It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Costs for tumor removal surgery in USA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Hello, friends.

My father has been recently diagnosed with a tumor which is close to his knee.

He consulted 3 doctors and one of them suggested flying to USA (We're from Brazil) and have a surgery to remove it.

As the tumor is dangerously close to nerves which could compromise foot/ankle movement if damaged, he is considering doing it overseas.

The thing is I have absolutely no idea as to medical costs in the US, except for what we hear over here (that it is damn high).

So, I'd like to know if any of you know this information.

Thanks!

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
It's going to vary widely from office to office. The thing to remember is there is one person that you don't want under paid....and that's your surgeon.

All kidding aside, call some surgeons in the US and explain the situation. You may get one to take your case on pro bono.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I would check other countries as well, that have decent medical care. Europe, China....the US is likely really really expensive

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: gusamaso

This might help you. The article is pretty recent. I am sure there are a few Medical Tourism organizations but I don't know of any. I just found this in a search.

www.imtj.com...

. VoyagerMed seeks to attract overseas patients to top US hospitals.

VoyagerMed is a medical tourism marketplace for international patients seeking high quality medical care in the USA. Based in New York City it suggests that at least 500,000 overseas patients a year seek treatment in the USA.

Saving money is not the driving need, but the platform seeks to direct US and overseas patients to places offering the most suitable treatment, at value for money prices.

There is no central state website or organisation offering information on US hospitals and doctors so patients struggle to connect with the right doctor for them, at the right price.

www.voyagermed.com...
edit on 8-5-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
If your father's case is unique, rare or difficult, you might also check with university teaching hospitals. I know what that sounds like, but while you are thinking they are just learning, at the same time, many university hospitals are also research hospitals. They will be on the cutting edge and they might be willing to offer you a good deal because you can bring them a case they can study both for research and for learning purposes.

You can get really good care and possible breaks in cost at the same time for bringing them something they won't have everyday access to.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I don't know what health care system you have in Brazil, but if you are Canadian and need health care in a US facility, Canada will pay the tab as part of their system. of course, you can do what everyone else does, visit the US, declare yourself an illegal immigrant, get on welfare, and the US will pay.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
I don't know what health care system you have in Brazil, but if you are Canadian and need health care in a US facility, Canada will pay the tab as part of their system. of course, you can do what everyone else does, visit the US, declare yourself an illegal immigrant, get on welfare, and the US will pay.

From what I have heard, Canada's insurance does not pay for any medical bills in the USA. If your a Canadian traveling here, they sell term policies for the trip for your family. I guess they are not that expensive if you get a one month policy. Otherwise Canadians pay the whole bill if something happens here on their trip. I talked to someone online that was down in Disney world in Florida and had a health event. It cost them a lot of money for the ER. Their Canadian coverage doesn't pay here.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Think of a big number then triple it, that should get you close. I would suggest you to shop around in other countries.
a reply to: gusamaso

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
With cancer (going through a lot at the moment in my family) one thing i've learned that the first stage is to identify what sort it is then you can nuke it with correct chemo/radio to reduce it as at least it makes it smaller and if possible easier to remove.

My aunts been moved to palliative care and thus we don't know how long
but she has had a very rare condition, I had a scare with bone cancer and my mums had the most aggressive form of breast cancer, uncles had his stomach removed so the bugger is more common than most people think.

Luckily other than travel costs being in the UK it cost us nothing (we'd basically pre paid with our NI contributions)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your dad. You might look into having it done in Costa Rico. Quite a few people from the USA travel down there to have surgery done as it's as good as here and much cheaper. My best,

new topics

top topics

join