It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you proud of your country???

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Your not a person who whines about grammar I hope.

Yes there atroscious fishing polciies isn't that what I said Im sure it is.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: FuggleHop

I applaud you for being a proud American. I take issue with you claiming that others have no right to feel as proud of their nation as you do about yours.
edit on 14-5-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Am I proud of my country?

Why wouldn't I be? Sure there are issues, what country doesn't have 'em?

I stroll down the street and see kids of different ethnicities, religions, etc... playing together raisin' a joyful ruckus. I see deadly serious basketball games being played on playground courts. Little ones learning to play and enjoy the greatest of American past times--Baseball.

Over yonder, skateboarders are flyin' around doin' all sorts of insane stuff that I'd give forty years of my age to attempt.

...and there, in that park over there, I spy a couple of old guys playin' an equally deadly serious game of chess, complete with a clock. Deadly stuff. ...and just beyond them, over by the duck pond, I see a young couple walkin' hand in hand, young in love maybe, they're both pushin' 80 if they're a day...not only a couple, but probably best friends, too.

Sure, there are idiots out there who claim that the country is "going down hill fast"...I beg to differ. Is America what it could be...no, perhaps not. But is it what it should be? I'd say yeah, it is. A country is a reflection of the people that live in it, and most Americans abide by a very simple, very useful, rule: You leave me alone, and I'll leave you alone. Seems to work, most times.

There's a dark side here, too. But in order for us to know that, the dark has to be contrasted by a light, does it not?

In our all-fired rush to find fault, we lose sight of what's good.

People are up in arms about antifa... OK, fine, you're allowed to be, I guess. Some of their behaviours have been less than admirable, and so deserve to be called on it. However, they're allowed to, in this country, to speak their minds without fear of govt. interference. That's something to celebrate.

My friend is allowed to go to his mosque without fear. So, too, is my Jewish friend allowed to attend his synagogue is peace. Ya wanna know something really cool, they're only a block apart. Yet no conflict, and not too far away is a Russian orthodox church.

Catholic. Muslim. Jew. Pagan. Non-denominational. Agnostic. Atheist. ...and a hundred others, all living and worshiping in peace with each other. More importantly, those who would wish otherwise are, for the most part, given a well deserved short shrift.

Issues?

Oh my yes, there are issues. We aren't as tolerant of others as we could be, or some of us aren't...most others abide by that rule I mentioned earlier...don't bug me, I won't bug you. But that doesn't change the fact that there are folks out there who won't tolerate that which is different...they seem to think that different is synonymous with dangerous in every case. Your skin is lighter/darker than mine? Dangerous and/or inferior. Your religion is different? Dangerous and/or inferior. Hell, you believe in a deity at all? You're dangerous and/or inferior. ...and on it goes. We all know the litany...we hear it all the time. One of the downsides, I suppose, of that pesky freedom of expression thing...

In a month or so, probably a bit more, I'm moving to Tennessee. ...as I have family history in the region, and that I'm a bit of a redneck at heart, it's a move I'm looking forward to. On my journey, I'm sure to come into contact with a few folks...I'll be willing to wager that not one of them will express any great disdain...unless they happen to not like the Seahawks--but that's their issue, not mine

Other issues are plain to see. My govt tends to be way too interfering in matters that don't necessarily concern them...and that's my fault, at least in part, for not being more involved in things political, or not enough, any way.

But over all, the things to be proud of far, far outweigh the things that aren't.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: FuggleHop
a reply to: CulturalResilience

My pride stems from the fact that I am an American %100 proud.

Good for you!

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
You will never see me waving the flag in a patriotic fervor but I love my country dearly in my own way.

Many Australians suffer from the cultural cringe and small mans syndrome. I think this is a huge shame. We have a lot to be proud of. We federated into a nation united under a constitution without spilling one drop of blood. We went from being a convict dumping ground to a modern industrial nation which scores highly on nearly every comparable measure without many hiccups or problems along the way.

Of course we have our own share of problems and I would never try to sugar coat things into appearing as something they're not. But after travelling and studying history - I can't relate to the general sense of narcissism and anti-civic mindedness which is popular among other young millennials.

