It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump targets the Navy’s new aircraft catapult

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: stormcell

Looks like real world testing isn't needed. 10% failure and limited air craft configuration seems to be a show stopper.

Why would it be considered ready for deployment.

That information seems to be "time-late" as the entry was made in 2014.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: roadgravel

Because that was three years ago. They redesigned several components. And the changes seem to have worked from what I've read.

That's good to hear. I find it a bit difficult to believe that a critical piece of equipment would be that failure prone at this point.

I really hope it turns out to be an improvement. Let the real testing begin.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: TheScale
a reply to: matafuchs

on top of that its stated in this quote from the op that the information the president was given could have been old information. if thats the case the blame rests on the people giving old outdated information to the president.

As I said in my original post, Trump does not like to get morning intelligence briefings or any other sort of briefing. He prefers to get his information from his favorite news shows on television.

...which don't do any great in-depth analysis (such as what an EMALS system is, how it works, etc, etc... he does not get the sort of information that our members had in the ATS thread from 2015 that I linked.

so your just going to pull a story out of your a$$ and go with it when its stated in the articles that it was from what he was told while touring the Gerald R. Ford? this is the type of lunacy that is biting the democrats in the a$$. you posted it for gods sake did u not read it before posting it?
edit on 12-5-2017 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Their next carrier will be a CATOBAR. It's not clear if it will be steam or EMALS.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Here I will help you OP.
The term you are grasping for is...
"Aircraft launching science denier"
*Double Yawn*
It's really sad how petty we all have become.
The fact we are having a political ideology argument online about military hardware that is untested and unproven is stupid. Even more so when you realize it is a bunch of leftists that are normally anti-war are now concerned with how efficiently our military hardware is.

I was under the impression you all wanted us to protect the nation with sling-shots.
Was I wrong?

This would be like me suddenly becoming concerned with the durability of pantyhose or some such nonsense.

The conversion to digital leaves a lot to address in my mind.
Like how protected from EM is this system?
Can it be breached by an outside source?
Sure all these things have been addressed. But we are not privy to such information...
I know someone who is privy to such information though.
The damn president!
It astounds me that people don't think Trump is actually being informed on this stuff and is weighing it all out.

The old steam launchers would work in the harshest of conditions and circumstances. Tested for decades on the field of battle. This new system is unproven and relies on delicate electronic components.
edit on 12-5-2017 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

They're not as delicate as you think they are. Yes, they're electronic as opposed to steam, but steam catapults are maintenance intensive, and aren't as efficient.

This is no different than any other system. We build them better, everyone talks about how vulnerable they are and how much worse than the old system it will be, and it then goes out and within a few years works the kinks out, and surpasses the old system.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
Here I will help you OP.
The term you are grasping for is...
"Aircraft launching science denier"
*Double Yawn*

Sure all these things have been addressed. But we are not privy to such information...
I know someone who is privy to such information though.
The damn president!
It astounds me that people don't think Trump is actually being informed on this stuff and is weighing it all out.

Really? It's one of the military staff that said he doesn't have the correct information...Null argument, try again.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
when the country is 20 trillion in debt it`s probably best to stick with what will do the job at the lowest price.
if America was rolling in money then by all means go ahead and spend money on new advanced expensive technology.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

What has worked in the past isn't going to work well in the future. Steam catapults are large, inefficient, and hard on the aircraft. Right now, we're looking at aircraft having structural cracks, so that's going to make things worse in the long run.

EMALS on the other hand, is smaller, is far more efficient than steam catapults, has the capability to accelerate the aircraft more evenly which puts less structural pressure on them, and allows more room for heavier takeoff weights.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Whats to keep a nearby nuclear EM Pulse from disabling all the launches on one aircraft carrier.

Presumably, the fact that EMP doesn't really work like it does in the movies.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
one group of people im sure who will love this are the sailors who are below decks trying to sleep. i know they hate the steam catapult for how noisy it is and constantly keeps them up. im curious just how easily something like this can be repaired while out at sea. id imagine a good bit of the steam catapult system can be manufactured in the machine shop onboard. maybe this is more like a plug and play system. just keep backup modules and replace them if needed.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Nucleardoom

Only a moron would keep making excuses for this idiot! Trump is pathetic, and people like you who make excuses for his ignorant rhetoric, pathological lies and his constant claims of fake news, are only reducing the credibility all Americans should expect from their president. It's laughable that supporters think Trump is so smart when he constantly contradicts himself, and creates more attention to himself because of his obsession to tweet immature comments. He can't accept criticism and attacks celebrities and SNL comedy skits that have made fun of presidents since their debut! Someone who was smart and didn't have such a narcissistic mental disorder would quickly stop tweeting and attacking people who criticize him!

He uses a smartphone & twitter, but he has no clue what digital is???

What part didn't you hear? It came out of the horses mouth! Understanding digital is a lot more involved than just using a smart phone and tweeting,

You should get back to your cubicle at CNN or you'll miss "after lunch spin time".

Spin time? We get enough spin from Spicer and Kellyanne Conway! They try to cover Trump's ass every time something stupid comes out of his mouth. Supporters fall in line like zombies and call everything that comes out of Trump's mouth and is recorded on video as FAKE news! It's really pathetic when facts are facts and they're caught on video staring you in the face, yet you call it fake news! You must prefer getting all your news from the POTUS without any checks or balances from the news media. A free press was created to expose the truth and prevent government corruption. With all the attacks on Sanders being a communist during the campaign, now these same people who attacked him want a press like North Korea and the old Soviet Union! Sounds like communism to me.

Sure media is bias at times, but facts are facts. CNN or FOX news no matter how bias they can be, can't deny a recorded video or twist a statement that came directly out of Trump's mouth! I live in a world of reality. I could agree with Trump on some issues, but I'm not going to ignore blatant lies and just plain ignorance. If Americans can't put their party affiliation aside and call out the wrongs of their own party, America will continue to be divided. Voters demand for credibility in their representatives and presidents will go on deaf ears.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: Nucleardoom

Understanding digital is a lot more involved than just using a smart phone and tweeting,

Yea, it's super complicated stuff called math: 1's and 0's. It would take a degree from Harvard to understand by your logic. LOL

edit on 15-5-2017 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join