It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect - A Civil Conversation Between Skeptics And Effected

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Perfectenemy

Show examples where it can't be faulty memory. So far, in the attempt, prime examples that 100% look like faulty memory are being used.

That's the crux of time altering events. I have no idea why some people are affected and some not. We can't proof something that happened in another timeline because you still have the memories of your timeline that remained unchanged. This is all rather complicated.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

I respect your skeptic position. I'm the same way (and think in the same way) but I'm aware that's not worth much.

The only thing I can say is when it affects you personally (as it has myself), there's no turning back.

Interesting take on the anger thing. I've tried to think about it as a parasite (ME) threatening the host (Reason) and the amount of fight provided equals the threat assumed. I put up a fight - until it affected me personally in a way I can't self-refute. In this case though, there's little to no fight from the ME side, other than when we're directly called out - and overkill from the 'skeptic' side in a way that's questionable.

ME and skepticism aside - you sir are a well rounded and well spoken individual. Thank you for responding to me - I wish I could give you 1000 stars (I'm grateful to say the least).

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Pearj

I just need to clarify something.
I am effected and a skeptic.

Apologies to those who I may offend but...
I think only the most autistic people would claim to have not experienced the ME phenomena at all. The people who are tricked by the Mandela Effect are by far the majority. (Even if they stubbornly refuse to use the term)

I still stick by my Mandolia Theory , but if you want to argue for ME's being any more than an interesting insight into how our brain works you cannot start with the massive mistake of assuming those who don't believe it's "real" haven't experienced it.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Then why would you even believe something when you admit ME makes no sense and faulty memory is a much better explanation?

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Everyone experiences the phenomena, I agree. One way I notice is when I am convinced a word should be spelled differently. Then sometimes the next day I look again and the real spelling is clearly the right way and I wonder why my mind kept thinking it was off.

Then there are words that my mind never recognizes the right way. Likely because I had a teacher who taught me the incorrect spelling.
edit on 10-5-2017 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Then why would you even believe something when you admit ME makes no sense and faulty memory is a much better explanation?

Because it seems to be consistent so there has to be an explanation.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

with all the ME assumptions, there is a direction offered along with the question. You are led to think what the person asking the question intends you to think.

I remember Dolly with braces

It was Bearenstein

Reba's last name was McIntyre

With all those things, you are baited into jumping on the bandwagon and your mind is suggested to think the way you were just baited with.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

They just admitted it's not consistent though. They admitted there is no instance of ME where faulty memory is not the better explanation.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Would you consider the illusion you get seeing a 3D movie a result of faulty vision?

I don't think "faulty memory" is a good explanation.
It's a quirky side effect of our amazing memories.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

It does seem consistent though. Like that example of Dolly's braces.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Would you consider the illusion you get seeing a 3D movie a result of faulty vision?

I don't think "faulty memory" is a good explanation.
It's a quirky side effect of our amazing memories.

No, it's not actually 3d though. It's a trick of the mind, same as ME.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

When taken singly. When taken as a whole, it breaks down.

Faulty memory explains everything.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Absolutely, but wouldn't that mean it's not "faulty" memory.
If anything, experiencing the Mandela Effect is a good sign your memory isn't faulty.

Just like falling for the 3D trick is a good sign your vision isn't faulty.

We're basically arguing the same point however absolute clarity is needed before the ME believers gain tax exempt status.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar
a reply to: network dude

I'm an Effected skeptic too.

I remember seeing Dolly with braces (and less boobs) on laser disk, it was the crux of the scene - it stood out.

I had to read what "Mandolia Theory" was. I'm aware of the logic but didn't know it was called that.

Please understand some of these things are not simple number recollection or mental auto correcting - they relate to things we see, use or do every day.

The question is why do some of us trust ourselves (within reason) and others don't?

I don't want to be on a bandwagon - I'm in the minority.

Sometimes I think the folks that don't trust what they know (use or see everyday) are on the bandwagon. They know they'll be fried by their piers for speaking up so they say it as gently as they can: "I remember such-and-such vividly; which only goes to show how stupid we are."

I have a hard time understanding not standing up in cases like that.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I never said i believe it but i have my own experiences that back up the ME like the changing headlines of online news articles. I just find it strange that so many people are so reluctant to consider the ME as a possible reality. People believe all sorts of things but altering timelines no that is impossible.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I bet aliens didn't expect us to notice when they rebooted our servers. They are probably LOLing their as•es off watching us fight over it.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
I had a serious Mandela effect moment last night. Full disclosure: I do believe that the root of this theory is faulty memory, but do find it an interesting theory nonetheless and like to see the examples people show. Some of them blow my mind.