In response to a point raised by the OP:

Anti-Americanism is another fashionable trait among the left here. These guys are probably the most vocal but I would like to take this chance to say that they do not speak for the majority of us. We love the United States! I see your country like an older brother who also decided to reject the rule of our overbearing colonial parents.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   

a reply to: Christosterone

America is the ONLY country worth being proud of. Let me listify:

The French have nothing to be proud about.
The English have nothing to be proud about.
The Germans have nothing to be proud about.
The Italians have the renaissance to be proud about but that was a long time ago so they can stop being proud now thank you.
The Swiss have absolutely nothing to be proud about.
Spain hardly counts.
The Norwegians have nothing to be proud.
The Finish have nothing to be proud about.
The Ukrainianians have nothing to be proud about except the T34 but that was 2nd gen tech.
Byleorussia is on par with the French.
Russia has nothing to be proud about except having a president whos almost as smart as ours.
Japan loses every war it fights.
China makes stuff that breaks.
Australia has nothing to be proud about.
Thailand has pahd Thai noodle which is ok.
India is too spicy.
South Africa has nothing to be proud about except finally over turning apartness.
Congo has gorillas.
Somalia is like heaven on earth not.
Egypt has nothing to be proud about.
Mexico is like the canada of the south.
Canada is like the mexico of the north.
Argentina has nothing to be proud about.
Brazil has nothing to be proud about.
Cuba has nothing to be proud about.
Iceland is ok.
Greenland should be ashamed of themselves.

Seems like the USA is really the only country to be proud of being a part of. No wonder we all so fly so many flags all over the place! Were buoyed by our pride!

Our pride of being the best!

Wow you are he perfect example of what (many) Americans are and think..

Btw Americans = Germans, Brits, Italians, etc. for the most part. It's the same people.
edit on 14-5-2017 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

No. Only AMERICANS are american. Everyone else is just british or german or japanese or chinese or indian or welsh.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   

What's so bad about the fishing policies in Greenland?

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Its a dying industry and they rely way too heavily on it. Its unsustainable and they arent making preparations for an alternative A level industry.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   

So that's the sole reason you think Greenland should be ashamed of itself?
You didn't really think about it did you?
Native American slaughter, Vietnam, black people treated like # until the 60's, highest prison incarceration rates in the world, millions without health care...

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Yeah, but at least we have freedom?

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   

What, do you think people in Greenland do not have freedom or something?
edit on 15.5.2017 by grainofsand because: typo

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Yeah, but at least we have freedom?

My God! A lot of countries have freedom. Well, led to believe they have freedom. What is the difference between american freedom to england, france, italy, etc?

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Britain does have a wonderful and amazing history .. I am a born and raised Brit that chose to migrate to the USA.. (1980) Also wonderful! A beautiful country I call home. Over time both of my countries have become barely recognizable .. Grief, poverty and administrative abuse of the working/taxpaying servant have made us all (mostly) resentful of the people we vote to represent us. In fact, most politicians are a damnable embarrassment to those of us with average intelligence. The USA is now regarded worldwide as a war machine. Our only product is weapons. The economy is dead .... because we import almost everything (except tools of death). We now have a "President" that represents the poor quality of basic education the US provides and mandates, at huge expense. Neither are places I would choose to live in or raise my children if I were young enough to relocate my life. But ... I still love the UK and the USA.reply to: Christosterone

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ConscienceZombie

Hehe, interesting answer....kinda was thinking something along those lines =]
buuuttt
THIS MURRIKAHHH so cheers to all!

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ozzyhoss
Britain does have a wonderful and amazing history .. I am a born and raised Brit that chose to migrate to the USA.. (1980) Also wonderful! A beautiful country I call home. Over time both of my countries have become barely recognizable .. Grief, poverty and administrative abuse of the working/taxpaying servant have made us all (mostly) resentful of the people we vote to represent us. In fact, most politicians are a damnable embarrassment to those of us with average intelligence. The USA is now regarded worldwide as a war machine. Our only product is weapons. The economy is dead .... because we import almost everything (except tools of death). We now have a "President" that represents the poor quality of basic education the US provides and mandates, at huge expense. Neither are places I would choose to live in or raise my children if I were young enough to relocate my life. But ... I still love the UK and the USA.reply to: Christosterone

This is the problem . Too many people view their governments as mini Gods. We have been conditioned from birth to "love your country" And this is one of the main reasons governments get away with what they get away with. Its sad, but it will not change soon

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I'm proud of my country when I am in my city and my state. Lots of great amazing people.

I'm NOT proud of my country when I watch the news and see what's going on in Washington DC.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
I'm proud of my country when I am in my city and my state. Lots of great amazing people.

I'm NOT proud of my country when I watch the news and see what's going on in Washington DC.

I personally think this is how most people think globally, regardless of their own nation - lots to be proud of and lots to make you curl up in embarrassment.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

They live on a tiny island without handguns dont they? Its like a prison sentence.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Jay-morris

Poeple of england france italy etc only have the ILLUSION of freedom.

Americans actualy HAVE freedom.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join