It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dominant protection from HLA-linked autoimmunity by antigen-specific regulatory T cells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Type 1 diabetes, psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis and sclerosis have something in common. The reason for the disease is that the immune system by mistake begins to attack some of the body's own cells.
Therefore, the diseases are called autoimmune.

But now researchers have found a mechanism that apparently keeps the immune system's cells from attacking.
The fact that it is found in several autoimmune diseases suggests that there may be a general mechanism.
Central to this mechanism is a protein called DR1.
Potentially, that knowledge may lead to a "vaccination" against autoimmune diseases

This has only been tested on mice so far, but it gives hope to patients with autoimmune diseases that in the near future, medicin might be avaible that can cure those diseases.

Source

Cant find a lot of info on this yet, but i thought that those of you with interest in medicin, might want to take a look at this

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
As an Autoimmune disorder sufferer myself (lupus) I am really happy to see this..gives me hope that at some point, I can come off the horrible methotrexate I have to take every week to control my immune system.

S&F

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: destination now
As an Autoimmune disorder sufferer myself (lupus) I am really happy to see this..gives me hope that at some point, I can come off the horrible methotrexate I have to take every week to control my immune system.

S&F

That would be great! it might take a few years before any medicine will be ready, but i have high hopes they figure something out, and i hope they do it fast

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: destination now

S&F

methotrexate is not a nice medicine, it does control Lupus though, by inhibiting Folate metabolism. It is considered an antimetabolite and the med has long term side effects. The vaccination works a different way, it blocks part of the immune system which means you might have some issues with that too.

I have the lupus genes, but I also have reduced folate metabolism naturally. So unless I take folate supplements on a regular basis, I probably won't get lupus or the Spondylitis. RA is also another problem in the family and I have genes for that too, the same thing goes for that. I do take the active form of methylfolate about once a week, I tried it every day and it was too much. But once a week works great. I take methyl B12 with it. Sometimes the gene corrections actually protect us, but evidently the people doing the genetics research on methylation are not tying this together yet.

My cousin died of lupus, RA plagued my sister for many years before she died at forty years old, she was cripled up pretty good, my brother had Spondylitis active and they wanted to kill his immune system, but I told him just to give up the calcium supplements he was taking and it went into remission. He just has the damage that occurred while on calcium. Taking calcium supplements can fire cells up and if you have these autoimmune issues it can make them worse. Calcium is present on receptors and along with glutamate at the other point, it fires up the ion pump to the cells.

That may confuse people, but I cannot put it any simpler than that. WE need adequate calcium, but too much can give us problems. Folate is found in dark green leafy veggies, some people cannot eat much of those. Glutamate and glutamine are interchangeable in the body, moderate consumption and watch not to eat too much aged food.
edit on 9-5-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I have the T cell disorder Sarcoidosis and and the mixed T and B cell hyaline vascular Castleman's disease.

Both are in remission but have left my with neurological damage (small fiber polyneuropathy) that has left me disabled.

top topics

join