It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hanford Nuclear tunnel collapases.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

For this you can 100% blame the democrats that have blocked every place for permanent storage of waste.

Well that's helpful. Blame someone. Anyone.

Nevada didn't want the waste. States rights?

edit on 5/10/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Violater1

But what about it leaking into the ground?

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Is it in liquid form?

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Maybe some of it is?

In an email, Alvarez added that “the tunnels now store contaminated train cars and a considerable amount of highly radioactive, ignitable wastes including possible organic vapors.” And while the older tunnel is reinforced with timber, Alvarez said, “according to a 1997 DOE report, inspection of the tunnels ‘is not feasible because of radiation levels in excess of five roentgens per hour.’ ” A roentgen, or rad, is a measure of radioactive exposure; five roentgens is the annual limit for a U.S. nuclear worker.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Is it in liquid form?

I'm not sure, I suppose it could be, but even if it's not, eventually I would think there would be runoff from boisture , groundwater etc....

Then again I'm no expert

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:33 AM
link   

The budget for Hanford alone is about $2.3 billion in the current fiscal year, about $1.5 billion of that going to the management and treatment of approximately 56 million gallons of radioactive liquid waste stored in underground storage tanks.

WaPo Link

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

“according to a 1997 DOE report, inspection of the tunnels ‘is not feasible because of radiation levels in excess of five roentgens per hour.’ ”

Heh.
I routinely received 250 rads in about 5 minutes every few days for a few months. Slowed the Hodgkins down. While I haven't been able to get quite back to my fighting weight (175), so far no other obvious effects after 30 years or so . I wouldn't recommend it though.

Not making light of the situation, by any means. Nuclear waste is nasty. And expensive.

edit on 5/10/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Glad it worked out for you, ATS would never have known what it was missing

You look a lot heavier in your avatar, guess the camera adds a few pounds.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

The budget for Hanford alone is about $2.3 billion in the current fiscal year, about $1.5 billion of that going to the management and treatment of approximately 56 million gallons of radioactive liquid waste stored in underground storage tanks.

WaPo Link

Well there ya go, so that's another facet that needs to be addressed, ok so they collapse and bury it, how long before it's in the water table?

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:51 AM
link   

I don't know much about this situation over there either, maybe tommorow I will do some digging.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Be sure to wear that shiny silver suit. The one with the hood and gloves, I mean...
For digging...

Get it?

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   

I want to find me some shiny metals.

I will make you a ring!

Goiania incident

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Well that's helpful. Blame someone. Anyone.

Nevada didn't want the waste. States rights?

No one wants the waste, but someone is going to have to take it. There's some good arguments from Nevada's point of view on why that someone should be someone else, but I think that if you look at it objectively it should go to Nevada

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Right in your face, emergency alerts issued, BUT....

Randy Bradbury, a spokesman for the Washington state Department of Ecology, told the AP there apparently has been no release of radiation and no workers were injured.

Sure

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   

I routinely received 250 rads in about 5 minutes every few days for a few months.

That energy was focused on tumors, not random tissues and was turned off, not ongoing exposure from internal contamination. Besides, the risk factor was perceived greater if not treated.

Big difference between medical rads and friggin plutonium (cough) "vapors" from a waste storage containment failure.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   

You are very very wrong! Boiling tap water does not get rid of radioactive material

I thought they were trying to be sarcastic in a sad thread - who doesn't know how deadly plutonium is

Plutonium half life wiki

Pu-239 has a half-life of 24,100 years and Pu-241's half-life is 14.4 years. Substances with shorter half-lives decay more quickly than those with longer half-lives, so they emit more energetic radioactivity. Like any radioactive isotopes, plutonium isotopes transform when they decay.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
A fine of example of negligence with dangerous material. I find that deplorable. Again I will say, we have much safer ways to produce electricity but people at the top chose to not use those designs. Sickening mankind seems to have been the agenda and blaming CO2 for global warming for a 15 Trillion $ tax scheme. Oh, this sucks....I contend this has been the plan for a long time and for nefarious reasons.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
This is far more dangerous than a lot of stuff going on and hardly a word on all the insane crazy media Radiation leaking would have been a disaster.

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I believe, based on reports Peeple found, that the cars were empty. They could be empty and still highly radioactive, possibly used to transport nuclear waste in for processing. Anything that nuclear waste comes into contact with becomes radioactive as the particles are absorbed into it. Even the concrete sarcophagi used to encase waste become contaminated, but on the inner surface only. Radioactive particles have trouble penetrating far into concrete.

That means groundwater will be contaminated, has been being contaminated for quite some time, but to a low enough level that dilution is preventing any problem outside the plant itself. The solution for pollution is dilution.

If there is actual cause for concern, it is to surface materials as the tunnels opened to the ground level.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 10 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Leonidas
Brent and Armand from BLM came up to the house to find out what we knew and the county sheriff called our cattle boss to find out what he knows.

Anna King is doing good local reporting if you would like to follow her reports.

@AnnaKingN3 she is updating info as she gets it and is on local TV and radio.

So either nothing serious is going on:"just another Hanford F*up" (which are many and unending)...

Or we are all out of the loop because we only live and work here...

Have you heard anything else?
We need members like you to keep us informed. You are the ATS boots on the ground.
Thank you for contributing to my OP.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join