It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rise of The Offengers

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
There is no reason the federal government or even a state government should be honoring a symbol that represents a rebellion force against the federal government.

TV show concept: Two redneck Welsh (redundant) guys drive around tormenting the law with their Sunbeam Tiger that has a an American flag on the roof. I will call it The Dukes of Danger.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Those who rail against a flag and what it "represents" rail against nothing but their own thoughts, which I suppose goes into spasms at the sight and sound of disliked symbols. What they need is a padded room, not power.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

If people want to sell participation trophies doubling as giant neon "I hate everything not white!" signs, that's their business, no one else's.

If I were in the position of these business owners and selling "Resist" flags and some yahoos protested in front of my store, I'd double my inventory and set up a sidewalk sale. I'd also offer them cookies in support of their free speech.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

That's because it is not a small group of people dusgusted by the confederate flag..

I'm a white male Mississippian who is disgusted by it..

Anyone who is a history buff and has looked into civil war history would put it in the same box as the swastika..

It should be legal, but it pretty much makes you a crappy person..
edit on 12-5-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

If people want to sell participation trophies doubling as giant neon "I hate everything not white!" signs, that's their business, no one else's.

If I were in the position of these business owners and selling "Resist" flags and some yahoos protested in front of my store, I'd double my inventory and set up a sidewalk sale. I'd also offer them cookies in support of their free speech.

Very nice. Sweet, yet spicy.

link   

And then you would lose business and maybe have to shut down..

If you cater to the few , you lose the many..

Pro confederates are not the many..

link   
a reply to: Kali74

I starred you Kali.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The conversation is the important part.

Not really. It just fuels partisan hate.

link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

a reply to: JoshuaCox

Cowboy said he would still defend their rights to sell it.

You said "as would I" and the next sentence you said "but I would protest to make the flag criminal"

I mis spoke.. spell check or just my bad spelling..

I rarely proof read lol.

I meant I would protest if they tried to make it criminal.

You didn't misspeak.

knowledgehunter0986 is misquoting you:

As would I..

Or atleast would happily protest the state trying to make it criminal to own or sell... as I would do the same with the swastika..

What knowledgehunter0986 wrote:

Cowboy said he would still defend their rights to sell it.

You said "as would I" and the next sentence you said "but I would protest to make the flag criminal"

You have nothing to apologize for, JoshuaCox - knowledgehunter0986 does.

link   

Literally by definition they were traitors..

Right? This should QED the whole conversation before it begins.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Only if you bring partisan into it.

Look I just starred Kali for the first time.

We are making progress

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Greven

You're right I did read that incorrectly.

Sorry Joshua.

Reading it over again, it's hard to discern exactly what he was trying to say, seemed like he wanted to make the flag criminal.
edit on 12-5-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Only if you bring partisan into it.

Look I just starred Kali for the first time.

We are making progress

This conversation is ALL partisan. Conservatives think that protesting the display of the confederate flag is an assault on their free speech, but it isn't. Plain and simple. It's just liberals being babies or standing up for what they believe in depending on your point of view. The government isn't involved so talking about it just goes to incite partisan nerves through misunderstandings about how free speech works. I see it here on ATS all the time and I've decided to start calling it like I see it. This narrative that protesting the confederate flag is an assault on free speech needs to be shut down and shown to be the silly argument it really is.

Further more, there is the whole, "history revision" argument as well. That is even MORE ridiculous because the reason people even like the Confederate Flag usually comes down to a misunderstanding on why the South seceded in the first place. The only exception are the ACTUAL racists using the flag for its actual purpose.
edit on 12-5-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

It's not catering to anyone. It's standing up for the rights of others, including those protesting against it.

If you get a chance read the book Defending My Enemy by Aryeh Neier. He was the director of the ACLU, a Jewish refugee from Germany, and stood up for the American Nazi Party's free speech rights, which included the right to wear swastikas and Nazi uniforms, and to march through an area populated by many holocaust survivors. He stood up for them for reasons that are very important.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

I'd only sell Confederate flags as toilet paper, personally. I'm just saying if people want to sell hate, that's their business.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

It's not catering to anyone. It's standing up for the rights of others, including those protesting against it.

If you get a chance read the book Defending My Enemy by Aryeh Neier. He was the director of the ACLU, a Jewish refugee from Germany, and stood up for the American Nazi Party's free speech rights, which included the right to wear swastikas and Nazi uniforms, and to march through an area populated by many holocaust survivors. He stood up for them for reasons that are very important.

He was prob doing it to stop state regulation of such items, not to make sure every store sold swastikas....Or that no citizen ever protested a store selling them..

There is a GIGANTIC difference between private citizens protesting and the. Uisness voluntarily complying, and the government making something criminal which is inherently backed by deadly force..

It is apples and oranges...

edit on 12-5-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I'd only sell Confederate flags as toilet paper, personally. I'm just saying if people want to sell hate, that's their business.

But liberals who don't like the flag are also able to protest the store if they want. It's 100% Constitutional.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

It is an assault on free speech. Imo context shouldn't matter, hate flag or not.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

It is an assault on free speech. Imo context shouldn't matter, hate flag or not.

An assault on free speech requires state action...

There is no amendment saying that the regualr citizenry cannot protest you or your business because of what you say or do.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

How is this an assault on free speech? It's the free market in action. Only the government is prohibited from the type of action outlined in the Original Post.

Is eBay not allowing people to sell Nazi memorabilia a curtailment of free speech? You can call it mambypambyism but it is not an issue of free speech.

edit on 12-5-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join