It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit School to Hold ‘Muslim Girls Only’ Prom

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Seems like a Detroit school is creating a prom (since 2012) for the Muslim girls to respect religious beliefs.

A Detroit school is on the cutting edge and plan to have a prom for girls only to celebrate Muslim (religious) customs. This is for girls who would not be able to attend because of ultraconservative Muslim families.

With the goal of creating a “safe space” in mind, a Detroit school has set out to hold a girls-only prom to celebrate traditional Muslim customs. It’s being created for girls who would otherwise be prohibited by their ultraconservative Muslim families from going to regular proms, where attendees are allowed to have fun and dance with members of the opposite sex in good old American tradition.
heatst.com...

It is intended to give the Muslim girls who normally wear a hijab to let their hair down with no boys or cell phones allowed. Of course these girls are not allowed to show hair in public with other RELIGIOUS prohibitions. Should this school be allowed to push religion in this instance and not others?

According to Michigan Live, the event is “intended to create a safe space for Muslim girls who normally cover up in hijab to let their hair down in an environment with no boys and no cellphones.” In normal circumstances, Muslim girls and women from ultraconservative backgrounds are not allowed to expose their hair in public, among many other strict religious prohibitions for women. With a cellphone ban in place, no one will be able to share photos of them with their hair displayed to social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook.

edit on 12-5-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Way to integrate!

Not sure why you ever left your homeland lol.

+2 more 
posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
But Christians get mocked when they have proms that ask for modest necklines ...

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Integration is a biggy, but I am also concerned about the lack of outrage from the smarter than me liberal leftist.

The mighty separation of church and state need not apply anymore or only when libs say?

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah, but the Crusades.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I see no problem here and I'm sure if any other religious group would want to organize their own prom they would be allowed to do that too.

Or am I missed something?

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Evil Christians have oppressed them from being able to freely express the full beauty of their religious culture.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Judging from that photo no guy is going to try to hit a home run on prom night with any of those "ladies"

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: residentofearth

I see no problem here and I'm sure if any other religious group would want to organize their own prom they would be allowed to do that too.

Or am I missed something?

From a public high school?

Get back to me when they start allowing the all Christian one and no one starts screaming separation of church and state.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I think separation of church and state comes into play somewhere here.

To those who might defend this what if it were a Christian only prom, would you defend that as well? A state funded school shouldn't be holding exclusionary religious proms.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: residentofearth

I'm sure there is no public school $$ going to this? Like the tables they use in the fund raiser?

How about any staff "brain storming" about the prom on school time along with public school supplies going to this lofty endeavor?

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I find if hard to believe that there would be any support, in fact the ACLU would start cracking skulls and kicking doors in.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

If they use any of the school facilities for it, then that's use of public grounds for religion. Big NO NO for some of the people here.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Its a step forward at least for the girls in question, they are trying to let the girls have some fun and feel included in a backward kind of way mind you , but still its something.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Not sure why you ever left your homeland lol.

It was so the men could get the white chicks, cars and all the benefits. The women? Who cares about them. Keep them controlled.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

This an attempt by the terrorist invaders to receive special rights.

This would never fly for Christians or Jews.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

PRECISELY.

Integration is key and if successful, we wouldn't be having these "all muslim girls only" prom.

Smh, ridiculous.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
People are whining here about how liberals would not support that if they were Christians. I fail to see how it's a separation of church and state. It's just a harmless prom where the girls can be safe and be themselves.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Of course, just muslim girls.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

This is a school getting involved in a religion. This has no place in school and it is horrible and should be against the law (practicing being liberal).

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join