It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Middle school student suspended for 'liking' photo of gun on Instagram

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
jeez, it wasn't even a real gun.

It was an airsoft toy gun.

SMDH

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: Krakatoa

They didnt "try" to suspend the kid.

intended suspension notice

Perhaps you are the one with comprehension issues, or do you know the meaning of "intended"?

Which mean the paperwork was in progress. They didn't ask the parent to come in to consult, just THREATEN suspension. Yeah, that is appropriate for an action off campus, outside of school hours, not on school computers. If you think that is acceptable, perhaps you need to be "educated" and threatened with an IRS audit because, you know, you have an opinion.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Did the posted story say the school didnt ask the parents to come in? I missed that part.
I have no idea what "appropriate" is for that school and I am not going to look up that schools policies.
Most schools these days have social media policies, and if you dont like them dont sign them.

What a school discipline policy has to do with the irs i will never know.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: kibric

so someone at the school spends all day monitoring social media posts ?

And people think hall monitor is the important position.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Remember a time when, once you left school grounds and it was no longer school hours, school administrators had no control over you?

Where did those days go, and why is this type of behavior from school administrators being passively tolerated by parents?

link   

a reply to: kibric

that is pretty sinister
but if your children have social media accounts they need to understand the schools policies

If this is the rule, it's time to change the rules. This is bull sh!t. If it was my child I would go to the media and embarrass the hell out of the school board. I am tired of the liberal think police.

link   
Look like it time for a court to decide if public schools can limit the rights of people away from school.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

What bothers me about this entire thing, more than the suspension itself, is the fact that nowhere in the quoted statements from the school did they ever admit the gun was not even a real firearm. Notice that?

They rescinded the suspension, apologized to the parents for the disruption and gave the reason as a perceived threat that had been resolved. They cited the school policy as justification for their actions. They reassured that the "potential threat has been addressed". But not once did they say their 'potential threat" was not even a real firearm, but rather a harmless airsoft gun. They allowed it to appear that there was indeed a "potential threat" to the student body by one student, and that the object in question was indeed a "gun". The only ones quoted as saying that were the kid's parents.

This was deliberate. Ruffle a bunch of feathers with fear and hyperbole, then appear to back down...when in reality, the only thing that's likely to stick in people's minds later on will be that there was a gun involved. The fact that only the parents mentioned that it wasn't real and that wasn't backed up by quotes from anyone else is a huge red flag that something else is driving this incident.

The questions I have are, why are they still trying so hard to demonize firearms at this late date? And why the new trend of demonizing social media along with them? People posting photos of guns, selfies with guns...that is not even remotely a new practice. Neither is threatening other people with one, specifically or otherwise. So why the sudden onslaught of stories like this? There is a purpose for it. That, I firmly believe to be true.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

“Yesterday evening school officials were made aware to an alleged threat of a student bringing a gun to school. We act on any potential threat to student safety swiftly and with the utmost importance. This morning, the alleged threat was addressed and we can assure you that all students at Edgewood Middle School are safe and school will continue as normal. Thank you”

again from your story

Do you want the school NOT to act on an alleged threat of a student bringing a gun to school?

If all it takes to make a "threat" is to like a picture of a gun, i wonder how they would react to your username shooterbrody, if you where a student at that school?

But is it not only in schools there is a threat of someone bringing a gun and using it to harm people, it happens all over society

Do you want the society NOT to act on an alleged threat of a citizen shooting a gun in youre country? or should you be investigated because of youre screenname on ATS??

He liked a gun, you call yourself a shooter, kind of like the same thing, dont you think?

I understand all the fear people feel, with all these stories about shootings in the media, but the thing is, fear leads to panic, and people in panic are NOT thinking traight or using logic. I think this craziness has gotten way out of hand
I really doubt anybody including the student and you, would shoot anybody just because they like a gun on social media or call themself shooter on a forum, i would need to talk to people to get a feeling about their intentions

We dont talk or listen to each other anymore, we see some tiny detail of a person, and put them into a box based on that tiny little thing they did or said, it is just crazy, and a big reason to all the problems we have in the world in this age
IMO it is just insane
edit on 11-5-2017 by IAMNOTYOU because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This is good. Kid should like something better than violence.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   

The message is clear. Liking a gun is a threat; to the fascist, prison/school mentality the Left wants to force onto students and parents. Armed citizens don't live in fear, and cannot be so easily controlled. Hence, suspensions and other measures are taken against any student who dares to indicate that they have rights.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Always the left.
Thanks for playing.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Always the left.
Thanks for playing.

Point out a case of the Right doing this.

Waiting.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join