It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you navigate your own mind?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: LoneCloudHopper2

Yes this is and will be of great help to me. In many ways I am the same- except it wasn't the adult world that broke me, I was like this long before I became an adult a few years ago.

I feel, I feel like I am in touch with myself, sometimes, when I write. Yet when I try to take that with me, to take it off the page... Some big part of me wholly resists. So its like I'm not only failing myself, I'm failing those who count on me and my very inspiration/muse. You describe it exactly, "like being a hollow shell of a man"

It gives me great hope to know you have been where I am and have found your way through to your heart; I like especially how you highlight how your heart is expressed despite whatever conflicting feelings you have within yourself... It seems such a shameful question yet one I cannot but ask: how do you choose your heart? But I realize you said this already, you did it through years of art and meditation and strife.

I know exactly what it is to search for ones heart- maybe that's what the holy Grail is, eh? That's why I write-off I am a write-up and share even my most intensely personal stuff, so it's not just me I am visible to cus I can ignore myself all to easily as I've noticed

My words here do not accurately reflect my gratitude to you.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Exactly. But the problem is when we're stuck in it.
The past is just a story we tell ourselves. The future is a story we anticipate. Only now matters.

I know this, but ... she is in the past and I miss it all. so my now, hurts. you are exactly right though.

But how to remain here...

There are certain things that happen in life that hurts us and makes us sad. No one says we have to remain in the now, nor do we need to remain in the past. We need a balance. Sometimes we need to go through the painful memories and allow ourselves to experience it and then let it go for a while. We are more than just current moments passing. As a whole, we are our past, our present and our potential future selves.

If we find ourselves stuck, we need to try to move ahead, to push forward, to find that spark of light that will ignite and grow brighter. We can find that light from others and from within ourselves.

I try to apply this to my life...

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

Yes I do have depression and anxiety, in boatloads haha. I don't really have anyone I feel I can talk to, though, which is at least in part why I choose to expose myself on forums like this one.

I too have anxiety and depression and some people are shocked to learn that. I can't take meds for depression as they make me feel like a zombie, but I do have to take meds for anxiety as I worry like crazy and get stressed out really bad sometimes, especially when seeing Doctors and having tests and I have had tons of those!

You have followed the path to he shed so you now have people you can talk to and relate to. You also have this thread and the great people here who are being amazing and trying to help. Some may argue that it isn't the same as having friends in the so called 'real world', but we are real people and have formed real friendships. They will be here for you and help you to find your wings so you may fly. Or...you will see that you are not so all alone after all.

As for getting stuck in the diversions, again, we must try to find a balance in our lives. I say try because I know sometimes that is a difficult thing to do.

When I first started following your writings, I was drawn in and quite impressed. You seem to be a very intelligent, creative and imaginative man. I sensed your sensitivity. That was a weird sentence. LOL I sense a good man with great potential.

You just may be stronger than you know.

And from my magical Elf...

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

My question for you is, like it says in the title, How do you navigate your own mind? Is there different techniques? I read in a fantasy book once a most intriguing concept which wasn't elaborated upon, of mental geometries. Like I kid you not, I have a hard time searching my own memories at times.

Maybe THIS can be of some use to you. I use the Bible to explore and understand the fundamental anatomy of the soul. When we understand that the heart and mind are two separate compartments, designed to interact with each other, we can then begin to learn how to reprogram the soul by incepting bits of information that we choose to believe, directly into the subconscious mind.

How does it work? Well, I use breathing techniques, repetition, and prayer for memorization and identification with scripture. In a matter of weeks, I have noticed a significant change, but I also believe that its the work of the Holy Spirit using that knowledge to clean up my toxic subconscious garbage within me. Nevertheless, you can program yourself to do and think just about anything. Its all a matter of forming habits.

If you"re trying to wade your way out of insanity, I would personally recommend using the Bible, but only if you believe that Christ died for your sins. That is the fundamental key to unlocking the mysteries of the scriptures. If you don't believe it, then your subconscience will reject it. Anything you consciously refuse to embrace, your subconscience will also reject. When I was younger, I suffered from severe depression and bipolar disorder. I refused to take medication, so I turned to God, and He healed me with His Word. It was a long process, but the results are worth it. Its not like a psychological band aide. Its more like a removal and regeneration of scar tissue in the soul. That's the best I can describe it.

Whatever you choose to do, remember that you are the ultimate decision maker.
edit on 11-5-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I wasnt surprised to find you also struggle with depression and anxiety, from the sounds of it even worse than I do- and if I had been amazed by your light before, than I am even more so now, that you can act despite yourself to such a great extent. The very quality I should wish to possess. Yet it is not a possession, not something to hold, but something that is given, no?

I totally get you on the sensing part. I think that's a lot of what makes communication like this so special, though of course it's a double edged sword aNd like everything has its pros and cons: I feel like you can get more depth f communication through words, which is why friendships and connections forged through online can be so powerfully real, even without ever having met the person.

Kinda tying into what cloudhopper was talking about with the different layers and then the heart, I feel like writing makes it easier to express one's heart, if they so wish it, and if both people are so inclined they can experience magic.

