It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you proud of your country???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I assume that would be the equivalent of me being kind to people regardless of nationality, and just because I think if we all did that then the world would be a better place?

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
My last President (who won the Nobel Peace Prize btw) dropped over 25,000 bombs around the world last year alone, and my current President is on track to top that. So no, I'm not proud of my country... not at all.

edit on 12-5-2017 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Pride and shame don't come into it if the actions of others had nothing to do with you.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: surnamename57
Being very proud of your country may be an indicator of immaturity and a tendency to view other countries from your perspective, based on the idea that your country is greater or better than others.

Unlike individuals, groups and cultures are abstract and ever changing.

There's the idea of false pride which is immature. I think someone could be proud of their country. If I were an Icelander I would be pretty proud of how my country recovered from the banking crisis:

They nationalized the banks:

en.wikipedia.org...

They put a ton of people in prison:

en.wikipedia.org...

And GDP is now back to pre-2008 crisis levels.

There are many factors (geographic, historical, demographic, social, political etc.) that contribute to this or that result. Their combination is sometimes a matter of chance. Should you be proud of things that may happen or be done out of many possible alternatives?

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

The Atom was split in The U.K. not The U.S.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Are you proud of it though?
I feel no pride because I had nothing to do with it.
I'm impressed of course and praise the people involved but I won't steal or claim any pride they may feel for their achievements.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

While I understand why people are proud of their country the problem is sometimes what if the country fall under the control of a madman like Hitler or Stalin?

Should I follow their orders to mass murder innocent people in the name of nation? That's what Hitler and many of his followers do. They butcher in the name of their nation.

By the way the Jedi Philosophy also advocate self defense and defending the weak from danger (Well as a realist only if its within your means). I believe in helping our fellow humans but at the same time we have to defend ourselves.
edit on 5/12/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: alldaylong

Are you proud of it though?
I feel no pride because I had nothing to do with it.
I'm impressed of course and praise the people involved but I won't steal or claim any pride they may feel for their achievements.

I am as proud of it as i am of Britain giving birth to The Industrial Revolution.

An event that changed the world.
edit on 12-5-2017 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Yes. Prouder of our country as we now have a President who puts American safety and happiness as his first priority.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Agreed.
I'll also add that the patch of Earth I was born on in the lottery is irrelevant to my pride or shame.
Only my personal actions and words.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

What, proud you were lucky enough to be born here than say Somalia?

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Pride and shame don't come into it if the actions of others had nothing to do with you.

But they do. I live in a democratic republic... you know... for the people, by the people, and all that.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Oh, I see.
I live in a land where accident of birth provides the head of state so it really is # all to do with me lol.
I feel no shame or pride in a socio political environment where the top job is hereditary.

*edit*
I have personal friends from many nations, we are not proud or ashamed of where we happened to be born.
We're only proud or ashamed of our own actions and words.
edit on 12.5.2017 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Absolutely. Just embarrassed and disappointed at the Temp who's representing us. And I have that right...

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Not only did I have the good fortune to be born British, but English as well. And the triple good fortune to be born in God's own county.
edit on 12-5-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
I'm glad that I am an American and that there is still a level of freedom and prosperity here, but what exactly should I be proud of? We've been going in the wrong direction for at least 40 years.

What are you talking about? Everything is going great in American. The Republican agenda is firmly intact. Every year the billionaires get richer and richer. Taxes are very low. The ACA taxes are about to be repealed. The lobbyists have force the politicians to pass laws creating cartels and monopolies. Analytics and data mining are keeping wages in check. Every year the middle class is being driven deeper and deeper into debt. There's no real competition for most corporations. Banks are too big to fail. The bank bailouts are a huge win. Corporations control every level of government. Things cannot be going any better after 40 years. Republicans have never had it so good.

What do you mean we're going in the wrong direction? Are you some kind of pro-labor liberal?

I hate ketchup, kkkuntry music and Starwars. I have been told that makes me a Communist.

edit on 12-5-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

Yep, I agree being born in Britain is more fortunate than many other geo political lines in the sand.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Been trying to rid the self of pride since the 90's to be honest. If I was to be proud about my country it would be standing up to some pretty bad countries in the mid twentieth century. No pride in it before that point, the way the "country" poured young lads into war to be mrdered by German guns........... no way and what all for? No pride in that period.

Sort of proud the way so much law around the Planet Earth originates here, that is something pretty cool a gift through our colonialism to the world. Also some great inventions from here, sure that's something to be proud of. The way the country took in Czech and German refugees from Hitler, that was great also the asians saved from African tyrants we took in a few decades ago, that is something to be proud of.

The rave culture in the late 80's and 90's is defo something to be proud of. A genuine coming together of people to the sound of the beats.

Sports wise, just two events in my lifetime. 1990 world cup Gazza's tears. Secondly and possibly the one momen or something related to pride, Michael Owens goal against Argentina 1998

That's about it. Being honest and realistic about it following my ufo experiences the whole national/country/nationalistic attitude fell away and the feeling of being part of one whole Planet Earth came into play. Everything here seems inter related following a fly by of space ships. Like Planet Earh is one great big living animal and we are all just a little bit of bacteria living on its surface, just one whole living thing that is so interconnected.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

I agree the 90's rave scene, I could have shared my bottle of water with you for all we know.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

a reply to: ufoorbhunter

I agree the 90's rave scene, I could have shared my bottle of water with you for all we know.

Haha yes it could have been your water, great time the rave scene. People pouring water over you to cool you down
Wouldn't take the hoody off whatever the temp! A wonderful period

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join