It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold, Silver, Platinum, and Rainbow Rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   

• Nearly everyone knows the Golden Rule:

"Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Critics of this rule argue that the Golden Rule is an egotistically self-centered rule. Each of us have different likes, wants, desires, and hopes, therefore, to treat others as "we" want to be treated is neglecting the wishes of others in favor of our own.

• Fewer are familiar with the Silver Rule:

"Do not treat others the way you would not want to be treated".

Because pain and suffering are nearly universal, this rule seeks to extinguish negativity while avoiding the self-imposed wishes of the Golden Rule. Critics of this rule argue that the Silver Rule is lacking in substance, because it promotes a strategy of renouncing negativity while failing to provide an ethical manner of active conduct.

• Even more obscure is the Platinum Rule:

"Treat others as they would treat themselves."

This rule seeks empathetic understanding. In order to treat others as they would treat themselves, one must take the time to sincerely understand how another wishes to be treated. Critics of this rule argue that it is daunting and nearly impossible to perfectly understand the differing views and wishes of so many individuals. Further arguments detail that the Platinum Rule is disproportionately subjective to the point that it neglects reality, truth, and virtuous conduct in favor of the potential evils, delusions, and detriment of ill-minded individuals.

• I propose the Rainbow Rule:

"Acknowledge the Life, Spirit, Self, and God within others."

When we acknowledge the Life, Spirit, Self, and God within others, we go beyond the Golden, Silver, and Platinum Rules by extending honor and respect toward others,... we interact with others in love and humility,... forgiveness, acceptance, compassion, kindness, caring, sharing, and helping becomes our code of ethics,... and altruism becomes our common culture.

edit on 5/10/17 by Sahabi because: One Love. One Heart. Let's get together and feel alright.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   
What rule does reap what you sow come under?

What you do unto others will be done unto you...

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Kind of why Jesus frowned at the Pharisee's and their legalism.

It's a simple concept really, quite simple. In the simplest of all possible terms ....... don't be an igmo-toad-contrarian-jerk.

Treat people with kindness, deserved or not, be kind and treat others as you would wish they treat you. If you wish to convolute this...... well then, it's on you. and leading towards falsehoods and fabrication...... no?

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

"Reap what you sow," would fall under the Rainbow Rule, because viewing Life, Spirit, Self, and/or God within all others is an affirmation of wholeness and unity.

What you do unto others,.... you are doing to Self.
What you do unto others,... you are doing to God.

All is One, therefore, all reaping, sowing, doing, and not-doing is directed at the oneness.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

no?

No. Thank you

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Sahabi

"Reap what you sow," would fall under the Rainbow Rule, because viewing Life, Spirit, Self, and/or God within all others is an affirmation of wholeness and unity.

Nice sounding... Imo, what goes around comes around. IOW Karma, Judgement, Justice, etc.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   

• Nearly everyone knows the Golden Rule:

"Treat others the way you want to be treated."

Critics of this rule argue that the Golden Rule is an egotistically self-centered rule. Each of us have different likes, wants, desires, and hopes, therefore, to treat others as "we" want to be treated is neglecting the wishes of others in favor of our own.

More rightly, however you treat others will be how people treat you back. Its a warning...

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   

treat others as you would wish they treat you.

I like to receive hugs, so accordingly, I hug my friends.

It just so happens that some of my friends do not like to be hugged. Therefore, to treat them with a hug as I wish to be hugged would be going against their wishes.

Treating others as we wish them to treat us may actually go against their wants and free will.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
A few Biblical sayings that supports the Rainbow Rule of viewing Life, Spirit, Self, and God within others:

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own"
- 1 Corinthians 6:19

"Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?"
- The Gospel According to John 10:34

"The coming of the kingdom of God is not something that can be observed, nor will people say, ‘Here it is,’ or ‘There it is,’ because the kingdom of God is within you"
- Luke 17:20-21

edit on 5/10/17 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sahabi

treat others as you would wish they treat you.

I like to receive hugs, so accordingly, I hug my friends.

It just so happens that some of my friends do not like to be hugged. Therefore, to treat them with a hug as I wish to be hugged would be going against their wishes.

Treating others as we wish them to treat us may actually go against their wants and free will.

Well then, you have fulfilled your obligation, and in earnest good faith, acted accordingly.
Their behavior is independent of your actions.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Nice thread, however

Platinum Rule:
"Treat others as they would treat themselves."

Do we assist someone who wishes to commit suicide, the ethical dilemma?

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

No, because with the Rainbow Rule, we would not wish to kill Self or God. Instead of helping to assist with their suicide, we can help them in other ways. If they wish to take their own life; that is their choice.

Tricky dilemma, as some believe death to be a cure and reprieve from their suffering.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

thank you

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Treat people how you find them is the best rule to follow, after all it's nice to be nice.

As to the golden rule, where I hail for the golden rule is always guard your tool.
edit on 10-5-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

join