It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POF scam

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Hello everyone!

I don't make many threads but I felt the need to make this one. Being a 25 year old, i don't have time for the bar scene. Anyway, I was in plenty of fish, just scouring the scene. I get a message from an attractive, young African American woman. I'm not a bad looking guy so I didn't think much of it. Her profile says that she's 19. I'm like okay cool. We chatted a little bit, mainly pleasantries. Then she asks if I wanted to text. I'm perfectly okay with that. I typically used a texting app for people on that site so nobody gets my real number. I ask for her number and I get a weird response, an emoji and her saying mine first. Whatever. We started texting (another odd point is that her area code was from South Carolina) and she starts sending pictures( not nudes). Of course I say I like them. We chat a bit more and then bam she says something along the lines of I'm really 17 but I'll be 18 on the 18th of April. That was 3 days away. So I didn't immediately end the conversation there. We chatted a bit more, she asked if I was into black girls and I said it's on my bucket list. Then there was an awkward pause in the conversation. I sent a text and asked what she was up to. What happened next completely messed me up( and still does, one month later).

I have something like 3 missed calls from this number and a long message. It says something along the lines of this is Mr. Davis, the girl's father, I have been monitoring this conversation. I spoke to my lawyer and he said there is enough here to prosecute you for solicitation of a minor and lewd conduct with a minor. My wife wants to prosecute you but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. You need to call me now. I text back and ask how I solicited anything and he says you did, you need to call me. I'm freaking out, shaking in fear. So he calls again and I answer. He starts telling me how things aren't good for me. He spoke to his lawyer (mind you this is a Saturday and there was only a 2 hour layoff in the conversation). He said either I make things right or I will have a warrant out for my arrest. I said I will not contact this number again. He says that's not good enough. More needs to be done. I tell him that I did not do what he says I did and he just keeps telling me it's federal law and I did something wrong. I hung up the phone and went into some researching.

I found that this is something that is happening to many men on these sites. The vast majority of these scammers have phone numbers stationed in South Carolina(483 area code). I found websites with experts who heard my story and said it's all of this elaborate scam! There are actually people who have committed suicide over this (I can't say I haven't thought about it during the past month).

I made this topic so others can be informed about it. It's nearly been a month since all of this happened and I struggle with the fear that this scammer brought me.

EDIT: Apparently, others are actually getting to the point where they give these scumbags money. My phone call only lasted 3 minutes and I kept arguing with the scammer. Some men have given 1-2k

edit on 9-5-2017 by LaWnOrDeR92 because: Information added

edit on 9-5-2017 by LaWnOrDeR92 because: Info

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LaWnOrDeR92

Yeah. Lesson learned I hope?

Best way to tell if it's a scammer--when someone actually replies to you or messages you

Better fishing next time!

edit on 9-5-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   

So glad they didn't have these devices when I was a young man.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Never using the site again.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: LaWnOrDeR92

Never using the site again.

For me, it was when I started seeing peoples' locations change from like Dubai to within 20 miles of my location.

It's all scams dude. And when it's not a scam, the people are batguano insane. Just avoid the online sheet.

You're 100 times safer going to karaoke night in a seedy bar and practicing your moves there.

edit on 9-5-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Hello everyone!

she asked if I was into black girls and I said it's on my bucket list. Then there was an awkward pause in the conversation. I sent a text and asked what she was up to. What happened next completely messed me up( and still does, one month later).

That and the fact you admit going after a 17 year old, tsk, tsk. What was you even thinking?
edit on 5 9 2017 by Naturallywired because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
tell the person on the call to piss off

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Naturallywired

Oh come on.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, according to the thread.

Screw the "father", how much $$$ do they want.

When you are 45 you will look back at this and laugh. Take it easy and stop worrying so much.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

a reply to: Naturallywired

Oh come on.
Hey

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

When you are 45 you will look back at this and laugh. Take it easy and stop worrying so much.
But if age 45 it's creepy huh?

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I didn't do anything wrong. According to some websites that specialize in scams said it was for sure the same scam.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I didn't do anything wrong. According to some websites that specialize in scams said it was for sure the same scam. Also, I didn't let him get that far. He kept saying are we going to sit down and talk about how you're going to fix this or not?

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I didn't do anything wrong. According to some websites that specialize in scams said it was for sure the same scam.

Anytime a person tries to extort money from you, it's a scam.

Tell them to have their lawyer serve you with papers.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

It's all scams dude.

Idk... i've hooked quite a few from that site...

nothing solid but for online dating its pretty much the best out there

just gotta be careful who you talk to...

Online is always fishy...

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

It's all scams dude.

Idk... i've hooked quite a few from that site...

nothing solid but for online dating its pretty much the best out there

just gotta be careful who you talk to...

Online is always fishy...

I wrote a sentence after that one

And when it's not a scam, the people are batguano insane.

My 2 statements are 100% true.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

In the past, I've hooked up w 4 girls from that site. Alllllllllll bat# cray. Stay away.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: PRSpinster

In the past, I've hooked up w 4 girls from that site. Alllllllllll bat# cray. Stay away.

See?! Told ya!

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Tell him to suck a # and to call the =ING cops

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Naturallywired

originally posted by: seasonal

But if age 45 it's creepy huh?

What?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join