It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Kids Are Protesting The Community For Trying To Remove Police Force

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

First and foremost, a government's concern should be to protect its residents. I have to assume that using a statewide sheriff is going to mean less actual police coverage. A police force and fire department are the minimum that should be provided, IMHO. I wonder what wonderful staffing is being done in other areas of the town.

I bet this is a pissing contest between the mayor and police chief over something purely political. Once again, it will be the citizens who take it in the neck.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

Pretty close guess..

The mayor's wife was busted tampering with the competitions yard signs, the police caught her, did their job and now he is replacing them.

He should be replaced, for abuse of power imo

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Local police can sometimes be better than strangers from another area.

I do know, and have posted about, the corruption that can occur on a small town police force. I saw that personally on a local police force in a town neighboring ours.

That said, our own small town police town police force was actually pretty cool.
They got to know the kids. When the kids got into trouble, they were more likely to get dragged home to their parents to deal with than to be prosecuted.
The local police actually seemed to care.
They would walk and bike the streets on Trick or Treat night to keep the kids safe.
They park at the school bus stops in the morning to keep the kids safe.
If they pulled over a local for a minor traffic violation, they were more likely to give a warning, if it was not habitual.

Two opposite police forces in two neighboring towns - severely opposite.
Maybe the town in the OP has one of the good ones.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I fixed it princess... just for you

Just for him? Really? Not because it's the right thing to do???

How sad. Now I'm wondering if you knew all along and deliberately lied by omission... or if you only read a headline and proceeded to believe what you wanted, then presented it as fact. I don't know which is worse. Hmmm....

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Princess is just as equal of a name as you calling me "buddy"

It's fully up to you if you take it as an insult or not. I wrote the OP from what the Facebook headline was at the time then I changed it when I actually read the Fox News article. So if you want to blame someone for being biased blame Facebook.

Since you're trying to play with passive-aggressive insults I suggest you look at yourself about your maturity.

Peace.

edit on 9-5-2017 by TheLotLizard because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

I fixed it princess... just for you

Just for him? Really? Not because it's the right thing to do???

How sad. Now I'm wondering if you knew all along and deliberately lied by omission... or if you only read a headline and proceeded to believe what you wanted, then presented it as fact. I don't know which is worse. Hmmm....

How sad was it that it originally came from a "cop bashing" page that said it first? But wonder alll you want.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
So they should. This decision to fire all their police officers and pay some other place to do it for them to save money is pretty damn stupid in my eyes.

One of the foremost priorities of the state is to ensure the safety of it's citizens from outlaws and criminals. Can't do that without an effective police force.

The Mayor should probably resign.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I read the comments to this story and the whole issue really cracks me up. Per wikipedia, its a town of about 18,000 people located 27 miles north of St. Paul Minn., which should be plenty north of St. Paul's crime problems. Per wikipedia, the town demographic make up:

was 94.7% White, 1.1% African American, 0.4% Native American, 1.5% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.6% from other races, and 1.7% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.3% of the population.

The discussion about going to contract services might be best summed up by this cool article from their local newspaper:
forestlaketimes.com...

You'll note............there's no discussion of "crime" as being a major concern. The main concern seems to be loss of local control. However, when I looked up crime stats for the town, I was rather surprised. See:
www.areavibes.com...

A comprehensive overview of any and all yearly reported crimes in Forest Lake, MN is shown in the table above. In order to provide more clarity, the total number of crimes is shown as well as the amount of crimes committed per 100,000 people. The crimes indicated in the table are separated into two different categories. These categories are property crimes and violent crimes. According to the table, the overall crime rate is 13% higher than the average of crimes committed in Minnesota. It is also 2% lower than the national average. When it comes to violent crimes, Forest Lake, MN shows a crime rate that is 8% lower than the Minnesota average. The crime rate is also 40% lower than the national average. When it comes to property crimes, Forest Lake, MN is shown to be 15% higher than the Minnesota average and 3% higher than the national average.

So, yea..........somethings going on. If I were to make a guess, I'd suspect from the fact its obviously a bed room community for Minneapolis/St. Paul metroplex that the crime rate is a product of drug trade combined of course with the attendant burglaries and car break-ins.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

How sad was it that it originally came from a "cop bashing" page that said it first? But wonder alll you want.

I guess I'm gonna have to... since you just deflected onto someone else, instead of addressing your own intentions!!! But okay. The end results are the same.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Whatever makes you feel better about it, buddy.

Oh, and there was nothing passive-aggressive about what I said. I said what I said, and if you're confused and think it's passive-aggressive, that's on you. Seems pretty blunt to me.
edit on 9-5-2017 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Kids are the most useful of all idiots. They are easy to get riled and pointed in a direction (remember Kony2012?) as they all follow herd/meme culture. And once you get them involved, the issue becomes "for the children".

FWIW, the sheriff's office is elected. The police department is not. I know which one i'd prefer.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join