It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to Arm Syrian Kurds, Even as Turkey Strongly Objects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   
New York Times

A point of praise from me to the administrations handling of DAESH. A coalition of Leftist Kurds, Arabic resistance fighters and Assyrian Christians will receive military equipment from the US in order to fight DAESH.

WASHINGTON — President Trump has approved a plan to arm Syrian Kurds so they can participate in the battle to retake Raqqa from the Islamic State, a strategy that has drawn deep opposition from Turkey, a NATO ally.

Screw Dictator Erdogan. Y.P.G has been fighting against DAESH for years, not playing politics... just fighting.If Y.P.G is able to take Raqqa from DAESH, Trump will have his actual first win.

We've armed a lot of the wrong people in attempts to rid a nation of a leader, I think this time, this is the right group to arm and it's temporary, only to secure Raqqa.

After the battle is over, an effort will be made to retrieve any excess equipment. American advisers will also monitor the weapons that are provided to the Kurds and will cut off the supply if they discover that they are being smuggled for use elsewhere or misused, United States officials said.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Because arming moderate rebels previously has had absolutely zero negative reprecussions.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

We agree.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
Because arming moderate rebels previously has had absolutely zero negative reprecussions.

It never happened. They armed rebels who want Islamic states. Kurds are secular.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

I understand you feeling that way, I normally disagree with arming rebels since that's how we got DAESH, I think the points I made in my OP are worth opening our minds to.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
this is the right group to arm and it's temporary, only to secure Raqqa.

Maybe you're right, but I've heard this song before.

and temporary? what? the arms? I doubt they are gonna give it back once its all said and done. Nature abhors a vacuum. who will take lead once the old guard is out?

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

IIRC Kurds have always placed being Kurdish above being a Muslim. They are the best group I can think of in a sea of terrible choices.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Couldn't agree more Kali. S&F
Kurdish WOMEN on the front lines againsy DAESH.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Here, Here!!

This was the real story yesterday. For anyone paying attention, we finally started after the bad guys instead of nation building.

I sincerely hope the have an exit strategy as well.
edit on 10-5-2017 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Kurds are who we should have armed years ago... they are not a bad choice to back in the ME mudpit.

The kurds have been doing an amazing job with antique russian weapons against the modern stuff we dropped in... just put them on even footing with Daesh and watch them work.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Curious as to why this thread is not getting more traction.

Not to mention it happens on the same day as Comeys firing. No coincidences especially in gov't!

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Here, Here!!

This was the real story yesterday. For anyone paying attention, we finally started after the bad guys instead of nation building.

I sincerely hope the have an exit strategy as well.

I really hope your right. I want this to be true.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The most important faction fighting ISIS is not the YPG, is the Syrian Arab Army. Anything else that the EU supports will lead to complete disaster and backfire.

top topics

join