I'm never not going to write but I do see how I've been using it as form of escapism, in that I've been trying to relegate all of myself into my writing, rather than the other way around. That may just be the most important thing I learn to do haha. That and learning to shift my perspectives around, and aligning myself with them

Where a lot of my depression and anxiety come from is that I, too, sense my potential and find myself blocking my own path. So as I perceive this lack between my self and my heart, i go right to criticizing myself, and my own potential is turned condemnatory​. I make an enemy out of myself many times over.

M y escape from this has been writing, which I intend as a tool, and yet I find myself at times using it to avoid actually doing things, which further condemns me when I gain clarity and don't use it.

But,
I think that is rather enough of that. I'm making my own method, today which I call connecting the dots: instead of seeing my efforts torwards progress as individual localized events and thus failures, I should rather take the time to collect myself, see my attempts as linked because they are all through the same will or effort.

Like in despondent resolve when I said I'm done with square one.

I just have to remember to stop condemning myself for failure and start focusing on my progress and seeking to emphasis that rather than cut back the darkness, because the one is the other, the former leads to the latter.

And, to start with simply practicing awareness in turning my eye to focus on the things most important to me, as the company we keep defines us what n no small part.

Such easy things and yet it's going to be a struggle to even do them. That's what gets me more than anything: a feeling that purity should be easy, that soul should flow freely, that my heart and mind should soar on wings. I let that get in between me and my resolve, too. It's like if you for some reason forgot how to breath, you know it's something so simple it should be automatic, you know it's good for you and you want to don't and yet you for your life just cannot breathe except in gasps of ink or in the breathe filling the gap between self and other...

Yet there must come a time one must stand away from the page, stand alone... I know my strength is there, I know it's willing... If course positive is always willing...

This is where I was talking about applying ones will to oneself, to get one to do the things they want to do, beyond the purely mundane or trivial.

Well I didn't say I was the storm but today I shined a more accepting light upon myself, and I did say that instead of demonizing or villifying my darkness, I loved it, I understood it was hurting me because it was hurting, and I loved it... Didn't accept it, couldn't, but loved it/me all the same. Something I had written about before but not acted upon until today.

We are more than just current moments passing. As a whole, we are our past, our present and our potential future selves. 

That is such an important truth, alongside which I would add another: a man is only ever two things: what he is and what he would like to become. The trick, the magic lies in aligning the two, and being nice to yourself in the slow meantime.

XD you're probably gonna be like :O

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

I wasnt surprised to find you also struggle with depression and anxiety, from the sounds of it even worse than I do

You were supposed to be surprised. You've been reading my shed posts haven't you? LOL

I think there is something strong inside us that pushes us forward. No matter what is going on around me, I have such love and compassion that carries me through and fills me with light for others. I see there are still amazingly wonderful people in the world and great beauty and mystery in life, in nature and animals and all that surrounds us.

and if I had been amazed by your light before, than I am even more so now, that you can act despite yourself to such a great extent. The very quality I should wish to possess. Yet it is not a possession, not something to hold, but something that is given, no?

You have it already. Nurture it. You have enchanted me with your writing, made me laugh with your humor and made me recognize that you are an intelligent, creative and wonderful man. Your light shines out.

You are not a failure. You are like any human being who is just striving to be the best that they can be. As humans we are not perfect, we fall and stumble along the way, pick ourselves up and continue forward.

That's what gets me more than anything: a feeling that purity should be easy, that soul should flow freely, that my heart and mind should soar on wings. I let that get in between me and my resolve, too.

Yes, it should be easy and flow freely. There are too many distractions in life that keep things from being easy. So we live and we learn and do the best we can. Take one day at a time and go from there.

edit on 11-5-2017 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   

I meant to say I wasn't surprised because in this world the greatest lights also face the greatest inner turmoil, to the extent I sometimes think that inner turmoil is the very fuel for the flame so to speak. But, no, I haven't been shed stalking you, should I? ;P

You are entirely correct, I would term that strong force that pushes us as inspiration, it just sucks to continually find oneself resisting it. But you answered that before I even wrote it because you are also correct, I do already have it. I despair because it's not big, and I need to nurture it. It all boils back down to that, me doing what I know I need to. No 'and yet' this time.

*Smiles shyly* y'know, with all the times I've thanked you already, I might as well just add it to my sig! Thanks a trillion!

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I don't know...you always seem to make me smile or laugh and seem like a lovely soul. You make a difference in people's lives sometimes with the smallest of things. It doesn't have to be anything big. I reach people with little things I say or do. Nothing huge and profound, but I think in its simplicity lies the profoundness sometimes, if that makes sense.

You sound grounded and wise to me in your various posts. Be yourself and keep doing what you're doing. Things will hopefully all fall into place for you.

edit on 12-5-2017 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Yeah, it makes sense. The little things matter because it shows that you think of the other person in the small moments, the 'everyday' moments not just the big ones. A friend of mine once told me that.

You sound grounded and wise to me in your various posts.

That's always good to hear, because I do wonder! I know they will, eventually. That's even my warcry. 'eventually!' I just want eventually to start now with me and there's ever only one way I can do that and that is by overcoming my negative patterns and behaviours.