That being said, let me explain my own experience last night:

There's a girl I know that was a grade below me in school. We have plenty of mutual friends and I specifically remember her name being spelled "Miranda". Why? Because I remember the first time I wrote out her name I spelled it "Maranda" and was corrected to the right spelling using an I as "Miranda" and I thought that spelling looked really weird. After high school I added her on Facebook and see her posts regularly, almost daily, and sometimes comment on them.

Last night, however, I had to do a double take on one of her posts that appeared in my news feed. Her name had changed. Now it's spelled "Maranda" and I'm just sitting there thinking 'What the actual f@#!'

I told my girlfriend about it. Now, my girlfriend isn't from around here, didn't go to school with us, and only knows her as an old friend of mine. She took one look at the name and said "It's always been spelled that way since I've known you."

Needless to say, it's very confusing and I can't explain it, and even my girlfriend can't back me up on this...

Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you.

I understand your position on faulty memory.

I wanted to tell you you're not alone - there are several people I can think of that have been directly Effected yet their spouse contradicts them (or won't touch the topic). I'm probably one of the lucky ones.

There may come a day when she's Effected on something, though you may not share the same knowledge on the same subject, at least you'll be able to remark together on the topic in general.

Your story was pretty interesting though. Can I ask why - if you know you remember Miranda's name (and even remember why you remember it the way you do, plus having seen it most days on FB) - do you land on the side of faulty memory for that instance?

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

The whole Mandolia thing was just the result of myself trying to understand the effect.
I'm yet to copyright it, also I'm sure it's wrong. But I'm confident it's less wrong than others.

You're in the minority in regards to believing that all we have learnt about physics should be disregarded because common people make common mistakes.

If you're interested in the Mandela Effect look into how the memory works. I spent hours and hours looking into how memory works purely because of Berenstein and whilst I could barely comprehend most of the medical stuff I looked at. I was able to satisfy the question for myself eventually even though I struggle to explain it to others.

Do you understand how a thought is portrayed in the brain?
When you think of the word "bumblebee" your brain will have electricity going through it along a certain path.
Eg. Bumblebee is left,right,left. and another word like Machete is right,left,right.

That's hugely simplified as I need to dumb it down to my level, but my Mandela research lead me to learn it.

What interesting tidbit have you learnt from your Mandela research?

edit on 10-5-2017 by Krahzeef_Ukhar because: editing is fun

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

That's one of my biggest questions - why do the un-Effected agonize over the topic? I've never seen anything like that.

I've had the following conversation with a non-blood relative who tended to get upset when the ME topic came up.. So I asked him:

"Why does the Mandela Effect make you angry?"

"Because in my house we believe in God!"

"I believe in God too - I'm not asking you to believe in anything, I'm asking why it makes you angry."

"I have kids and a roof over my head!"

"I understand, but how does that relate?"

"If you had bills YOU'D KNOW!!"

"I have bills, I'm just asking why it makes you angry - I don't understand what you mean about bills."

"I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT IT ANYMORE!!"

...Well needless to say, I won't ever talk to that f*#k-wit again. lol

-----

Then there's this train of logic I would assume many would follow (many do, just not when the ME's concerned)...

I don't subscribe to any Bilderberg conspiracies - so I don't ever visit those threads. It just doesn't hold interest for me - and I have no desire to get involved or refute what their saying - let alone get angry at them.

That's not true with anti-ME'ers though.. They come out of the woodwork to describe the same thing we all already know, and no amount of kindness, or repetitiveness will stop them. Which is fine, but it gets in the way of normal conversation with those who are invested.

It's literally one of the strangest, most curious things I've seen. Goes against what could be called standard human behavior and is suspicious to say the least.

It's mind boggling why anyone would get so trollish about something they've already "solved" in their minds, and have no vested interest in. Surely they know their repeating themselves to folks that have already hear it and therefore aren't listening. It's like their frustrating themselves somehow.

I know it's crazy - but sometimes I wonder if they're paid - and are just doing their job.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
If ppl are going to discuss this in writing then they should be sure of the difference between the word effect and affect , and take care to get the right meaning .
I've read both sides and considered , but leaning towards the skeptical side .
Being fair there is likely some explanation beyond faulty memory , gave rise to 2 ideas

1 . Some kind of undiagnosable and as yet unrecognised but existent condition related to dyslexia . People with this used to get sidelined at school , put in the dunce class or even beaten for being contrary , before the condition became commonly understood .
You see something in the world but then it's not the same as others see , who would have thought something as clear as written text could be misread and miswritten etc but it happens , maybe here on larger scales called mandela effect , for the time being until further understood .

2. Delusional disorder , where a person continues to hold a belief or beliefs despite being shown clear evidence to the contrary , and looks for alternative explanations as reasons to continue holding such a belief as fact . It should not be discounted that others in positions to discern said facts or said disorder can themselves be deluded about what constitutes 'clear evidence' . A disorder occurs where persistence of a deluded state is present .

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join