It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laptop Ban coming to Europe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Rickymouse ,

Apparently its not the data on the lap top they are worried about. Its the ability to turn the lap top into an I.e.d. that is passable through security.

I initially had the same thought. Bring your memory stick and hit up the nearest walmart for a cheap laptop.

Which is still a feasible workaround.

I would think with all the bomb sniffing electronic gadgets they have at their disposal ,you could put it on a conveyer belt and scan it before boarding ..

I'm just glad I don't have a reason to fly,the last time I was on a plane was the mid eighties i don't think my yoyo would make it along nowadays..

They would label it a garrote.
Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
What good is checking laptops and larger electronics supposed to accomplish?

If you're smart enough and willing enough to gut a laptop and turn it into an IED, you're likely smart enough and willing enough to set it up to be detonated remotely from your cell phone, which are still allowed in the cabins.

Or is the suggestion if a laptop explodes in the cargo area of the plane it won't be a problem?

As someone who travels regularly to Eastern Europe from the west coast, this whole thing pisses me off. Numerous times my bags haven't arrived with me at my destination and numerous times my bags have been opened and searched during the route. Expect a whole lot of laptops to go missing. Hundreds of millions dollars worth of valuables get stolen every year from checked baggage. It's not a solution to just say "buy another computer and keep it in Europe".
edit on 11-5-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mike Stivic

Apparently its not the data on the lap top they are worried about. Its the ability to turn the lap top into an I.e.d. that is passable through security.

Seems overly-complex when a series of tests showed that you could just tape the bomb to your back and it would be missed in 95% of cases.

TSA security failure

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Evillerbob,

I don't disagree.. I think the whole system is wonky. I was just pointing out it is not the data they are concerned with .as well as questioning the need for a ban when they could screen laptops.. I'm am not supporting or condoning this ban at all.

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mike Stivic
Rickymouse ,

I initially had the same thought. Bring your memory stick and hit up the nearest walmart for a cheap laptop.

Which is still a feasible workaround.

I would think with all the bomb sniffing electronic gadgets they have at their disposal ,you could put it on a conveyer belt and scan it before boarding ..

I'm just glad I don't have a reason to fly,the last time I was on a plane was the mid eighties i don't think my yoyo would make it along nowadays..

They would label it a garrote.
Respectfully,
~meathead

They can seal that explosive into a laptop and it will not be able to be detected by a dog. The thing is, this is a real threat, they have found laptops that were bombs. People who fly think they have rights to carry their electronic devices, they don't. The airlines are responsible for the safety of all their passengers, they are supposed to try to identify all threats. It is not possible to identify all of them though, but if they do not try to comply they are liable.

People are going to have to learn that all this irrational behavior on their part and the crazy lawsuits will just be passed on to customers. Right now, I bet all airlines are thinking of raising their tickets a hundred bucks or more just because of a a half dozen incidents where people would not get off the plane when asked. People are nuts, any costs are passed on to the customer. When someone gets extra money to give up a seat because the flight is overbooked, that extra cost is added to everyone's ticket in a small percentage. When a flight gets turned back because someone is being disruptive, the cost is passed on to customers. Flights are canceled because of storms, the losses are tacked onto ticket prices. Since this is happening on all airlines, all rates are higher to cover these things.

People think they are sticking it to the airlines when in actuality, they are sticking it to the people flying on the airlines.

We have a serious problem with consensus of the time. If people keep harrassing the airlines they will all jump up their tickets a hundred bucks to cover the hastle, they do not have to do this together, one will raise their price and others will just follow the leader. If people do not like it, then they can drive. There is no law that says airlines have to lose a cent.

People are going to mess everything up with their inpatients and greed and chaotic attitude. Others who support the people starting the chaos will wind up with higher airfares. There will be some new ticket contracts written up within the next month or so where customers rights will be lessened. If they are refused, how are people going to get to where they are going? All airlines will be doing this. These rules are already in place, clarifying them and denying someone from flying will be outlined legally and nobody will be able to contest it shortly, to do so will make them lose their place and be put on a no fly list for possible terrorist activities.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
There are several complications with this in general. I agree, that the business traveler will take on the intrusion of inspection by TSA, but mostly because they feel the need to get the job done for their boss. They feel if they don't put themselves through it, then the competition will. And then regular American have to follow suit (pun intended).

But I hardly know a business that operates in Europe that doesn't need a tablet, at least, to conduct business today.

When I would travel to China, they instructed us to not even open a PowerPoint presentation that contained sensitive info, that China could hack. I can't imagine renting/borrowing a laptop and using a memory stick to work with sensitive IP.

The VPN sounds nice too, but again, in China, it's going through a chinese router at some point, where they can copy the entire transaction and spend the next 4 week decrypting it. Not easy, but how do you think they hacked into Lockheed Martin.

Banning Laptops coming from Europe as a means make air travel safer is going to change the economy of operating in Europe.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join