Then again I have noticed lately a tendency of mind to exaggerate things to epic scale proportions when really it is something really simple, so that might be my entire problem right there. /Shrug

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I don't navigate my own mind. It tosses me back and forth and I ask Jesus to wake up and calm the storm. He says to me, "Oh, ye of little faith."

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Your war cry is 'eventually', mine is "I kill you!" Kidding! I was thinking of Jeff Dunhams puppet. That guy cracks me up!

Anyway, whatever the battle is, we battle in light, so raise your sword high!

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Well, I was sort of broken in my early childhood. It's hard to explain but I always kept my heart and an innocence I got from it, but at the same time I was badly hurt in my youth. I've been through experiences where I seemed to lose parts of myself. Sometimes I get them back, other times maybe not. But I have always been able to heal and find myself in the end.

Glad I was of help to you
Your remark about the Holy Grail is interesting, you could be onto something there!

Sounds to me like you are indeed broken inside. It gets easier when you connect to someone, whether through art or socially, as like you say you can feel obligated to be there for them, to be more yourself for them. Also, knowing someone is listening gives you a boost

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: TarzanBeta

Ach, yeah. Me too.

That reminds me of something I've been working on for sometime now but haven't been able to go much farther with it yet.
I am just a peasant, but I dream of being king.
I'm a no good lowborn fool, but I can make words ring.
I hold justice in my heart, and truth is my blade,
I burn with compassion and mercy is my way.
my armor is the light and my shield is my honour
If I walk a path of self then I am a goner.
To the people and the land go my loyalty,
I dream of hope and peace in the world. unity
I don't want a pedestal though, no freaking way
We walk this road together and that's the only way
Peace will come to live in us, forever will it reign

I was trying to stay on a 13, 13, 12, 12 repeating but when it gets to the pedestal part it's two 12s. Well. 4. Anyhoo. It goes far to explaining why I feel so torn.i just feel like what's in my heart and my mind is two different things and most times I end up choosing my mind no matter how much I identify with my heart.

In a lot of ways I'm just learning to sit with my brokenness, be okay with it and act anyways. It seems so simple and yet it seems so beyond me most times except when I breathe myself onto the page...

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

originally posted by: Nothin

originally posted by: badw0lf
...the sadness I continually feel for the things I have failed to do, failed to be, and have become in times of dire loss, wrecks me...

What can one possibly do about the past? Does anyone have the ability to affect the past?

The only sense that rings true: is right-here, right-now.

Exactly. But the problem is when we're stuck in it.
The past is just a story we tell ourselves. The future is a story we anticipate. Only now matters.

I know this, but ... she is in the past and I miss it all. so my now, hurts. you are exactly right though.

But how to remain here...

How indeed! That appears to be good intention, leading to a pertinent question. You already see part of the answer then.
You simply always are right-here, right-now, without having to exert any effort at all.
The past is a part of now, as a memory.
There are mental gymnastics that can be practiced, to "handle" these appearing thoughts of the past.
Then you choose whether to dwell on them, or not.

Have you read: "The Power of Now", by Eckhart Tolle?

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

There are mental gymnastics that can be practiced, to "handle" these appearing thoughts of the past

What you're just gonna leave it at that?? That IS what this thread is about XD

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

And from my magical Elf...

Love these quotes

You were a great blessing in my life, Night. You helped to give me so much confidence and I don't know where I would be without you. Being understood in itself can make a world of difference and you understood me to a depth I never imagined possible.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior
a reply to: Nothin
Different hats, huh? I will try this one today, I think, but I can't help but wonder: what makes them work? Also I know you were talking to wolf with your next comment, but that's just another trap I get into and he might as well: when you know you should only use the past to make sure the now never returns(regret) or to make it come back (nostalgia) and yet the mind gets stuck

The hats idea comes from the concepts of how folks with very busy lives, and multiple roles to play, can keep sane.
Like: Wearing your loving-partner hat when with your partner; awesome-dad hat when parenting; efficient-worker when working; beer-buddy hat when out with your buds; and so-on.
The idea is to keep each role you play in life, in it's own place and time.
So that you don't bring problems from work back to your home; don't bring home problems to work; and don't spend your poker-night-out, texting endlessly with your partner or kids.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   

That was just beautiful! I thought it was from a book. Keep writing my friend!

I think we all dream of hope, peace and unity in the world. We may not be able to save or change the entire world, but we can shine our love and light out into it. Like a ripple affect, it can reach to others and from them even more. There is still much you can do to make a difference in the world, we all can in our own ways.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior
a reply to: TarzanBeta

In a lot of ways I'm just learning to sit with my brokenness, be okay with it and act anyways. It seems so simple and yet it seems so beyond me most times except when I breathe myself onto the page...

I know exactly what you mean. Art always seemed me. Sometimes we need some time to relax with our pain or to comprehend the brokenness so we can begin to heal.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:31 AM
link   

We are eerily similar, it would seem. It does do a world of good just to know you are understood, as you say. Which again is a large part of what motivated this, wanting to understand and be understood. Things get messy as a result and prerequisite.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join