It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WV Journalist arrested, charged after asking HHS Secretary Tom Price a question

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
www.nbcnews.com...

"This was not about someone asking questions, it was about physical actions. Other reporters there asked questions without taking physical action ... [Heyman] crossed a line," said Capitol Police spokesman Lawrence Messina.

Also of note, the "witnesses" quoted in the story as corroborating Heyman's assessment that he was unlawfully arrested and was "just doing his job" were all there in the capacity of protesting Price and the AHCA. Their "eyewitness reports" are therefore suspect at best, especially since we have all seen these types of protestors bald faced lie while their cohorts swear to it.

Finally, using this piece as incriminating:

"Dan was consistent at the level other people were speaking at," Woody said. "It didn't sound like he was being aggressive... I'm just really disturbed that a reporter's First Amendment rights were curtailed when he was just trying to do his job."

it actually corroborates Messina's statement above (albeit unintentionally) that others were there asking questions and weren't arrested. Obviously Heyman did more than just ask questions and play reporter.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
www.google.com... e-kellyanne-conway-aclu/amp/" target="_blank" class="postlink">Link

Text“The individual repeatedly tried to push his way past secret service agents who were providing for the safety and security for an event at the state capitol,” Messina said. “There were other reporters present who asked questions without incident.”

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

People need to realize reporters have limits on what they can do in public places with politicians and public officials, especially those protected by the Secret Service."You can't cross Secret Service lines because you want to ask a question and then claim a First Amendment right to break through their security.Reading the arrest report he was warned several times.I think he thought he was to important to listen to the capitol police in west virginia hes a washington reporter after all.
edit on 5/10/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

As usual, we have a situation of he said versus he said.

While other reporters might had stood idly, it was his persistence that seems to have gotten him arrested, which is why it's so concerning.

If he were truly trying to breach through security detail, why is the only charge "willful disruption of governmental processes" and nothing else?

Virginia Statute

It still sounds like a BS charge because of his persistence.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Apparently the point at issue was the manner of the questioning.
If there was physical harassment, that is usually a legal offence even in a public place.

The manner of questioning apparently was the volume and the tactic of not relenting the questioning, neither of which are against the law to my knowledge.

If there was physical harassment, that would be noted by a charge of some kind other than "disruption of government process."

It's a BS charge, seemingly because he was annoying Price by his lawful persistence.

when security tells you to back of you back off. I fyou need a comment make a official appointment like a normal human being.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

"I'm a journalist" doesn't give one license to be a jackass. There is zero magic in journalism, particularly in this era of every blogger, youtuber, and tweeter considering themselves "journalists." In many ways it has become little more than a sheltered soapbox for corporate stooges and political hacks.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

No, it doesn't give one the right to be a jackass, but being a persistent jackass is not exactly against the law.

There is a difference between a blogger/youtuber/etc *calling* oneself a journalist, and being an actual credentialed journalist. We saw similar things happen to journalists in Ferguson and elsewhere. Perhaps I'm biased due to my degree/profession, but I have a great deal of respect for journalists in general.

edit on 11-5-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I fyou need a comment make a official appointment like a normal human being.

It doesn't quite work like that.

Public official in the course of one's public duties on public grounds. One has the right to ask questions, and the right to persist.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join