It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Kids Are Protesting The Community For Trying To Remove Police Force

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Link to Facebook

Fox 9

FOREST LAKE, Minn. (KMSP) - Students at Forest Lake High School are holding a walkout Tuesday afternoon to protest the city council’s vote Monday night to disband the Forest Lake Police Department and contract policing services from the Washington County Sheriff's Office.

A local city council wants to disband local police and hire in local sheriffs. So the brainwashed children are now protesting to keep the police force. I doubt these kids even know what they are even protesting for.
edit on 9-5-2017 by TheLotLizard because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Removed. Thanks Lizard

edit on E31America/ChicagoTue, 09 May 2017 13:40:17 -05005pmTuesdayth01pm by EternalShadow because: info request resolved

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
What did the cops do?
I'm in the dark on this one.
It seems like it would be the other way around.. since when do kids stick up for cops?

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Fact is, even as someone who dislikes the police (or the bad apples therein)...

A lawless society isn't ideal for anybody.
Unless you're a rapist of course.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
I guess there's this massive presumption that EVERYONE on the planet has Facebook.

For those of us who don't, could you put a little more meat on the bone or give an alternative source?

Thanks.

Fixed op to include link and quote

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o
What did the cops do?
I'm in the dark on this one.
It seems like it would be the other way around.. since when do kids stick up for cops?

Exactly. These kids are "brainwashed" for wanting law and order???

edit on E31America/ChicagoTue, 09 May 2017 13:37:19 -05005pmTuesdayth01pm by EternalShadow because: a correction

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

It's not a lawless society. They're bringing in sheriffs to replace them for less cost.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

It's not a lawless society. They're bringing in sheriffs to replace them for less cost.

Apparently many of the adults don't like the decision either.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Sheriffs can't be corrupt(ed)?

This seems pointless to me.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

That's probably why those kids are protesting. Their parents told them to for the effect.

link   

The community gets fed up with the police and try to do something about it, they want to disband local police and hire in local sheriffs.

Careful buddy, your bias is showing.

The community voted, in a 2-2 vote by the town council which was broken by the mayor, to contract law enforcement duties with another agency to save money. Not because they were fed up, but to save money.

Two positions will be added by the county in the area, rather than eliminating the 25 positions already in place.

Oh, and the community is pissed off about the decision.

Hundreds of residents packed City Hall for the vote on Monday night. At multiple meetings, people have given hours worth of public comment, voicing their support to keep their local officers. Forest Lake residents responded to the decision with boos, tears, and devastation.

Good try though. You must be dizzy from all that spin.

link   
Seeing that they would save half a million dollars a year I think that's a risk worth taking.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

That's probably why those kids are protesting. Their parents told them to for the effect.

Most of the time you get what you pay for. I don't live here, so I can't tell you who is right.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

If you read 2 posts above yours you would see that I said the same exact thing. No bias.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Sheriffs can't be corrupt(ed)?

This seems pointless to me.

Of course they can, but as it pertains to constitutional law, sheriff's are empowered with more than people care to research for their own benefit.

Example, you go down to the county clerks office and try to record something. The clerk refuses. You can call the sheriff to come down there and arrest that clerk for denial of due process. Try and find a local cop who would even bother.

ETA: If they lose their local policing for county policing, they lose the ability to have local issues resolved by community oriented policing.

They will actually have more problems because county sheriff's don't want to patrol city streets and neighborhoods.
edit on E31America/ChicagoTue, 09 May 2017 13:58:19 -05005pmTuesdayth01pm by EternalShadow because: add/correction

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

When you say "the community is fed up with the police" and there's nothing to support that other than you saying so, that's called bias.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Appears there may be a little more to the story than "the community is fed up" as the OP would like us to believe.

Instead, they asked commissioners to investigate certain elected leaders in Forest Lake and the events that led up to the disbanding of the police department. Multiple people spoke out during the public comment portion of the meeting, claiming Mayor Ben Winnick is using a public office to carry out personal vendettas. “We’ve heard a lot about corruption from people here. When you’ve got a mayor whose wife was convicted of stealing the opponent’s campaign signs and gets convicted, and the mayor takes out the police department, in policing we call that a clue,” POFM President Lt. Bob Kroll said.

CBS article

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Appears there may be a little more to the story than "the community is fed up" as the OP would like us to believe.

Instead, they asked commissioners to investigate certain elected leaders in Forest Lake and the events that led up to the disbanding of the police department. Multiple people spoke out during the public comment portion of the meeting, claiming Mayor Ben Winnick is using a public office to carry out personal vendettas. “We’ve heard a lot about corruption from people here. When you’ve got a mayor whose wife was convicted of stealing the opponent’s campaign signs and gets convicted, and the mayor takes out the police department, in policing we call that a clue,” POFM President Lt. Bob Kroll said.

CBS article

I fixed it princess... just for you

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

CBS article

I fixed it princess... just for you

Aw. Look buddy I'm sorry that being confronted with your bias is traumatic for you, but there's no reason to start calling people names. Just y'know...don't make things up and people won't wave the BS flag in your face.

You can do it. It'll require some maturity and integrity from you, but I'm sure you can handle it if you try really hard.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Is that your opinion?

Or is this a facebook quote thing? I don't do facebook.

Sounds like the town likes their police, and the Mayor and his wife need a little jail time.

edit on 5 by Mandroid7 because: corr

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join