It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bug Chasers (Warning Graphic Language)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
There is a new Internet Underground springing up in which men deliberately seek out others with the AIDS virus to be infected by them. It is a "Brotherhood" of the "Gift Givers" and the "Knocked Up" where the virus is not feared but thought of as erotic and sexy. These Men are called the "Bug Chasers".

original news source:

www.rollingstone.com
Carlos nonchalantly asks whether his drink was made with whole or skim milk. He takes a moment to slurp on his grande Caffe Mocha in a crowded Starbucks, and then he gets back to explaining how much he wants HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. His eyes light up as he says that the actual moment of transmission, the instant he gets HIV, will be "the most erotic thing I can imagine." He seems like a typical thirty-two-year-old man, but, in fact, he has a secret life. Carlos is chasing the bug.

Carlos is part of an intricate underground world that has sprouted, driven almost completely by the Internet, in which men who want to be infected with HIV get together with those who are willing to infect them. The men who want the virus are called "bug chasers," and the men who freely give the virus to them are called "gift givers." While the rest of the world fights the AIDS epidemic and most people fear HIV infection, this subculture celebrates the virus and eroticizes it. HIV-infected semen is treated like liquid gold. Carlos has been chasing the bug for more than a year in a topsy-turvy world in which every convention about HIV is turned upside down. The virus isn't horrible and fearsome, it's beautiful and sexy -- and delivered in the way that is most likely to result in infection. In this world, the men with HIV are the most desired, and the bug chasers will do anything to get the virus -- to "get knocked up," to be "bred" or "initiated into the brotherhood."

www.rollingstone.com...

I wonder how wide spread this is and how much it is costing us to keep these people alive? I wonder how many innocent people they have infected? I dont think Tax payers be forced to pay to keep these people alive.

[edit on 3-2-2005 by Amuk]

[edit on 3-2-2005 by Amuk]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
That's pretty screwed up.

In Northbrook, IL, someone with aids came into a Jewel and bit a clerk for not giving her something free, but I can't imagine actually seeking out such a painful way to die.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I have heard of this before and all I can say is that there are just some things in this world that I will never understand.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Well I guess that proves that some people truly are just outright stupid beyond belief. Actively seeking out terminal illness has to be about the most moronic thing I've heard of yet. Heres a novel approach to stemming this obvious mental issue; classify intentional contraction of HIV as attempted suicide. Lock the nutters up, pick their brains, and figure out what broke along the way that sent them on the most backward path to self destruction ever concieved of by a person.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
Well I guess that proves that some people truly are just outright stupid beyond belief. Actively seeking out terminal illness has to be about the most moronic thing I've heard of yet.

But couldnt the same thing be said about smoking? Is their anyone out there that DOESNT know smoking will kill you?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
But couldnt the same thing be said about smoking? Is their anyone out there that DOESNT know smoking will kill you?

Heh, smoking CAN kill you. There is a lot higher likelihood of death by HIV turned AIDS than there is with smoking turned lung cancer.

But yea, I think these Butt, err Bug-Chasers, are essentially looking die from sexual permiscuity of all things.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Amuk > Not necessarily, you can quit smoking, and not everyone who smokes dies of lung cancer or related diseases. Once your infected with HIV, you are assured to die. With smoking its not like it requires effort, every store carries cigarettes, but tracking down those infected with HIV shows active desire for the disease. But since you mentioned the simliarity I'll run with it, known bug chasers should get stuck with the same style of high insurance costs as smokers do, since we want to be fair to everyone.

I can't help but wonder what causes a person to get turned on by what ammounts to a death sentence. I can undersand the whole erotic element to some of the more kinkeir practices such as knives, S&M, domination and other things, but it just seems to be odd to get turned on to the idea of dying.

[edit on 3-2-2005 by alternateheaven]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Man there are some very, very sick homos out there. Why would anyone with a rational mind want to die this way?. My little brother caught the virus through a blood transfusion in '82 before they started screening for it. I saw him dying every day for 2 yrs. The day he died, his WHOLE BODY was one hugh scab.. You could thump him on the arm and it actually sounded hollow. He asked me to take him out if you know what I mean. I could not do it as much as I knew he wanted it. He asked my mom and she agreed. She adjusted his Morph.IV and he went out with no pain and it was quick. I would be willing to bet if any of these people who actually want to get infected go to their local hospital and ask to see some of the Aids patients. Take time and talk with them and ask what they have been going through with it and then see if they still want to be infected.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Here's another thread dealing with it, as well.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Smoking keeps you buzzed for decades. You can only catch HIV once.

My only hope is people as inconsiderate (as to help spread a disease that is threatening the people of an entire CONTINENT) will end up killing themselves off before they do too much damage.

