They've lost the art.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven

It will only get worse for the box offices.

As I tried to explain...they don't care about box office...hulu, netflix, amazon, are all crying for original content.

We just sold a western to netflix. We never even considered theater distribution. After the netfilx contract is fin...straight to DVD, Europe and Asia.

We're talkin $$$$$$$
edit on 12-5-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

I'm actually really interested to see how the movie industry adapts, large scale, to the changes that technology have made in the industry.

I'm more on the a/v reproduction end, with dabbling in editing, etc. and its amazing what a consumer can achieve for the money in their own home (even without calibration). Couple that with the high cost of going to an actual theater, the increasing chance of a disappointing experience, and the advent of everything from Red Box to Netflix.. and we should have a nice catalyst for change.

Though, preying on ignorance is still absolutely rampant in the home theater and audio industries. I doubt that'll change..

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
A bad economy and $20 for a movie, drink and a popcorn is bound to hit the bottom line.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
What is the sound of no one caring?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join