Greetings fellow members!
I hope this is the correct location for this discussion. If moderators feel otherwise, they may feel free to move this thread with their usual sound
judgement as to its correct placement. However, for now, here goes!
I am, as I have alluded to on several occasions, a metalhead. Although it is not mandatory, it IS customary for a metalhead to have a second skin, a
garment which is meant to be festooned in patches naming their favourite bands, badges, and other assorted stuff. As a dedicated metalhead, I am no
exception. I have had a jacket with patches on, not to mention many split back studs, for quite some time.
I have recently modified my jacket, with some spare materials I happened to have lying around, and thought it might interest some of you, to see what
I came up with.
As you can see, it is a layered, studded shoulder made of leather. What you may not necessarily see, is where the leather came from. To be honest, I
was not sure that it was going to work out too well, so I did not make photographic record of the process, which in hindsight was a little stupid.
The leather, and the shallow studs in it, came from a pair of gauntlets which I have had for an absolute age, but rarely wear. They were
uncomfortable, badly designed, bent in all the wrong places, and generally were a bloody nuisance from the get go. They were one of those purchases
which made me think ill of my younger self, who was responsible for their being purchased in the first place. The specific section of the gauntlets I
used, were the parts which covered ones fist. These were cut from the main body of the gauntlets with a craft knife, which made it possible to place
them on the jacket in various configurations, in order to ascertain the best placement.
Then I used some screw backed, crimped studs to screw the two pieces together. These studs came off several other bits of old rubbish that I had,
gathering dust in my collection. I used a hardened steel probe to pierce the fabric of my jacket, to create holes, through which yet more screw back
studs could be added, to attach the leather segments to the jacket. I had to hammer the leather and fabric in order to permit the small screws to lock
up into the threaded receivers in the studs themselves, because the uncompressed leather and fabric combination was too thick to allow this to occur,
all of which I learned by way of trial and error.
All in all, the project involved no new materials, just stuff I had laying around that I had not touched in years.
Now, this might not be everyones cup of tea, and I totally understand that. But it DOES show that in order to make an interesting change to a
garment, one does not have to have lots of new equipment, materials or even a needle and thread. Sometimes, you can just bodge it, and have it work
Let me know what you think!