Evolution in action, I suppose.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Sounds bogus in all honesty. I find it hard to beleive that anyone with the disease is actually going to spread it, not without beign a real, hardcore sadist.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I say "good for them!" let em kill each other off... pure brilliance there. Ive made references in past post to homosexuality as being a disease ridden life-styled and Im called a racist pig....maybe this can bolster my cause.

I say let em all give each other aids. its exactly what they deserve. God, I wish this world would stop thinking with its d-ck. This is what it leads to. God bless em, have at it boys....

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
Well I guess that proves that some people truly are just outright stupid beyond belief. Actively seeking out terminal illness has to be about the most moronic thing I've heard of yet.

Not entirely true. If I'm correct here, we are pre-disposed for cancer. Either we get it or we dont. Smoking may hasten it, but red meat hastens heart disease as well. Ive got a 87 year grandmother who still smokes 2 or 3 cigs a day (shes cut back, doesnt want it to kill her young) and drinks 2 beers a day. She couldnt be healthier(for an 87yr old)... Any rate, willing giving themselves AIDS...I'd expect nothing less from such a brilliant group of people.....

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Sounds bogus in all honesty. I find it hard to beleive that anyone with the disease is actually going to spread it, not without beign a real, hardcore sadist.

I agree. I think it fits nicely into the category of 'I got drunk one night and woke up in a bathtub of ice with no kidney.' Even if these people were sadist, I still find it hard to believe. That's like a person in a snuff film wanting to be murdered.

[edit on 2/3/2005 by Simulacra]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Sounds bogus in all honesty.

If you read the story it will tell you the website to go to if you want to find these people. I found it hard to believe too but after reading the article I believe its legit

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra

I agree. I think it fits nicely into the category of 'I got drunk one night and woke up in a bathtub of ice with no kidney.' Even if these people were sadist, I still find it hard to believe. That's like a person in a snuff film wanting to be murdered.

[edit on 2/3/2005 by Simulacra]

I hoped it was myth myself, but then I thought guys having sex with each other was as well. Alot of gay men suffer from low self esteem to begin with. They probably realize in their mid-30s what a mess their life has become. Outrageous debt, a lack of a "real" relationship, the reality that they cant be a waiter forever, etc. Once that reality sets in, the gutless weak ones who cant shoot themselves opt for this means of "suicide". Just another means to gain attention and sympathy of the masses. Pathetic...

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
They probably realize in their mid-30s what a mess their life has become. Outrageous debt, a lack of a "real" relationship, the reality that they cant be a waiter forever, etc. Once that reality sets in, the gutless weak ones who cant shoot themselves opt for this means of "suicide".

This should come as quite the suprise to the MANY sucessful Gays I know in real life. Do you really know any of them or just repete what you hear from Jerry Falwell?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
They probably realize in their mid-30s what a mess their life has become. Outrageous debt, a lack of a "real" relationship, the reality that they cant be a waiter forever, etc. Once that reality sets in, the gutless weak ones who cant shoot themselves opt for this means of "suicide".

This should come as quite the suprise to the MANY sucessful Gays I know in real life. Do you really know any of them or just repete what you hear from Jerry Falwell?

Oh no, I am rather familiar with them. I spent around 10 years in the restaurant industry(no, not Mcdonalds, but high end italian). The business is flooded with gays. This isnt an opinion, its fact. And inevitibly, I know Im going hear about "this guy I know",thats fine. Now let me tell you about the ones I know...

They want to give off the pesona of being wealthy and well cultured, most are neither. They ring up huge credit card debt buying expensive clothes and other wastefull material items. They are, by far the most superficial people Ive ever come across. Amazingly, Ive never had so much as a small confrontation with any either. I dont hate them. I hate their life-style. I just keep my shut at work..

As far as Jerry Falwell....LOL...I'm hardly what you would call religous. I do have MORALS, however...Out of the 10 years I spent in the business, 2 of them killed themselves...1 because "everything is wrong" according to his note, the other, noones sure..anyrate...

Yes, there are successfull gays in society. Not all gays are trying to contract AIDS. But to the ones who are? Have at it, boys.....Better place with out em..

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
very interesting story amuk.

...I am saddened that our world offers these people no other way to find whatever it is they need. ...purpose? an identity? a way to be part of the larger community? ...a future worth living for?

...posted this first at your other thread...

[edit on 3-2-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
very interesting story amuk.

...I am saddened that our world offers these people no other way to find whatever it is they need. ...purpose? an identity? a way to be part of the larger community? ...a future worth living for?

...posted this first at your other thread...

I disagree. Society DOES offer them all that and then some. They choose not to participate, instead they choose to do things "their way". Its working out well for them...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join